Manas

Can Meditation heal brain damage?

12 posts in this topic

I am currently suffering from some kind of brain damage due to doing large amounts of weed (of low quality)  and some smack over a period of time like years.

Has anyone gone through this and healed himself successfully. I have failed tests due to this ,earlier I used to score much higher I was a A + scoring student.

But due to some mental problems exaggerated with these drugs I failed tests. 

Kindly answer. 

@Manas I dont think meditation can do this for you

you need to reset your brain receptors. Something powerful like ibogain might be a look at but this is just guess.

Stay sober, exercise and eat well, sleep well, study hard. Meditate as well daily, it has shown to help the brain to be more healthy.

Qigong and yoga as well.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@kamwalker Clinincally its not diagnosed, did took a ct scan which didnt show any concerns but ct scans dont show it all i read it.

The point is I used to easily remember a whole book it a matter of days but now remembering a whole chapter becomes a struggles.

I did took lsd (high dose) like 5 months back but it had only very miniscule effects on me and I was feeling that my brain was healing. I was getting more focused after taking it but didnt went to a full blown trip cause of the mental blocks I guess. Nevermind I am trying to meditate 3 hours daily itiis working a bit but its very slow should have done it way back.

I know lsd is like the best nootropic for me but it cant be available right now cause im broke and living with my mom and she doesn't understand lsd 

even though she is a doctor.

I recommend taking the recommended dose of Omega 3 (which is pretty high, like 2 serving of salmon per week). Omega 3 won't regenerate your brain cells but it will help protect it against any other source of damage against toxic agents. Everyone has contact with toxic substances on a daily life (like cleaning product) and suffer some very small amount of brain damage. With Omega 3 you can minimize that.

Furthermore, a mushroom called Lion's mane has been reported to induce neurogenesis (growth of new brain cells) in adults. This is not a psychoactive substance, more of a supplement that helps regrow brain cells. You may benefit in learning more about Lion's mane mushroom and you can buy them online. 

You should also keep in mind that the problem here is 2 fold. There's the actual brain damage which you can help with supplements and there's the emotional pain of having damaged something which is very important to you. What you experienced on LSD was likely the latter. Be careful not to identify with the brain damage as you could subconsciously "play out" the role of someone who is brain damaged because that's what you think you are. Yet those thoughts are proof of a healthy brain.

Edited by 4201

@4201 that’s sort of what I was getting at. I don’t want to write off the possibility of there being actual brain damage because I have never met OP, but I also know it’s possible to convince yourself of this as well especially for younger people. 

I can only relate my personal experience, but I absolutely experienced very real damage from attempting a pharma-huasca trip with DMT and harmala powder purchased online.  The DMT was very pure (I know where it came from) and I had smoked it previously with no issues.  Whatever was in the harmala powder WAYYYYY overactivated my system (presumably my serotonin receptors) and left me FRIED.  Psychedelics after that have been a disaster... LSD and shrooms attempts were total trainwrecks.  Even at the six month point, the damage was very obvious.

My approach has been to take 1 full year off from any drugs.  I'm not quite done with my year, so I can't tell you if it's worked or not, but subjectively what I can feel in my sober state seems to have improved gradually.  I supplement with Vinpocetine, Lion's Mane, Magnesium Threonate, Theanine, Curcumin, Ashwaganda, and occasionally some other nootropics.  I've been eating lots of fruits (like blueberries), working out 5 times a week, and meditating daily for 1-2 hrs.  I also work full time, play instruments, video games, and socialize.  I think this is about the best we can do.

It will be very hard for me if on my next trip attempt the damage is still there.  But in some ways this has been good for me, as I have really deepened my meditation practice and learned the limitations of / attachment to tripping.  Best of luck to you, I'm sorry you're going through this.

Edited by Flyboy

@Manas Additionally to what others said, I would recommend looking into neurotransmitter precursors. 

Maybe your neurotransmitters got out of balance because of your regular drug use.

Tyrosin gets converted into dopamin, epinephrin and norepinephrin
Tryptophan and 5-HTP gets converted into serotonin
GABA can be taken as a supplement
Different forms of choline get converted to acetylcholine

Off course you can get this amino acids through food too, but in supplement form it is a targeted intervention.
You can try them based on your symptoms, to see if they are useful for you.

@Flyboy yeah man its used to be a stuggle ,I used to fail at doing some things and get frustated and do drugs to cope up with it. Finally in some control 

and on positive side will get a meditation habit

On 10/27/2021 at 8:11 PM, Manas said:

I am currently suffering from some kind of brain damage due to doing large amounts of weed (of low quality)  and some smack over a period of time like years.

Have you actually gotten this diagnosed from a medical professional? Hard to believe you would get significant brain damage from weed. Unless you were smoking K-2 (otherwise know as spice / synthetic weed).

@Terell Kirby I live in India and use to smoke any kind of weed. The good qaulity weed was expensive for me so I used to smoke any kind of it.

I tell you here it gets much worse than synthetic weed you get in western countries.