itachi uchiha

What is epistamology.how can i learn it

15 posts in this topic

I hear this word often.what the fuck is epistamology.how can i learn it.is it important.i do not see leo do an exclusive video on it.i get the idea that it is some kind of hot topic.

There is category of books in the booklist that i haven't read. 

This episode is all about epistemology.  Maybe Leo should have put that in the title, lol.  Summary is here.  

Epistemology is the study of knowledge and how do you know what you know.  It's about telling the difference between truth and falsehood.  

Edited by FlyingLotus

Reading philosophical works written by people who grapple with the subject of epistemology is also another way to learn.

Plato's Republic is perhaps one of the best works on the subject. Not because the conclusions Plato reaches are ones you'll agree with (indeed many of his argument and conclusions seem absurd some millennia later), but because of the method used throughout the book is a good demonstration of epistemology as a process and a practice.  One that involves examining the underlying assumptions one uses to reach conclusions about the world.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Epistemology is a manifestation of the seeker's mindset.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Epistemology is the branch of philosophy dealing with knowledge. What is knowledge, is knowledge possible, how do we know things, etc etc.  And yes, it’s probably one of the most important things you could possibly study.  

Edited by The Lucid Dreamer

@itachi uchiha

Leo's booklist has around 20 or so recommendations on metaphysics and epistemology, a good portion of which are focused on deconstructing Scientific Materialism.

Which is a fine thing and a good start, but I also feel that he doesn't put enough emphasis on the uses of epistemology outside of deconstructing mainstream scientific narratives.

You might also consider the following works for a more well rounded (though still complementary) perspective on epistemology:

• Metaphors We Live By, and  Philosophy in the Flesh : George Lakoff
  • The Embodied Mind : Thompson, Verella, and Rosch
  • The Republic : Plato
  • The View From Nowhere : Thomas Nagel

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

2 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

Is leos books on his booklist enough for learning epistamology@The Lucid Dreamer @Gesundheit2 @DocWatts @FlyingLotus

I don't know. I don't have the booklist, and I rarely if ever read books to begin with.

But your question assumes that someone out there could possibly have the one true knowledge, and that you should learn it from them, given the fact that they want or even could teach it to you.

I would start by questioning those assumptions first.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@itachi uchiha If your goals are about developing a clear, empowering personal epistemology (or worldview, beliefs or perspective) you should check out the books in the Emotional Mastery section.  

Edited by FlyingLotus

@FlyingLotus leos book in emotional mastery are all gold.also is the book in reikeian therapy and shadow enough to learn them.did u check ken wilber book on shadow work

31 minutes ago, itachi uchiha said:

@FlyingLotus leos book in emotional mastery are all gold.also is the book in reikeian therapy and shadow enough to learn them.did u check ken wilber book on shadow work

Those two books are great.  If you have trauma, shadows and limiting beliefs they will skew your perspective about reality and yourself in unhealthy ways.  So anything to heal all that is great.  I'm not familiar with Ken Wilber's version of shadow work but it sounds intriguing!

Epistemology tries to answer the question "how do you arrive at what is true?".

It's not really a set of facts that you can write down and memorize. It's more like a skill or a 6th sense that you have to build up over time. The only way to begin is to open up some maps and start exploring, establish some reference points, widen your perspective. Study a diversity of historical figures, read between the lines and see the parallels in your own life and the world around you. What is the deeper lesson?

Another crucial part is to study one's own mind, because truth-seeking always involves a truth-seeker. How does the mind play tricks on itself? What are its drives, its illusions, its biases? In what ways did the people of the past fool themselves? How are you fooling yourself?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.