Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guillem12

Random anxiety attacks, stop meditating?

7 posts in this topic

I sometimes have strong anxiety, it usually lasts for few minutes. I'm very stable and happy in general, but sometimes this anxiety comes, and it feels so bad, too real.

I stopped taking any kind of drug because any kind of stimulation gave me dangerous anxiety.

Should I stop meditating the days when these episodes come?

First notice you already don’t actually believe the thought ‘random’. If you really did you would never ask what could be done about it or if you should or shouldn’t meditate relative to the anxiety.

Then inspect the theory that stimulation gave you anxiety. Break that down literally. Is anxiety in some thing, like nutrients are in a banana?  Does stimulation have anxiety and gives it to you? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

16 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Then inspect the theory that stimulation gave you anxiety. Break that down literally. Is anxiety in some thing, like nutrients are in a banana?  Does stimulation have anxiety and gives it to you? 

Amazing anology !! :P

No you should meditate more when these episodes come. 

Just do an experiment:

When you have anxiety, meditate, see what happens.

When you feel anxious another day, don't meditate, and see what happens. 

I'd also recommend, if you find meditating isn't good for anxiety, to meditate doing bady-scanning and experiment with focusing on different parts of your body and see if specific parts reduce the anxiety or not.  Even focusing on the feeling of anxiousness can help release it.  

You can also experiment with focusing outwardly, at some external object.

Basically I'd say just experiment putting your focus on all the senses and experiences to see how you feel; see, hear, taste, touch, smell, and all inward and outward variations of them. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Notice if you are pulling the poison out. In that case find the pace at which you are comfortable to continue. It may be more meditation, meta, whatever you do for yourself, until you get through this.

It may be that the way you have been going about things have come to an end, and now it's time to take a different turn and try something that fits you better.

No, don't stop meditating. Think about What do you wanna be teaching your brain? You want to teach it to continue meditating or doing whatever else you care about while feeling anxiety and other feelings.

Do not stop what you are doing just because you feel terrible. This will teach your brain a bad habit. I can relate with the anxiety. Sometimes i get bombarded with painful painful feelings that are very distressing. But i do not allow them to rule my life.

Your goal is to build very good mental fitness. Keep that in mind. You are training your mind to push through difficult emotions and etc while at the same time doing what you care about.

Edited by SQAAD