sleep

What method/practices are you currently using for spiritual work?

34 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, GreenWoods said:

I practiced around 500 hours of kundalini yoga and it did silence my mind a bit, but the real benefit IMO was the blissful and deep meditation that it led to. Which was not a result of a silent mind but of the energetic stuff. (You can certainly reach deep and blissful meditation through normal meditation, but IME it is far more difficult that way)

Perhaps I paraphrased the words of SantataGamana wrong, I think the deep meditative state you're mentioning is closer to what he meant. 

3 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

Divine energy has a similar effect but is more powerdul because it is divine. It is intelligent and you could say it has a higher frequency. Prana is dull and dry in comparison. 

This divine energy thing you mention sounds interesting, I might give it a try. 

4 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

I think I might actually gonna do that at some point, thanks.

You're welcome dude, I've only glanced at it but it seems like a good review of the research that's been done on meditation. 

@GreenWoods By the way, I agree with you that meditation might not be the "fastest" route to god-realization, but I still think the abilities developed with it come in handy for whatever other practice you do. The Mind Illuminated, for example, develops various capabilities related with attention and awareness. If you have these skills you can use them to better focus on the energies you feel during kriya yoga practice, or control dullness during sleep yoga practice. 

Edited by sleep

2 minutes ago, sleep said:

@GreenWoods By the way, I agree with you that meditation might not be the "fastest" route to god-realization, but I still think the abilities developed with it come in handy for whatever other practice you do. In The Mind Illuminated, for example, develops various capabilities related with attention and awareness. If you have these skills you can use them to better focus on the energies you feel during kriya yoga practice, or control dullness during sleep yoga practice. 

Yes, meditation is certainly a good preparatory tool.

And strong concentration can lead to nondual consciousness. But I think you need to be talented to get deep that way. Like for example Frank Yang. He is very naturally talented. 

Otherwise it will take veeeeery long, and even then you will probably only discover a few of all the facets of awakening.

2 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

Yes, meditation is certainly a good preparatory tool.

And strong concentration can lead to nondual consciousness. But I think you need to be talented to get deep that way. Like for example Frank Yang. He is very naturally talented. 

Otherwise it will take veeeeery long, and even then you will probably only discover a few of all the facets of awakening.

Yes, I think you might be right. I don't really view meditation as my be-all-end-all or anything, but I think I'll benefit from it for future practices. By the way, I plan on implementing sleep yoga into my practices into the future, so thanks for your post, it will come in handy. Do you have any additional practices you would like to recommend, like any books or teachers? 

4 minutes ago, sleep said:

. By the way, I plan on implementing sleep yoga into my practices into the future

Amazing :)

Concentration practices are very helpful for sleep yoga. I'm actually currently implementing them into my routine.

7 minutes ago, sleep said:

. Do you have any additional practices you would like to recommend, like any books or teachers? 

For sleep yoga or enlightenment in general?

My main recommendation for enlightenment is transmissions, as they have the best benefit/effort ratio (apart from psychedelics).

14 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

For sleep yoga or enlightenment in general?

My main recommendation for enlightenment is transmissions, as they have the best benefit/effort ratio (apart from psychedelics).

I meant for sleep yoga. I'll try transmissions, but they don't resonate with me if that makes sense? It might be my atheistic materialist mind at work, but I'm not very good with the kind of practices that rely on chakras, vibartions, energy, etc.

20 minutes ago, sleep said:

I meant for sleep yoga. 

I don't think I have any other recommendations apart from what is in the sleep yoga thread. 

21 minutes ago, sleep said:

. I'll try transmissions, but they don't resonate with me if that makes sense? It might be my atheistic materialist mind at work, but I'm not very good with the kind of practices that rely on chakras, vibartions, energy, etc.

Why don't they resonate?

do you think they are woo woo and don't work?

11 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

Why don't they resonate?

do you think they are woo woo and don't work?

I guess. It's not like I think the people that say they do wonders for them are lying, but I think their effectiveness relies on the people believing in them in the first place, which I find pretty hard to do. 

Edited by sleep

11 minutes ago, sleep said:

I guess. It's not like I think the people that say they do wonders for them are lying, but I think their effectiveness relies on the people believing in them in the first place, which I find pretty hard to do. 

You can believe Leo's radical insights but can't believe that transmissions work?xD

It doesn't matter much whether you believe in them.

Important is your openness, receptivity and sensitivity.  And also the advancement of your energetic system.

4 hours ago, GreenWoods said:

You can believe Leo's radical insights but can't believe that transmissions work?xD

I don't lol. 

4 hours ago, GreenWoods said:

It doesn't matter much whether you believe in them.

Important is your openness, receptivity and sensitivity.  And also the advancement of your energetic system.

I'm giving them a try to see if they work for me. 

Go as hard as you can with everything. Then realize it’s not going to work and you’re okay with that. Stop all practices. Be happy. Then the huge shifts you had been longing for will be revealed to have been so close you actually can’t miss them, which is why by trying to know them, you apparently missed them. Then be done, choicelessly.

Not actual advice. 100% joking yet 100% matter of fact. But certainly not prescriptive.

Edited by The0Self

10 hours ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

At the moment:

• 2 hours of meditation (resting in silence / self inquiry) daily
  • Gratitude, prayer, self love, contemplation (morphing into each other)
  • A few kriyas, but not a full routine, just ~10-20 minutes
  • Wim Hof + Alternate nostril breathing
  • Journaling, mostly by speaking out loud
  • IFS therapy (reading about it + implementing self-therapy sessions)
  • Self massage / myofascia work
  • Semen retention (despite having relapsed, back at it)
  • Guided meditations / poetry
  • Deep sharing and opening up in a spiritually/love imbued social group

How do you have time to work..

21 minutes ago, herghly said:

How do you have time to work..

I don't do all of that every day. At the moment I'm on semester break + sick leave so I don't do anything besides spiritual work, social life and being a bit lazy.

My challenge is now to structure my life in a way that I can still meditate 2 hours a day, do some of the other practices, but also study, work my part time job and work on my life purpose. It's not gonna work the way I'd like, so let's see how it's gonna evolve.

I decided for myself that spiritual work is my top priority and that the other stuff needs to be aligned with that, not the other way around. I'm gonna test the practicality of that.