Terell Kirby

Curt’s resistance to Truth: TOE podcast

74 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Can you at least admit the possibility that maybe "microwave-safe plastic" is safe?

I can admit that maybe it's not safe. But I think it probably is.

So my idea is that maybe we can find some common ground on the "maybe".

Immediately after I wrote that, I heard you say "maybe" in the video 6 times within 17 seconds. (From 1:48:48)

Edited by Blackhawk

14 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Can you at least admit the possibility that maybe "microwave-safe plastic" is safe?

I can admit that maybe it's not safe. But I think it probably is.

So my idea is that maybe we can find some common ground on the "maybe".

I never said it was definitely unsafe. Safety is a function of risk assessment.

My point is that the risk of microwaving plastic is not worth the benefit. There is no good reason to microwave plastic.

Life requires us to make wise choices precisely in situations of incomplete information. Wisdom is not needed when all information is known. Wisdom is most needed when a situation is highly uncertain.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I never said it was definitely unsafe. Safety is a function of risk assessment.

My point is that the risk of microwaving plastic is not worth the benefit. There is no good reason to microwave plastic.

Life requires us to make wise choices precisely in situations of incomplete information. Wisdom is not needed when all information is known. Wisdom is most needed when a situation is highly uncertain.

I understand. I agree that it's a risk assessment. But in my opinion the risk is low.

For me the benefit (reason) is huge. Because I microwave plastic about 5 times per week. I would kinda starve if I wouldn't do it.

Edited by Blackhawk

5 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

I microwave plastic about 5 times per week.

Notice that this is an attachment of yours which corrupts your perception of reality and your ability to make wise choices.

It is not hard to use glass and ceramic.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Notice that this is an attachment of yours which corrupts your perception of reality and your ability to make wise choices.

It is not hard to use glass and ceramic.

I don't think it's worth the extra hassle. Extra dishes etc. But I'll think about it.

Edited by Blackhawk

2 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

You have attachments too.. for example about the covid-19 thing.

I am not attached to Covid. It's just the most responsible thing to do.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I am not attached to Covid. It's just the most responsible thing to do.

I see.

7 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I don't think it's worth the extra hassle. Extra dishes etc. But I'll think about it.

I just find it fascinating how differently habits can develop. I haven't used a microwave in years, rarely in my whole life, and certainly almost never microwaved any plastic. Why are you so dependent on that, other than habitualness? Because even for financial reasons, you can cook a lot more for cheaper. I'm curious

Edited by peanutspathtotruth

1 hour ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

I just find it fascinating how differently habits can develop. I haven't used a microwave in years, rarely in my whole life, and certainly almost never microwaved any plastic. Why are you so dependent on that, other than habitualness? Because even for financial reasons, you can cook a lot more for cheaper. I'm curious

Because I don't have the time, energy, or interest to cook.

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

Because I don't have the time, energy, or interest to cook.

No interest in healthy nutrition? It's hard to live healthy only from microwavable food. Takes like 15 minutes to make an amazing veggie dish, or even snacking it raw, just saying :)

5 minutes ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

No interest in healthy nutrition? It's hard to live healthy only from microwavable food. Takes like 15 minutes to make an amazing veggie dish, or even snacking it raw, just saying :)

I take a good multivitamin supplement+extra vitamin D. I bet my nutrition levels in my blood are top-notch ?

12 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I take a good multivitamin supplement+extra vitamin D. I bet my nutrition levels in my blood are top-notch ?

That's unfortunately not how it works :( But getting off topic here, thank you for sharing your perspective ?? 

I'm surprised Leo didn't talk almost at all about Spiral Dynamics in this interview. I'd think that Curt's audience would be really into that.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Flyboy You don't understand what you're talking about and I am done tryng to persuade you.

Cool man, yet another evasion to a highly nuanced and advanced challenge to your work.  If I'm incorrect, engage my arguments directly.  I'm every bit as smart as you, Leo, and have put tremendous effort into understanding.  I'm happy to be wrong, but your unwillingness to engage with ANY of my direct challenges speaks volumes about which of us is self-deceived.

Your presumed infallibility is so dangerous.  I really believed in you, so I'm really disappointed in your lack of self-honesty here.