Someone here

Eating animals immoral?

15 posts in this topic

Murder is immoral, right?  So, is it immoral to eat animals? We don't kill them in defense, it's murder. Right?

I used to have a problem with this. I was a vegetarian once (no longer).. Some people do consider this murder,
but I don't really consider this murder since some
animals are meant to be eaten in many cultures.
Of course, in India it is illegal to eat beef, so I tend to think it sometimes depends on one's culture.

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Someone here Eating a plant is as immoral as eating an animal don't you think so? both has life both has consciousness.

Edited by m0hsen

8 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

@Someone here Eating an animal is as immoral as eating a plant don't you think so? both has life both has consciousness.

Well we don't think that plants have consciousness. They are alive but they are not sentient (they don't experience pain). 

-Osho

If you don't need to physiologically like the majority of people, I consider it unethical.

Edited by Windappreciator

9 minutes ago, Windappreciator said:

If you don't need to physiologically like the majority of people, I consider it unethical.

But do you think we should make a distinction between "eating" an animal and "killing" it.  I agree that killing animals is equally immoral as killing people. But not the eating part if you didn't do the slaughter yourself. 

.. dunno about you guys, but I've never 'murdered' an animal. When I buy meat, someone else has already done the killing for me.  :D

-Osho

@Windappreciator

It's a little different. It's not like I go to a hunter and ask "please sir, would you mind killing an animal for me to eat?" What happens is I go to a shop. There is meat there. I buy the meat. Whether or not I buy the meat, there will still be meat there which means there will still be animals being killed. If everyone gave up meat, then yes, there would be no meat industry. But that will never, ever happen. So what difference does it make if one less person is buying meat? (this is similar to the question about why vote

-Osho

@Someone here

Well if that were a serious inquiry then the difference it makes reflects on your character and those around you and the ones that didn't die for mere lazyness.

Perhaps consider making yourself more clear and easy to understand. 

-Osho

Morality is completely relative and an ego based construction, so let's throw that out the window for this conversation.

What is "real" let's say is suffering. So if you were attempting to be more conscious (for whatever reason), wouldn't you notice that minimizing suffering seems to be a byproduct of that? Why wouldn't it be?

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

.. dunno about you guys, but I've never 'murdered' an animal. When I buy meat, someone else has already done the killing for me.  :D

Ain't that convenient ;) but look how that's just a clever way to shift the responsibility off of your conscious because the pain (suffering) would be too much (because killing the animal would be too much for your conscious, you implied).

Would you not agree you are still part of the equation here, being the customer and investor of this whole ordeal?

hrhrhtewgfegege

As for us eating animals as a form of murder, it wouldn't really be a form of murder. Animals are not protected under the constitution and are not defined as creatures who have rights (why should they have rights when they cannot even recognize those rights? That is why murders are executed because they have violated someone else's right to life and have blatantly shown they do not recognize their own.) The only rights animals have is not to be tortured and abused. I don't think slaughtering animals is a form fo abuse (though there are some cases, once in awhile, that they do horrible things...PETA enjoys exploiting this as much as they can...even when it's decades old!)

You cannot apply the same rights that humans have to animals. I know...Animals are important to the ecosystem...Then again, we seem to breed so many...we're not hurting the ecosystem.

-Osho

Let me tell you kind heartedly that you will not find an argument against it that hasn't be thoroughly examined before and found insufficient.

Better to stay away from rationalizing your decision.

You eat animal products and there is a horrible truth behind it in doing so. You can stop it but you don't want to.

It's easier if you admit this to yourself.

Edited by Windappreciator

Not another of these threads.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.