TheSelf

Neuralink brain interface save&restore state of mind feature!

11 posts in this topic

So In the Joe Rogan podcast with Elon Musk (I think the first one), I remember he claimed that one of the revolutionary feature of the interface would be that you can save and restore a state of mind with it! What's does it mean? 

Well it basically means that eventually you can save a state of your mind exactly the way you are experiencing it and later restore that state, like if you are experiencing that experience now! For example a experience of being in a festival music, a stadium, even an amazing psychedelic trip I'd say! ? and etc..and restore the way you were experiencing it to your current state of consciousness every time you want! It'd be the coolest shit ever right?

What's your thoughts on this? If you have done some researches on these interfaces do you think it is really possible?

Edited by m0hsen

I would be very skeptical of the claims that are being made here. I don't think we are nowhere near that kind of capability, not even close.

Glory to Israel

@Scholar

But if I remember correctly, Musk claimed that we are a few years (about 5 years) away from these to happen! Even things like transfer of thoughts directly to others through the device!

Why are you so skeptical about this? What's your reasons?

Edited by m0hsen

9 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

@Scholar

But if I remember correctly, Musk claimed that we are a few years (about 5 years) away from these to happen! Even things like transfer of thoughts directly to others through the device!

Why are you so skeptical about this? What's your reasons?

Well Musk isn't the smartest person around. I have seen absolutely no evidence of any of this being possible, let alone it having been achieved. From what I know we are at a very, very rudimentary level in terms of what we can do with this technology.

Transfering thoughts to me seems like a really, really naive notion. The brain is not a computer, so to assume that all brains are standardized in a way where each ones thoughts would even make sense to someone else seems to be a big stretch. Don't forget the brain is plastic, it doesn't just have one way of doing things, and it doesn't have some sort of unifying operating system. So to me it seems like it's a typical issue of Elon Musk not being able to  predict all the problems that are ahead of him.

The guy is a visionary, let him have his vision, but realize that it's not reality.

Glory to Israel

@Scholar that make sense! but he is also not a stupid person to just make some claims out of the thin air, also have you seen that monkey video, playing a video game controlling it with his thoughts?

That was very very impressive to me!

In case you haven't watch this:

So with the current speed of development of these interfaces I think we are not that far away from achieving those goals! And I'm kinda optimistic about Musk's claims!

Edited by m0hsen

42 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

@Scholar that make sense! but he is also not a stupid person to just make some claims out of the thin air, also have you seen that monkey video, playing a video game controlling it with his thoughts?

That was very very impressive to me!

In case you haven't watch this:

So with the current speed of development of these interfaces I think we are not that far away from achieving those goals! And I'm kinda optimistic about Musk's claims!

But this is exactly what I mean. That's a really basic thing. All it really is is mapping the motor control activity and then translating it into the cursor moving. You have a brain activity that is clearly related to a specific outcome, and one that basically has two input dimensions (y and z axis). Now I want to see the same with thoughts.

I don't think these interfaces are developing as quickly as it seems at all. I mean this is the most rudmentary thing you could possibly do, and how long did this take? They thing they will be able to save brain states in 5 years? I just don't buy it at all.

Glory to Israel

Musk says plenty of hypey things.

You ain't saving no state of mind, Lol. He has no clue how mind works.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I love to watch a conversation between leo and elon. The masterminds at work.

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But Leo, they did it in Cyberpunk. 

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Can you explain a bit why you do think it's impossible please?

Edited by m0hsen

16 hours ago, m0hsen said:

Well it basically means that eventually you can save a state of your mind exactly the way you are experiencing it and later restore that state, like if you are experiencing that experience now! For example a experience of being in a festival music, a stadium, even an amazing psychedelic trip I'd say! ? and etc..and restore the way you were experiencing it to your current state of consciousness every time you want! It'd be the coolest shit ever right?

What's your thoughts on this? If you have done some researches on these interfaces do you think it is really possible?

This is a smaller version of the immortalists' dream of uploading your entire consciousness to a supercomputer, then downloading it to another human body or robot at a later time to accomplish immortality. Many claim humans already have the technology to implement this, while many more claim this will be a reality in 50 to a hundred years.

? It sounds good but it's wishful thinking. It will not happen in 500 years. But I am open to the possibility that it can happen in a million years. But the last sentence also means I am open to the possibility that it won't; and maybe it won't ever happen.