Blackhawk

There's a new guy at my work who I think is a hindu

24 posts in this topic

And I think he's from India, he looks like it.

He prays at work, I think several times. He takes his shoes off and goes on his knees on a "carpet", and then does the classic thing with bowing down with face towards the ground and arms stretched out forward.

So.. what would happen if I would tell him that I like advaita vedanta?

I think advaita vedanta is a branch of hinduism, but advaita vedanta is nonduality. Would he think that believing in advaita vedanta is a sin or something? Would it make him hate me? Or the opposite? Maybe he would like it and get positively surprised that I like advaita vedanta?

I like religious people. He likes me and I like him so we could maybe have something in common with this hindu stuff. It's extremely rare that a swedish guy isn't a 100% materialist so he would for sure get surprised if he would know that I'm kinda spiritual.

Maybe I even could mention that I like to watch Swami Sarvapriyananda on YouTube.

But I don't know.

@Preety_India

Edited by Blackhawk

And I have read Bhagavad Gita, The Upanishads, The Concise Yoga Vasistha, Ribhu Gita, Ashtavakra Gita, etc.

Edited by Blackhawk

Just ask him: "Are you open to talk about hinduism and exchange our perspektives?" 

3 minutes ago, BadHippie said:

Just ask him: "Are you open to talk about hinduism and exchange our perspektives?" 

I have social anxiety, I don't talk with people, and I have zero social skills, so that question would be too advanced for me.

I guess I first need to be 100% sure that he's from India and is a hindu. Right now I'm only 99% sure. I guess I could start with "Where are you from?"

I think I should've put this thread in Self-Actualization..

@Blackhawk Do you know for sure he's a Hindu or do you think he's a Hindu?

From what you're describing, he sounds more like a Muslim to me. The 'praying on his knees on a carpet', as you describe it, is a Muslim religious practice. It's called a 'Namaz'. They do it 5 times a day.

He may not even be Indian. He could be from some other Asian country or the Middle-East! I mean, he could be Indian too, not discounting that possibility.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

12 minutes ago, Parththakkar12 said:

@Blackhawk Do you know for sure he's a Hindu or do you think he's a Hindu?

From what you're describing, he sounds more like a Muslim to me. The 'praying on his knees on a carpet', as you describe it, is a Muslim religious practice. It's called a 'Namaz'. They do it 5 times a day.

He may not even be Indian. He could be from some other Asian country or the Middle-East! I mean, he could be Indian too, not discounting that possibility.

No I don't.

I see, yeah maybe hindus don't pray like that. In that case: nvm about this thread.

But it's easy to see the difference between people from asia, middle east and India.. but maybe I'm just stupid.

Edited by Blackhawk

Indians generally prefer America. I haven't heard Indians going to European countries. Maybe if they do, it would generally be Germany or UK. 

So i don't think he is from India. Less likely. 

Indians most likely settle in America and Canada and sometimes Australia. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

19 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Indians most likely settle in America and Canada and sometimes Australia. 

or Norway :P. I just recently added a Tamil girl at my work to my snapchat :) 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Just now, Preety_India said:

@Carl-Richard Norway would be rare. My boyfriend was Norwegian. 

Yeah. There is only like 5 million people here :P 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

7 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Yeah. There is only like 5 million people here :P 

I wish we were 1 million instead of 1 billion. xD

@Blackhawk  even if you don't share the same religious interests, chances are he would be pleasantly surprised by someone who takes a friendly interest in his rituals and is open to discussing life as equals, as Muslims are often misunderstood and stereotyped in Europe. Maybe you'll strike up a friendship. Or it may turn out you don't have much in common, but I can't see you have anything to lose. It may help to be open about your social anxiety if you find conversation difficult. But just do what you feel comfortable with. 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

4 minutes ago, snowyowl said:

@Blackhawk  even if you don't share the same religious interests, chances are he would be pleasantly surprised by someone who takes a friendly interest in his rituals and is open to discussing life as equals, as Muslims are often misunderstood and stereotyped in Europe. Maybe you'll strike up a friendship. Or it may turn out you don't have much in common, but I can't see you have anything to lose. It may help to be open about your social anxiety if you find conversation difficult. But just do what you feel comfortable with. 

Okay.

He also often puts his hand on his heart when he says "thank you". I've never before seen a muslim do that, but I guess every time has a first time.

@Blackhawk is Sweden a very isolated place where nobody comes? 

I never hear much about Sweden. It feels like an island. 

6 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Blackhawk is Sweden a very isolated place where nobody comes? 

I never hear much about Sweden. It feels like an island. 

It's a small insignificant country. But we take lots of immigrants, especially from middle east.

34 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

It's a small insignificant country.

You're very modest. Sweden is the largest European country in size isn't it (unless you count Greenland within Europe, but I'm not sure about that). Her population of about 10m is small though, leading to a low population density. So much space, man i'm jealous! :)

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

Just now, snowyowl said:

You're very modest. Sweden is the largest European country in size isn't it (unless you count Greenland within Europe, but I'm not sure about that). Her population of about 10m is small though, leading to a low population density. So much space, man i'm jealous! :)

You have no idea how jealous I am.. I cannot imagine the kind of peace felt in a low population density country. It's the greatest privilege. Cherish it as much one can.