Chrissy j

Help! Life Purpose Confusion Cause Of The Idea Of Enlightenment

14 posts in this topic

So I've been really confused lately. I feel like I want to contribute to the world with a life purpose but no point to it because I have this dumb idea of enlightenment and because "technically" there is no me. I feel like I won't be able to find my life purpose also because of this dumb idea of enlightenment or that it will be a wrong find. I also feel like pursuing enlightenment and just studying personal development might just be the better option in the long run and I should just drop life purpose all together. Maybe one will come when I do become enlightened.  Anyway... I feel lost in delusion especially since I haven't even had an enlightenment experience. I feel like I might just be making up dumb things in my mind and am turning enlightenment into dogma and belief. I also feel I'm overthinking it. I'm really confused and would like some input please. Should I do life purpose since I am still me anyway? I've come up with this dumb idea though to that I'm actually nothing so I shouldn't try life purpose. It would be a waste of time and full time enlightenment work and personal development would be better. Should I maybe turn teaching of enlightenment and personal development into my life purpose? Like I really don't know. These ideas of enlightenment are just becoming limiting beliefs at this point I feel. Any help and advice would do. I feel like i'm lost in delusion land. Would it really be a waste to go after my life purpose? Should I just pursue enlightenment? Cause that might just be the better option. Thank you

Edited by MochaSlap

@MochaSlap Life purpose isn't an obligation, it's simply the strategic pursuit of your passion. If you have no passion and you just want to sit on your ass, then drop the pursuit of life purpose and sit on your ass.

But don't forget, you still gotta eat in this world and pay the bills no matter how enlightened you are.

If you like the idea of being enlightened and working at McDonald's, go for it!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Can my purpose  in life be just freeing myself from " Money slavery". what I mean by money slavery is  having to work in a job from 9 to 5. Having to interact with low conscious people, ect. 

@Muhammad No, that's not a life purpose. That's you setting a goal to move away from discomfort. There's nothing creative in that. There's no love in that. There's no passion is negative motivation. And also, it's totally self-centered: you're doing it only for you. You're not going to accomplish anything great that way.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

definetly personal development, enlightment is hard, but personal development is a sure way to victory, imo

Why do you even need life purpose? Things happen and you just do what makes you most happy, easy.

20 hours ago, Muhammad said:

@Leo Gura Can my purpose  in life be just freeing myself from " Money slavery". what I mean by money slavery is  having to work in a job from 9 to 5. Having to interact with low conscious people, ect. 

Imagine you've reached that point. What will you want to do after it?  (And if you say nothin' think twice.) I think that's the core question that could bring you closer to understanding what a life purpose could be for you. 

@Leo Gura I see. So, MY life purpose should always be about making an impact on other people's life. I got that. I have not bought the life puporse course, that is why I am a bit confused. Anyway, what if you are in a do or die situation. Like, you need to help your self and your familly members financiallywho are in a poor condition. You surely don't think about a life purpose, at least now, right? Is there a Karma that will slap me in the face if my concern now is just making money?!! 

I'm just going to keep working on myself with personal development and start getting serious about seeking along with the course and I should be able to find one that suits me well. Or maybe I'll just drop this and pursue growth and enlightenment only. Maybe a purpose will come eventually. Only time will tell as I keep going forward

11 hours ago, Muhammad said:

Anyway, what if you are in a do or die situation. Like, you need to help your self and your familly members financially, who are in a poor condition. You surely don't think about a life purpose, at least now, right? Is there a Karma that will slap me in the face if my concern now is just making money?!! 

If you've got a do or die situation, you go on solving do or die situations of course. No energy left for having a bigger picture. 

However, the very fact that you are here writing and watching videos shows, that you've at least got the free time and energy to dream, and plan and strategize. Not so much do or die every moment of your time awake. If you create a vision of what extraordinary things you'd like to achieve now, this vision may have enough momentum to carry you even further once your do or die is a little better. If you don't, the karma that bites you in the ass is getting complacent and settled in the only-slightly-better life that you create to help your financial situation. 

I'd suggest you think about your talents, and how to implement them on a very practical level to help you and your family, but don't let ethics and strategy and a sense of contribution to the world out of consideration. If you don't feel like pursuing a noble value, at least don't go agains them. 

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect and old post but similarity to the original posters comment I am having some difficulty understanding this too and would appreciate some clarification if possible.

I believe I understand what enlightenment is to the best of my ability without having experienced it, and if everything in my unconscious reality is untrue, how can we have a life purpose? It seems to me that the only way to be truly happy and content would be to wake up and realise enlightenment. So what reason is there to chase some imaginary life goal? For example, if I felt my life purpose was to be a Doctor, Self Help Guru or Vet, I would work towards this and once it was achieved, I would still feel like my life was missing something? Is the point not that we do not need anything external to be happy, we just need to be in the present moment?

I appreciate that getting to the stage of enlightenment can take many years if it even happens at all, but if you are in a stable career that may not be your passion as such, what is the reason to chase something else when in fact it is only an illusion of self tied to your ego. 

This could be some basic misunderstanding on my part, and I hope it makes sense and is clear. If someone is able to help me it would really be appreciated.

Quotes taken from @Leo Gurafirst spiritual enlightenment video that I am using to help base my understanding as well as numerous books by people such as Tolle etc.

“There’s nothing personal about life, which means that everything that you take personally about your life is an illusion. In fact, life is completely neutral and completely impersonal. Even your very body is impersonal. Even your thoughts, your very thoughts about you, are impersonal.

The other thing spiritual enlightenment means is that all thoughts and all beliefs, no matter whether they’re religious, spiritual, scientific or everyday beliefs, are all just stories. They’re not reality and they’re not truth-telling. They are just stories.”

They are stories about reality, but not reality itself. They don’t carry truth about reality, even though we believe that they do. Another aspect of spiritual enlightenment, which is really cool, is that because the you is an illusion and it doesn’t actually exist, mortality becomes irrelevant.

Number two – The other reward you get is lasting happiness and peace of mind. You will have true happiness. What you have now is not true happiness. You are living in a living hell. With this truth, you can actually have true peace of mind, regardless of circumstance.

This is a very cool thing. From the moment you were born and up to today, you have been living your life looking and chasing for happiness. You keep telling yourself that if you watch enough of my videos or if you do enough of the personal development work, you will find happiness.

Well, I hate to break it to you but you never will. You never will. You can already sense it because you have been trying your whole life and it hasn’t been working, has it? Don’t lie. It hasn’t been working.

No matter how many houses you get, girlfriends you get or marriages you get, you are not going to be truly happy. Why? It is not possible because the you is an illusion. This illusion needs to be perpetuated by constant motion. Constant motion creates suffering.

If you want to fix this happiness thing and be peaceful, if you want to be peaceful independent of what is happening in life, no matter if you are rich or poor, if you have a girlfriend or not, if you are married or you’re not, you’re kids are doing good in school or they are not, you’re healthy or you’re sick, you need to be spiritually enlightened. It sounds too good to be true. Again, this is one of the awesome rewards of doing this work.”

Edited by Emptyness

@brovakhiin thanks for your reply. I agree, this is something I have just picked up from my own experience and what I have been told/read and also because I have yet to hear of anything contradictory that I guess resonates with me. An Asian farmer or African tribesman would definitely wonder what I was on about, so would the majority of the population, do you think they are happy/content?

Yes, both are definitely egoic pursuits, at least in my case anyway. I guess my question is more, why would I pursue a life purpose if it would not relieve suffering or make me happy and I understand that your answer is that enlightenment isn't the only way to be happy. So what do you think makes someone truly happy in this life?

Thanks again for your reply to my original post.

@brovakhiin

10 hours ago, brovakhiin said:

-brovakhiin's happiness 101 guide

Well thank you kindly brovakhiin, I appreciate you taking the time to provide the in-depth description and practical advice above, you have definitely given me a lot to think about in more detail and probably helped change my perspective. I specifically enjoyed/took note of the link to evolution which previously I thought of and found painful to accept but your conclusion helped shape this for me as well as some other points which "hit home" so to speak.

All the best to you and thanks again.