Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pluto8

Dont really worry about calories?

12 posts in this topic

In Leo's video where he makes a healthy meal (the salad with eggs), he says not to really worry about calories.

Is there a particular book where Leo learned about calories?

7 minutes ago, pluto8 said:

In Leo's video where he makes a healthy meal (the salad with eggs), he says not to really worry about calories.

Is there a particular book where Leo learned about calories?

You don't need a book. 

If your job doesn't require certain amounts of body fat it's a neurotic approach to eating. 

Take it with a grain of salt, but when I did boxing and lifting, I was hellishly enslaved by calories. I would pack all my calories into one meal at night so I didn't go to bed hungry. I would literally be excited to sleep so I could wake up and eat again. Talk about insanity, lol. I was in great shape, but mentally no better than a pack animal. 

Nowadays I just eat when I'm hungry, and crucially, I eat stuff that is good for the human organism. By doing this, the calories will naturally settle out. No need to count if you are truly listening to your nutritional needs and watching your performance, body-wise, throughout the day. 

He has some of those books in his book list. Worth making the investment. 

Counting calories is a double-edged weapon. On one hand it is useful for self-calibration for people who want to lose or gain weight or who are trying to optimise their performance by using measurable markers and indicators (e.g. marathoners or professional athletes counting carbs, doing carb loading, optimising protein intake to get into a heavier weight category etc.) 

For most people who just kinda want to eat healthy, it is not necessary as long as there is no degree of eating disorder. It can become a stressor and a constant thing on a person's mind whenever a new meal is consumed. Chronic counting of calories can completely destroy relationship with food and turn it into a functional nutrient extraction stripping of the element of enjoyment and pleasure. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Lol, good luck walking the mindfield of nutritional science. Be open minded and base it in direct experience. Find the balance between practice and theory. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

My philosophy is: 

Everything I put in my body is to nourish my body's chemistry/longevity, and make me feel good (calm, energised, awake). 

Paired with quality daily exercise. 

Worrying about weight doesn't make much sense to me; I've never really found a straight answer whether the fat itself causes inflammation, or whether having more fat means there is more risk of inflammation. Also, if you are attached to one particular weight, you're just going to stress yourself out because your weight and physique changes throughout the day. 

Susan Bloom says that calories are one aspect of health, but not to ignore how each food interacts with your cells. 

10 hours ago, Mada_ said:

Everything I put in my body is to nourish my body's chemistry/longevity, and make me feel good (calm, energised, awake). 

:x

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Carbs are responsible for majority of weight gain. You'd be surprised how much calories you'd burn, just by stopping eating bread.

Is there a reason to do it other than to lose weight? 

Because I don't see how eating healthy foods can make someone gain weight in the first place it seems impossible to me. Therefore, isnt counting calorie pointless as long as you eat nutritions, real foods? 

Maybe I just have a fast metabolism and it's actually possible for other people to gain weight by eating veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds, grass fed meats and eggs and this kinda stuff. 

Edited by Rigel

Sailing on the ceiling 

54 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Because I don't see how eating healthy foods can make someone gain weight in the first place it seems impossible to me. 

People have different levels of hunger hormone.

You got lucky. 

The ideal diet option can only be selected after a complete examination and analysis, in consultation with your doctor.

40 minutes ago, myles said:

The ideal diet option can only be selected after a complete examination and analysis, in consultation with your doctor.

Lol. 

My mom knows more about nutrition than my doctor. 

To have an ideal diet you need to adapt it to your genes.