whatishappeningtome

Epistemology: How do is know what is true and what is false?

7 posts in this topic

Edit: Just a slight correction the title should say "How do 'I' know" not "is know"

Hey everyone, recently I've been studying at a high level university and have been composing a lot of essays. Since I'm an undergrad, rather than attempting to create "new" knowledge, I'm expected to study existing research papers and present arguments based on other peoples research. 

This is fine and all and I'm learning about the importance of quality resources, but I was wondering in life- how do you deal with knowing what you say is true or not? 

Information, research and paradigms in many fields is also constantly changing, so when I repeat an idea (even if it is well researched) how do I believe what I'm saying? Do I just put faith in the fact that the peer reviewed studies are likely more accurate than say my uneducated guess and regurgitate their information?

When do I use direct experience when it comes to knowledge? What if I am drawing incorrect conclusions when I use direct experience? 

I know I might seem a bit rambly here, but I'm just trying to deal with the fact that I feel that almost everything that comes out of my mouth is just bullshit, either it's some regurgitated research that I have blind faith or it's knowledge from my own direct experience which I find difficult to verify. 

Any thoughts? 

Edited by whatishappeningtome
spelling

Watch this.

He lays out his entire epistemological foundation (from back in 2017, but it's still really good)

Only thing I'd add as Principle 0 would be something like: "this framework itself is limited" :P

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

How To Discover What's True

Search for it

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

43 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

How To Discover What's True

Search for it

Thank you, found it!

What u know or don't know is subject to be True or Untrue. What is beyond knowledge has other rules. Try to listen silence, for example.

"True" is a mental/logical construct, it basically means that a certain thought is in alignment with a certain perception.

"False", same thing but the thought is not in alignment with the perception.

And, there's no true or false outside of language/logic/mind.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

truth is  God. truth is goodness. truth is love. truth is loving the universe as thyself.