Ryan_047

How To Not Fall Of Track

15 posts in this topic

I have a hard time in continuing my habits that I install for myself.I can't meditate for more than 3 months or do anything  consistently...

I have depression,and that is stopping me from doing a lot of things...I have no motivation and I don't feel any connection to anyone..I just don't really care about anything.Doing a good thing for you requires at least a little bit of motivation,therefore,I find it really hard to continue a habit on a daily basis.Also,please don't ask me about my depression here in this topic,because I know what I need to do in order to cure it and what caused it.I haven't wrote this having this purpose in mind...

As I was saying,I meditated for 3 months using just my will,so to speak...But then I fell of track and since then I'm spinning in a circle...Start a habit,fall of track..start a habit,fall of track..and so on.If I continue this way,I will never break out of depression...So,how can I force myself not to fall of track??Is there a technique other than forcing myself through will?

Maybe you're too hard on yourself. Even expecting perfectionism right away. It's great to strive for perfection, but if you start off thinking

you're going to be perfect right away, that can make your unconscious rebel.

Edited by Emptystickfigure

I have the same problem. I also slack off with the habits I try to install. Especially meditation. 

Realize that persistance is KEY. If you fall off track, accept that. No one is perfect. But keep going because some people get discouraged when they fail. Somrtimes you need 100 tries to do somethimg succesfully. The 99 steps prior are just steppingstones leading to the 1 success that is the reward for your desire to keep fucking going. 

@Ryan_047 Leo has a video called "how to stop backsliding" which I assume is about this. Also the book Mastery by George Leonard talks about this topic of how to not backslide, falling off track briefly. The path of Mastery would help a lot too I feel. Also I would recommend motivating yourself with a vision that you can create for yourself. Leo has a good video called "true vision" and another called a "a vision for the self actualized life." Also motivational videos. I fall off on installing habits all the time haha. It's hard and can take time.  And also love and accept yourself. I sometimes have trouble with this too. We aren't perfect. Muster up the strength you need and go do it! Also getting energy would help. A life purpose would give you lots of energy so that would be a good place to start. And a gym routine and healthy diet would give you more energy.

@MochaSlap Because of my depression I can't get motivated at all,and unfortunately I have no time for gym.I saw all of the videos above but its hard to take action..and that's my problem.

@Ryan_047 I guess you'll eventually just have to do it if you want to get over it no matter how hard it is. You'll just have to get moving even if it is just a little bit at first. Even if your not motivated you'll still have to do it. You can do it. Anything is possible. Don't play the victim. Take responsibility for your life and go get it. Also maybe some therapy would help? 

I have the same problem too dude. Just have to reach a tipping point. To active a feedback system. Or if you don't see things that way, just relax and accept what is, touch your face, feel your breathing. There is nothing to do, and nowhere to be!

Edited by Pramit

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

@MochaSlap I can't get external help like therapy because I don't afford it,but you're right..I have to take action somehow..but its hard for me..today I wanted to meditate but I just couldn't do it..I wanted to move in my meditation position and just...did nothing.

Sometimes I'm able to get things done but sometimes not..and that's the problem because I need to be consistent.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_047 said:

@Pramit can you explain in more depth what is a tipping point?

It's the point of no return. Once you reach this point, your mind will automatically take over and it will become easier to meditate than it will be to do other things. I have never experienced it, and this is pure friction for me. But i think its a possibility. 

To give you an analogy, think of global warming. Right now we are slowly warming up the earth through our emissions. But at some point, the rate of ocean evaporation will be high enough that it will accelerate itself. Like a positive feedback loop that requires energy to activate, but once activated, it will not stop. At this point, the ice caps will also melt, releasing methane, and decreasing the reflection of sunlight from white ice. This will also have another feedback loop. These positive feedback loops will give rise to a "super" positive feedback loop. Thus, at this point it doesn't matter if humans disappeared, the earth will continue warming until new life evolves that can change the equilibrium. 

To give another analogy, think of addiction. First you need to motivate yourself to take in the substance. After that you develop mental dependency, your mind craves for it. If you continue, you will develop physical dependency, which is the point where your body will crave it. At this point, return to a normal state(before addiction) is VERY painful and difficult. 

Traditionally, that is also how nature works (gross oversimplification here, but this is just an explanation). If you study population dynamics, you will see that nature tries to maintain some sort of balance in all things. But that is a lie. If you see the very long term, there is always evolution, always change. Equilibrium is maintained only in the very short term. Eventually one population is eliminated, or one resource is depleted. It's just a matter of time. How did oxygen consuming species evolve? Because anaerobic organisms consumed all the CO2. How did dinosaurs die? Because their adaptations could not save them from the changes that occurred. It will be the same if humans die. It will be because although we are very good at adapting to short and medium term changes, we cannot tackle very long term species wide problems such as global warming. If you study population dynamics or ecology, you will gain an appreciation for this kind of model. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

@Ryan_047 How important are these habits you wish you have? If they are important to you, you will find a way to make them happen. If they aren't so important then you tend to drift off from some habits. 

You need to change your state and the way you internally represent things. I would start listening to motivational podcasts or clips every single morning so you start your day off right and get you in the mood to smash these habits and keep to your goals. Every day! 

Instead of thinking of these habits as a chore, start to think of the benefits and constantly remind yourself why you are doing this. 

SUPER IMPORTANT. If you have time, take a look at "The Path of Least Resistance." It talks about how "structures" in our life determine our behavior (occurs in all nature). In these structures, tension occurs and a need to resolve that tension. For example, tension occurs when you're thirsty, causing you to drink water to resolve that tension. 

Examine the image I attached. 

Conflicts in these structures arise when there are two competing tension-resolution systems. "On is based on your desires. The other is based on an incompatible dominant belief that you are not able to fulfill your desires." In your case, the desire is  to implement certain habits, but have a limiting belief that you won't succeed because of past failures. When you begin to resolve the tension to implement your habit, the intensity is decreased. On the other hand, as you pull further and further away from your limiting belief, the tension in that system increases until you are pulled back into your old ways. Then the cycle repeats. 

This is how most people live, and can be quite frustrating. No amount of motivation will change this cycle, although it may help in the short-term. As you've seen, it is not enough to gain long-term results.  The only solution is to change the underlying structures and move towards the creative orientation. I'm not an expert on the subject, so I really suggest you pick up this book to get a better understanding at what I'm saying. Here are the basic steps.

1. Visualize the end result. Like a painter approaches an empty canvas, you must vividly see what result you want to create.

2. Identify your current state compared to where you want to be. This way, you can take note of all the obstacles in your way (lack  of motivation, etc.) 

3. Take action. In the creative process, creation is about learning what does and does not work. If you don't have the willpower to do meditation at night, for example, do it when you wake up. 

4. Learn the rhythms of the creative process. The high energy and excitement when you first get the ball rolling, following through on the process regardless of your emotions or not, to finally reaching the end result. 

5. Creating momentum--the more we learn to envision and create, the better we get at doing so. 

This process will amaze you at how effective it is if you follow the steps. Hopes this helps! Seriously cannot emphasise the importance of this book. 

shrinking-back (1).jpg

Edited by TeenVisionary98

Maybe this will help brother 

Sadhguru is trully able to get to you deeply 

I personaly think that greatest motivation comes from making your life purpous about others not about youreself. Doing do stuff like meditation stops being ugh i dont whant to and becomes if i wont do i may be able to miss this one thing this piece of knowledge or insight that otherwise would alow me to help those whom i live to help see? Hope i helped atleast a little brother goodluck to you and be strong as your true higher self!