Space

I Don’t Want To Join The Rat Race But I’m Being Pressured By Parents

19 posts in this topic

I’m currently unemployed, 23 years old, living with parents (who are financially supporting me) and i’m being pressured to join the rat-race (i.e. full time job in London). I finished university earlier this year (Yea, that was a total waste of money!) and then travelled for a few months - that’s why i’m unemployed.  Every single part of me doesn’t want to work full time, but obviously I can’t live at home forever and my life purpose as a freelance artist is still very much in its early stages. It just seems like having a full-time job will severely restrict either my life purpose or my consciousness work, both of which are hugely more important than some lame-ass job which I don’t really want. 

I want to be independent, support myself financially and ultimately move out of my parents place as soon as possible, but it seems as though the full time London job is the only option. It’s like I can’t escape the standard life trajectory (school-university-job-family etc) that my parents are so desperate for me to go into.

I was wondering if anyone in these forums is currently working a full-time day job, whilst also pursuing their life purpose and committing to meditation and consciousness work every day? Would be really interested to hear how you deal with it all and/or advice you may have for me.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Your parents mean it well. Is a full time job there 40 hours a week? If you start your own business expect to atleast spend double that. I run two companys and still have time. Its all about setting preoritys.

If you want something you have to work for it. There are no shortcuts or magic pills.

@Reality

I'm an aspiring writer, 19 years old. Believe me, I know my fair share of what it's like to dread a 9-5 and the prescribed societal route. 

In two weeks I'm shipping off to navy bootcamp. I see it as a decent compromise with my writing goals. I get to see the world and get some good benefits and also not too much distraction in my free time, so I can keep on writing and meditating. I'll be stable, getting new experiences and I can still work on what's important to me, while also not needing to waste time and money in college without decent guarantee for getting a job. I'm pretty happy with my situation. 

Good luck to you on your journey. I hope you can find a satisfactory path.

2 hours ago, NTOgen said:

Why would an undemanding part-time job not be enough to support yourself in the interim?

Yea, well I think that's what i'm gonna try and do for now.

Just anxious about not having enough time to do the things that I actually want to do. 

21 hours ago, Reality said:

I’m currently unemployed, 23 years old, living with parents (who are financially supporting me) and i’m being pressured to join the rat-race (i.e. full time job in London). I finished university earlier this year (Yea, that was a total waste of money!) and then travelled for a few months - that’s why i’m unemployed.  Every single part of me doesn’t want to work full time, but obviously I can’t live at home forever and my life purpose as a freelance artist is still very much in its early stages. It just seems like having a full-time job will severely restrict either my life purpose or my consciousness work, both of which are hugely more important than some lame-ass job which I don’t really want. 

I want to be independent, support myself financially and ultimately move out of my parents place as soon as possible, but it seems as though the full time London job is the only option. It’s like I can’t escape the standard life trajectory (school-university-job-family etc) that my parents are so desperate for me to go into.

I was wondering if anyone in these forums is currently working a full-time day job, whilst also pursuing their life purpose and committing to meditation and consciousness work every day? Would be really interested to hear how you deal with it all and/or advice you may have for me.

You're not alone because I dread the rat race myself! I observed how miserable it can transform people and I focus on preserving my authenticity but I still want to focus on financial independence! 

On 11/1/2016 at 3:23 PM, Reality said:

I was wondering if anyone in these forums is currently working a full-time day job, whilst also pursuing their life purpose and committing to meditation and consciousness work every day? Would be really interested to hear how you deal with it all and/or advice you may have for me

There's no easy solution here, you're going to have to get creative based on your personal circumstances.

I'd recommend a PART-TIME job, full-time only if really necessary, which it sounds like it's not yet.

For instance, when I decided to do the entrepreneur thing, I leveraged my graduate degree and teaching experience to become a private tutor on the side. Really good money, but also not requiring a lot of time / mental focus. That's money to stay alive and support your dream.

Ask yourself: what skills do you have that you can leverage?

If you really can't think of something, then I don't know, get a job as a bartender or something else simple.

You don't need a perfect long term solution, you just need enough to keep buying yourself at least a couple months.You might have to entrepreneur-esque stuff like crash on a friend's couch.

You'll probably have to cut out everything else though. Little socializing, little entertainment or free time of any kind.

But hey, if you're really an artist, this is an easy choice to make. Extra work > free time any day. So if this is that important to you, you've GOT to find a way. Just figure it out, no excuses.

1 hour ago, aurum said:

There's no easy solution here, you're going to have to get creative based on your personal circumstances.

I'd recommend a PART-TIME job, full-time only if really necessary, which it sounds like it's not yet.

For instance, when I decided to do the entrepreneur thing, I leveraged my graduate degree and teaching experience to become a private tutor on the side. Really good money, but also not requiring a lot of time / mental focus. That's money to stay alive and support your dream.

Ask yourself: what skills do you have that you can leverage?

If you really can't think of something, then I don't know, get a job as a bartender or something else simple.

You don't need a perfect long term solution, you just need enough to keep buying yourself at least a couple months.You might have to entrepreneur-esque stuff like crash on a friend's couch.

You'll probably have to cut out everything else though. Little socializing, little entertainment or free time of any kind.

But hey, if you're really an artist, this is an easy choice to make. Extra work > free time any day. So if this is that important to you, you've GOT to find a way. Just figure it out, no excuses.

The private tutoring thing sounds really interesting actually. I've never thought about that before. It could certainly be an option for me so i'll definitely look into it.

I have the vision (thats the easy part), just need a more concrete future plan.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

Cheers man!

4 hours ago, Zane said:

You're not alone because I dread the rat race myself! I observed how miserable it can transform people and I focus on preserving my authenticity but I still want to focus on financial independence! 

Yea I have a few friends who ended up getting pretty depressed because they had to work a 9-5 (more like 8-6) job just to pay the bills. Still, I suppose it's not like that for everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love their 9-5. 

@Reality I love my job. I wouldn't say its my life purpose but, combined with a minimalistic lifestyle, it gives me lots of freedom and cashflow to invest in myself and assets that generate even more cashflow. The minimalistc lifestyle really makes the difference.

London is a very expensive place to live. You might want to consider moving somewhere cheap, and cut all expenses as much as possible.

You gotta get creative here!

You're not gonna make it happen unless you really think outside the box. You're bootstrapping it. Do some research and think creatively about how to set yourself up and what exactly you need to make the life purpose feasible. Then reverse-engineer a strategy to get there.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Dumpster dive, food bank, couchsurf. And just put yourself out there and see what God/Synchronicity will provide.

Maybe even beg, and meditate during. Maybe have an inspirational/spiritual sign. 

Cheers

14 hours ago, David1 said:

@Reality I love my job. I wouldn't say its my life purpose but, combined with a minimalistic lifestyle, it gives me lots of freedom and cashflow to invest in myself and assets that generate even more cashflow. The minimalistc lifestyle really makes the difference.

Yea I think that's the only way to go if you're gonna be working full time. I have a pretty minimalistic lifestyle at the moment, but there's definitely things i'll have to cut out or atleast reduce. 

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

London is a very expensive place to live. You might want to consider moving somewhere cheap, and cut all expenses as much as possible.

You gotta get creative here!

You're not gonna make it happen unless you really think outside the box. You're bootstrapping it. Do some research and think creatively about how to set yourself up and what exactly you need to make the life purpose feasible. Then reverse-engineer a strategy to get there.

Woo a reply from Leo! 

You're right, London is insanely expensive. Bare minimum £800 a month ($1000) just for rent. 

Gonna try to persuade my parents to let me work somewhere near home so I don't have to pay for rent. Then i'll have some money to get going with.

Thanks for the feedback! 

On 11/1/2016 at 7:23 PM, Reality said:

You can work full time doing something which promotes consciousness work but it takes a lot of out of the box thinking to do that. Most jobs aren't ideal for it and is all ego game but there are exceptions.

@Leo Gura is right so I'd follow his advice and also @Reality knows what he's doing by following a minimalism lifestyle. If your truly dedicated towards a life of focusing on consciousness work you can find a way to dedicate your time on it.

For me I live alone at 17 independently atm so I think it's possible for you also. I only got where I am by taking huge risks and following my intuition nomatter how scary that seemed at first. The problem is most people love their comfort bubble and we fear the unknown so don't take action. Here are ways you can start to get out of the rat race: 

• RV living/Build tiny home (cheap effective way so making it easier to meet basic survival needs with less money)
  • Build your own online source of income (passive income if you don't want to work at all)
  • Build a business that suits your values
  • Become a monk or live in a culture that focuses more on what you desire to accomplish in life
  • Live off the grid or land (this is possible many people have accomplished this regardless of what people think) (grow own food, buy own land and more to meet basic needs)

The list goes on and on the problem is people are close minded to these ideas because either they are afraid of the unknown of love the comfort of mainstream living too much to change. 

If you want to get out of the schooling system that can be more tricky but is possible. Remember that if you don't want to follow the rat race then your goals should be to find a way to live in a way meets your basic needs so you can focus on the things such as meditation and conscious work. If your still attached to material things and luxury than the things I said sound like hell to you. I really hope the best for you. Keep us updated on this but remember there is always a way to live your dreams. If you want something just go grab it. 

Peace.

Edited by Live Life Liam

4 hours ago, Orange said:

Thought this video would be appropriate :) 

Completely agree with the video. Anyone reading this and truly wants to get out of the constant chasing of your tail then watch this video. I've seen it before but he speaks a lot of truths especially if you want a lot of free time to Meditate and focus on internal work. Life should be easy and society has been pretending too long that they are some how different from nature and need to work so hard just to survive.

You can build a house, grow your own food, make your own clothing all through simple mother earth if you truly want. Yes you will look poor and may have to move country but like I say it's up to you what your goals are but realise a life like this is definitely possible. 

10 hours ago, Live Life Liam said:

You can work full time doing something which promotes consciousness work but it takes a lot of out of the box thinking to do that. Most jobs aren't ideal for it and is all ego game but there are exceptions.

@Leo Gura is right so I'd follow his advice and also @Reality knows what he's doing by following a minimalism lifestyle. If your truly dedicated towards a life of focusing on consciousness work you can find a way to dedicate your time on it.

For me I live alone at 17 independently atm so I think it's possible for you also. I only got where I am by taking huge risks and following my intuition nomatter how scary that seemed at first. The problem is most people love their comfort bubble and we fear the unknown so don't take action. Here are ways you can start to get out of the rat race: 

• RV living/Build tiny home (cheap effective way so making it easier to meet basic survival needs with less money)
  • Build your own online source of income (passive income if you don't want to work at all)
  • Build a business that suits your values
  • Become a monk or live in a culture that focuses more on what you desire to accomplish in life
  • Live off the grid or land (this is possible many people have accomplished this regardless of what people think) (grow own food, buy own land and more to meet basic needs)

The list goes on and on the problem is people are close minded to these ideas because either they are afraid of the unknown of love the comfort of mainstream living too much to change. 

If you want to get out of the schooling system that can be more tricky but is possible. Remember that if you don't want to follow the rat race then your goals should be to find a way to live in a way meets your basic needs so you can focus on the things such as meditation and conscious work. If your still attached to material things and luxury than the things I said sound like hell to you. I really hope the best for you. Keep us updated on this but remember there is always a way to live your dreams. If you want something just go grab it. 

Peace.

Thanks for the advice man, really appreciate it! :)

@Reality Think about what you really want to do. See if you can find a job or internship doing that. Learn and save money, then maybe branch out and do your own business.