renegade_bee

How To Develop A Strong Work Ethic?

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, i've been struggling very hard with developing a strong work ethic. Now i'm not a hard worker at all, but i'm very ambitious and it is quite frustrating. If there are people further along the journey of self improvement that could provide some tips?

Im the same as you a lot but try Leo's procrastination techniques(his videos on it), 

Also make yourself accountable for your failures. 

I have the same happening to me, going to work on it though.

If I find a way to build a strong work ethic I will tell you :)

I'd recommend reading Mastery by George Leonard - it's a recommendation from Leo. A big point the book harps on is enjoying being on the "plateau", or the place in your journey where you are not seeing any improvements but only practicing to practice, knowing that persistence will eventually lead to improvement, and eventually mastery. Whatever you are pursuing, or even if you aren't pursuing something in particular, give this a read - it's a great source of inspiration.

I'm also a person who considers himself lazy yet ambitious (although sometimes I think I'm being hard on myself). Mastery hasn't completely flipped my work ethic upside down but I believe it's shown me the light on not only "grinding", but enjoying the grind. I consider myself to be on the same path as @Leo Gura just a long ways behind him but I believe that finding satisfaction and enjoying the process is key in your pursuit of whatever it is you are pursuing.

Thanks guys,

Flynn

Leo's videos are great, but too much theory, and too long.

Start small, work your way up. My goal is to meditate after awakening every day of February, have not broken since

Many, Many videos, but you just have to do the fcking thing - No excuses, I can give you more data, but it would be pointless. Motivation is bullshit, Passion is bullshit. Just become disciplined. 

Edited by JevinR
More data injection

In my experience, people who have a truly weak work ethic (versus people who are just lazy or lack motivation for the particular task at hand) are people who feel entitled or better than others. 

So, to figure it out for yourself, you need to watch your patterns and figure out your attitude about getting work done. It might just be that you truly hate what you are doing - and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you discover that deep down you feel that you just shouldn't 'have to' do it, you gotta get rid of whatever beliefs you have that make you too important for it. 

... It's harder to explain than I thought when I first decided to respond to this topic, ha! 

But in my experience as a boss especially, there was a big difference in the amount and kind of problems I had with lazy workers vs the ones who thought they were too good for the job. 

Most of the times (and this may sound weird) but before I've got to do something, I would curse to myself , in combination with heavy breathing to get me pumped up, do 20 push-ups and just do the damn thing. I will tell myself what the consequences would be if I did not do it. 

Conclusion:

Before a "must" I'd give myself an ego boost, so I think the task is up ahead is nothing. 

However in certain situations you can't do this obviously, then I simply do this in my head by the way of thinking.

1 hour ago, Anicko said:

In my experience, people who have a truly weak work ethic (versus people who are just lazy or lack motivation for the particular task at hand) are people who feel entitled or better than others. 

So, to figure it out for yourself, you need to watch your patterns and figure out your attitude about getting work done. It might just be that you truly hate what you are doing - and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you discover that deep down you feel that you just shouldn't 'have to' do it, you gotta get rid of whatever beliefs you have that make you too important for it. 

... It's harder to explain than I thought when I first decided to respond to this topic, ha! 

But in my experience as a boss especially, there was a big difference in the amount and kind of problems I had with lazy workers vs the ones who thought they were too good for the job. 

Hey :)

you just make me realized that it's my problem!

Thanks!

I wouldn't suspect that I'm so cranky.

You've done good job describing it :)

now I just need to find remedy :D

@Tom Beast

The remedy is to get rid of whatever beliefs are holding you back! 

If it's your personality that is 'lazy', it's easy enough to make yourself get things done. I'm 'lazy',  but in reality, I just prefer to do quiet, tedious tasks. Give me ten boxes of junk to sort where I can sit in one place and I'll do it for hours, but give me a job that requires running back and forth across the place and I will be miserable doing it. 

If it's your attitude holding you back  that's harder because you have to admit to yourself 100% honestly that you think you're the bomb and shouldn't have to do whatever it is. No one wants to admit that, even privately to themselves. But if you don't,  you can't be better.