Joshuas

What is a mystic?

12 posts in this topic

I could use some clarification. What does a mystic do? How does a mystic live? How does someone become mystic like? I have hunches, but I mostly have been feeling strangely drawn to the word mystic for years now, even slightly before I found this place which is about 6 years ago now. So I just came up with the idea, why not just ask here.

What is a mystic? And how does one become one? Is wisdom the defining feature? Or mastery of consciousness work? an adept spiritual seeker? Someone who yearns to know nature deeply, beyond conventional knowledge out of a deep intuition for more? Someone who helps the people he meets in his life in meaningful and impactful ways in a seemingly effortless approach? Or none of those?

I realise giving a hard explicit answer to my questions doesn't actually answer the actual question, but I would still like to know. So it would be very dear to me if you could give an answer, especially if you have a worthwhile one to give. That would be appreciated.

A  mystic is like a toddler learning to walk. Except this toddler is walking through the field of consciousness and mental phenomena.

Learning, growing, exploring.

A master is one who through themselves or others is "believed" to have attained mastery of an aspect of this frontier. 

Edited by SourceCodo

Gone

@SourceCodo

So you're saying anyone who is inclined towards truth seeking, spiritual growth, goodness can be called a mystic? And those who became better than others at this to a highly significant degree can be considered masters? There is definitely truth to that, but it doesn't seem to be the answer I'm looking for.

Also, what is the difference between 'walking through the field of consciousness' and a regular person going through life, they're conscious as well, going through/being consciousness, but you wouldn't call regular people mystics by far.

I'm really looking for a comprehensive answer to the question 'what is a mystic?'.

I think a mystic is someone who makes it his life task to deepen the mystical state of consciousness. Deepen, not attain. Because one who hasn't yet attained the mystical experience (for example a novice monk or some other person on the path) can't be considered a mystic, for he doesn't even know what a mystical experience actually is. 

So a mystic is someone who embodies enlightenment. It's (relatively) easy to just have Satori, but then get back into ordinary everyday life and more or less forget about it. Such a person I wouldn't consider a mystic either, because he doesn't anymore bear any deep relation to the mystical. But say some Zen master or great Yogi who works every day to deepen and embody his Satori/Samadhi in everyday life is someone who I would call a true mystic. 

Look at the mystics across every belief system: Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, etc. The defining feature is direct realization of truth, beyond conceptualization. This direct realization is recognized as the ultimate authority, and the only voice worth trusting.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

A good introductory video for Christian mysticism:

A mystic IMO is a person who has mastered to stay in the present moment, in the being state primarily.

by means of sensory awareness or just feeling the entire body and be truly unaffected by pleasure or pain sensations.

As Mr. Goenka would put it, no aversion or attachment to impermanent sensations.

Edited by Pacific Sage

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

29 minutes ago, Pacific Sage said:

and be truly unaffected by pleasure or pain sensations.

u cant avoid pain

Could anyone give some examples of mystics? be it from history or fictional stories. 

Thanks for the replies guys! there is some good stuff in there. I think the most essential thing for me is to get more and more acquainted with the vision of becoming a mystics so that it can soak in and take proper roots.

4 hours ago, Joshuas said:

Could anyone give some examples of mystics?

Western mystics: John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, Meister Eckhart

Eastern mystics: the Buddha, Shankara, Meera, Ramakrishna, Ramana Maharshi

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

no mind, all love

and the embodiment not the appearance