preventingdiabetes

Going through Spiral Dynamics stages by meditating all day?

12 posts in this topic

This is more of a theoretical question but is it possible to go through the stages by secluding yourself and meditating all day?

I think you would def need to have access to the internet or books or somethin

All it takes is a lucid glimpse. In that seeing, there are no stages.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Moksha Is it possible to elaborate on that in detail? Map it all out? :)

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

From my POV: spiritually-yes, emotionally-yes... and in for other areas of life maybe a little but I think there will be a plateau because the person won't get up and go practice living life and taking action. But I think if someone experiences mystical states or whatever while meditating there is probably high potential of positive effects crossing over to other aspects of life like relating to others compassionately or being open-minded to new ideas.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:21 PM, John Paul said:

From my POV: spiritually-yes, emotionally-yes... and in for other areas of life maybe a little but I think there will be a plateau because the person won't get up and go practice living life and taking action. But I think if someone experiences mystical states or whatever while meditating there is probably high potential of positive effects crossing over to other aspects of life like relating to others compassionately or being open-minded to new ideas.

What about cognitively? If a Stage Orange person were to seclude himself and meditate all day his entire life like a monk, could he still develop himself up to Turquoise or even higher? Could he even exhaust his desires that way? 

I wonder what @Leo Gura has to say about this. If being a monk could not only develop your waking up process but also your growing up process, the most ideal way to live is to be a monk - though that's very hardcore.  

I have a feeling no.  I really don't know though.  I think one part of why I say this is because Wilber and others talk about how people can develop spiritually but not in other lines of development.  Like you can have super woke Zen masters but who are still Stage Blue morally or something.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

in my opinion it needs to go hand by hand..The "spiritual" side will help you avoid many traps and therefor get there quicker.
Imagine you're a homeless but you are awaken to your true nature, you will still need a way to take care of your survival.
It basically means that you need to develop certain skills on top of spiritual progress. 

Hope it helps

On 3/4/2021 at 7:29 PM, integral said:

@Moksha Is it possible to elaborate on that in detail? Map it all out? :)

What I meant was that awakening for most of us is not a permanent state, but more like a series of Self-realizations. In Self-realization, there is no gravitational pull by the conditioned mind, just steady, Conscious awareness. The point of meditation is not so much to awaken, but to develop the spiritual discipline to stay awake for longer periods of time, and in more turbulent conditions.

When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering like the flame of a lamp in a windless place. In the still mind, in the depths of meditation, the Self reveals itself. Beholding the Self by means of the Self, an aspirant knows the joy and peace of complete fulfillment. Having attained that abiding joy beyond the senses, revealed in the stilled mind, he never swerves from the eternal truth. He desires nothing else, and cannot be shaken by the heaviest burden of sorrow.

- Bhagavad Gita 6:19

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

1 hour ago, Moksha said:

What I meant was that awakening for most of us is not a permanent state, but more like a series of Self-realizations. In Self-realization, there is no gravitational pull by the conditioned mind, just steady, Conscious awareness. The point of meditation is not so much to awaken, but to develop the spiritual discipline to stay awake for longer periods of time, and in more turbulent conditions.

When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering like the flame of a lamp in a windless place. In the still mind, in the depths of meditation, the Self reveals itself. Beholding the Self by means of the Self, an aspirant knows the joy and peace of complete fulfillment. Having attained that abiding joy beyond the senses, revealed in the stilled mind, he never swerves from the eternal truth. He desires nothing else, and cannot be shaken by the heaviest burden of sorrow.

- Bhagavad Gita 6:19

2021 goals?

It’s amazing how my heart feels when I read it?

On 08/03/2021 at 3:39 AM, Matt23 said:

I have a feeling no.  I really don't know though.  I think one part of why I say this is because Wilber and others talk about how people can develop spiritually but not in other lines of development.  Like you can have super woke Zen masters but who are still Stage Blue morally or something.

Does he give action steps for growing up through the stages? 

6 hours ago, preventingdiabetes said:

Does he give action steps for growing up through the stages? 

I'm guessing in some places ya.  But most of the stuff I've seen of him online is him coming from a more theoretical and meta standpoint, so not much technical or practical stuff.  

But you don't need him really.  Like, I'm not saying he doesn't have value, but I'm saying that, say, if you wanted to grow along a certain line of development, just research the types of skills and techniques and practices/teachings, etc., in that line which are usually considered things to help you grow.  Like if I wanted to grow in my moral line of development, I might start reading and contemplating different philosophers (preferably higher in the spiral than I am at) who talk about this stuff.  Maybe do some examination of my ethical beliefs and where they come from.  Or maybe if i wanted to improve my emotional line, just look at basically the whole therapeutic industry and a huge portion of the self-help industry for techniques and the like.  For example, the Sedona Method.  

Though, I'm not sure if Spiral Dynamics is a distinct line of development on its own since I heard it tracts values.  So, it might be different than other lines, like sexual, interpersonal, moral, kinesthetic, cognitive, etc..  @Leo Gura or others, can we get input here?

So, I'm guessing that it's distinct from other lines of development, but I also imagine that one's SD center of gravity will probably be, in general, the area where your other lines are as well.  But not necessarily.  I honestly haven't studied this stuff enough to know.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins