Orange

Never Mind Actually It's Not The Same Topic Exactly So I'll Still Ask :p

9 posts in this topic

To the risk of sounding like a heretic in this forum, is meditation really necessary?  Or is awareness and mindful throughout the day enough?  What do you think? Because both are about observing without judgement and then letting go right?

Edited by Orange

What's the difference?

A good meditation is the ultimate form of awareness. You'll have to decide for yourself if you think you need that. 
I can only speak for myself and meditation has changed my life completely. 

Why does this question come up more and more lately? Meditation is the best thing about self actualising. It feels great and it provides amazing benefits along the way.
Why would you want to cheat your way out of that?

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

What's the difference?

Exactly,  I don't know if there is a difference.

When I think about meditation, I think about someone sitting down and observing the breath. And letting thoughts pass like little clouds. 

And now awareness would be simply doing the things you do in your everyday life except you won't do it unconsciously but instead you will do all of these mindfully. Is that meditation though?

Meditation raises your consciousness extremely powerfully. And, yes, being observant throughout your day also raises your consciousness, but not as much in my direct experience.

And, come on, it's just sitting and waiting for a timer to ring. 

If you don't want to meditate, don't meditate. You can make much more spiritual progress by  observing yourself and being mindful during the day than by sitting still for 30 minutes. That's actually a more valuable skill if you can bring awareness into every minute of your life instead of limiting it to a short time where you sit and do nothing. 

Some people like meditation and it's great for them. For some reason, they feel the need to convert everyone. Don't listen to them. You know best what works for you and what doesn't. 

That being said, if you  feel the desire to meditate, there's nothing wrong with it and it can be a wonderful experience, but not if you do it just because everyone says so. 

@Orange Where is the "skill" of being aware supposed to come from? How are you supposed to be aware with all this crazyness going on everywhere if you never trained to do it?

Meditation is training awareness and it's highly effective training. Normal everyday life ain't a good trainer. It's more like the complete opposite. It trains unawareness. 

You don't have to meditate for very long. I often just meditate 20 minutes and then sometimes I close my eyes for a couple of minutes when I get the opportunity and call it meditation. Just get in the flow and sit on a chair for a couple of minutes. Ez pz.

@Orange don't believe in anybody. test and you'll find out. sincerity is about wanting to experience. there's no other way for spiritual growth or maturity.

unborn Truth

@Orange

If you are not working on your mindfulness by meditating, your mindfulness will die out eventually. Just like when a plant does not get water, it dies. And you might go unconscious again. Consciousness needs to be maintained and when you maintain it by meditating daily. But then again, I could be wrong and this claim might not be true. It would only be true if you lost consciousness when you were not meditating and I cannot conclusively prove that. Only you can notice if not meditating decreases your consciousness. So try it and compare your level of awareness when you are not meditating and just being mindful to doing both :)

Ok, thanks peepsipeeps! That was all very helpful 

Edited by Orange