StateOfMind

What's the difference between these 2 types of enlightenment

6 posts in this topic

i don't know if everybody could make that distinction between the two....

1st types is "the Carl Jung way" which is to basically integrate the shadow, (my theory is when you conflict the ego with other parts of its self they "cancel" each other and the ego dies and and nothing will be left except the self.

2en type of enlightenment is "The Buddha way".

51 minutes ago, StateOfMind said:

1st types is "the Carl Jung way" which is to basically integrate the shadow, (my theory is when you conflict the ego with other parts of its self they "cancel" each other and the ego dies and and nothing will be left except the self.

What do you mean by this?  

When I heard Jung's way, the first thing that came to mind was A) he's talking about something other than the Self in terms of enlightenment, then B) maybe he means using shadow work as a way completely integrate yourself such that you have no more baggage and can see reality more clearly or something like that.  I'm still not too sure, nor am I sure what he means by the Self in his terminology. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23

They're all connected in a way...

The hero journey myth represents death a rebirth (things going full circle)

300px-Heroesjourney.svg.png

then there is Jung's model of the psyche which is, you become whole by integrating and being conscious of all parts of yourself.

e8c1294901715d075bb70440ede39420.jpg

there is also the hierarchy of needs... which is "another way" of enlightenment. which can be achieved by reaching the top of the pyramid (self actualization) and then going beyond... (ego transcendence).

maslow-needs-TC.png

@Emerald @Leo Gura

I'm i making any sense? :)

Buddhist enlightenment involves deconstruction of knowledge and shifts in awareness. It also provides answers for all the existential questions about reality because it's a path of seeking the absolute truth.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

I read something like this in one of Peter Ralston books. I'm really, really paraphrasing here:

You can discover and collapse all your neurosis and issues and you will be left completely pure, but for the last duality of seperation - you can't break that without enlightenment.

edit:

ok, I didn't get the exact quote, but I did get some quotes from his book to think about:

You don't attain enlightenment by pursuing personal change, annd you won't transform yourself simply by having a few enlightenment experiences.

If you follow this letting-go principle [here he means all these shadow/emotional etc. contradictions] to its end, it must lead you to your true nature, since nothing else will be left!

so yeah, I know, sort of two oposing claims, but maybe it gives some perspective to take into account.

Edited by okulele

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

Frankly, I'd say you are sort of talking about the two axes of self-actualization and enlightenment... they are more like parallel and complementary.  If you want to be a happy, whole, actualized, and effective person AND know the absolute truth, you'll need to do both.  Neither axis have an "endpoint", though if you get through the Buddhist paths you will be "dwelling in perceptual nonduality," which I suppose is considered enlightenment or liberation or whatever.  I think the meditative path is necessary to make this a permanent condition, as the separate self is incredibly entrenched in every aspect of our psyche and sensations, and doing the thousands of hours of work is necessary to really root this out at a physiological level.  Ralston-style contemplation (or Kriya yoga) may offer glimpses of enlightenment, and 5-MeO may offer utterly deep peak experiences, but ultimately both fade into "memory" and therefore concept, and thus not the "real thing" per se.  But, since it's a journey, obviously those things are very helpful as you progress and probably very necessary steps.