Dlavjr

Any composers here? How do I start

40 posts in this topic

I managed to weasel my way into community college with a scholarship that covers tuition and I'm going for a music degree. I'm in my first year and I started composing for fun with Sibelius and I'm finding myself dive deep into video game composition without the initial intention to, but loving the whole trip. 

My question is, is there anyone else further along on this journey, and what should I look out for on this path? Obviously the more I compose the better I'll be, but I know that music can be an unstable path that many follow but few can handle. I have a strong sense that this could be my purpose with how easily it's coming to me and how strong I'm naturally drawn to it. 

I've got no tailored advice for you since I have no professional experience in this field, but I'm curious to hear your music if you have anything to show us :)

Besides, any step #1 in LPs like yours is to build a portfolio of your best creative works.

In the real world, people only care about results. So you need to be able to show that you can have results ready on-demand.

This could be good practice for you. Compose something and share it with us. Let this be your step #1 (make a soundcloud for easy sharing).

Over time, I suspect that you'll want to begin networking (reaching out to people in your field and putting yourself out there), all the while steadily improving your craft.

If there are any video game composers that you are a fan of, be bold and shoot them an email with respectful questions while displaying passion and commitment

For example, one of my favorite game composers is Afshin Cohen. You can easily google his website, and it includes a way to contact him: http://www.afshincohen.com/

Edited by RendHeaven

It's Love.

Also, Sibelius will not be powerful enough to make game designers happy.

It's first and foremost a notation software, but game designers want the finished product in all of its glory (electronically reproduced instruments), they don't just want sheet music + a crappy midi playback.

You'll have to dive head first into a DAW if you're serious.

Most industry-standard DAWs (Ableton, FL Studio, Cubase, Reaper, Logic, etc.) cost anywhere from $100 to $500 so that might be a setback for you initially. However, many of them offer free trials for a month or so, so take advantage of that. Besides, if you are serious, you ought to be saving money precisely for investments like this.

If you're on the lazy or overly eager side though, you can start using LMMS. It's the best free DAW from what I hear (but it won't be as good as the paid ones I mentioned above).

Do your own research :)

Edited by RendHeaven

It's Love.

2 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

Also, Sibelius will not be powerful enough to make game designers happy.

It's first and foremost a notation software, but game designers want the finished product in all of its glory (electronically reproduced instruments), they don't just want sheet music + a crappy midi playback.

You'll have to dive head first into a DAW if you're serious.

Most industry-standard DAWs (Ableton, FL Studio, Cubase, Reaper, Logic, etc.) cost anywhere from $100 to $500 so that might be a setback for you initially. However, many of them offer free trials for a month or so, so take advantage of that. Besides, if you are serious, you ought to be saving money precisely for investments like this.

If you're on the lazy or overly eager side though, you can start using LMMS. It's the best free DAW from what I hear (but it won't be as good as the paid ones I mentioned above).

Do your own research :)

Thank you! Luckily I have a DAW program that I'm used to known as StudioOne which is a bit of an up-and-comer I'm noticing in the industry, plus I'm familiar with ProTools. I'll definitely work on creating some tracks to compile in a portfolio. 

I think one personal drawback that I need to work with is that I am a perfectionist to a fault. I tend to not want to share anything until it's where I believe it should be, which is often far beyond my capabilities at that moment. I've found that to be the block in my path time and time again, but I'm gonna try to focus on quality simple tracks over pushing myself to be at an expert level. 

I dont think I've felt this excited about a goal in some time, so I'm very determined for this. 

@Dlavjr

The trap you’re experiencing is judgment, but you believe it’s perfectionism because you’re identified with it, you believe “you’re a perfectionist”. This is a logical misidentification, because you are a perfect being. In expressing more that you are a seeker, you won’t have any ‘perfectionist issue’ anymore at all, nor would there be the judgment, nor would you keep saying it with misplaced pride and reinforcing it. This will save you so much tension & time, and you will be so much the better composer for it. 

The potential trap is suppressed emotions. You’re not experiencing this now but you will be this year. Use the emotional scale, learn it now, beforehand, it becomes like riding a bike. It will save you immeasurable suffering, tons of stupid-tax, and prevent what would otherwise have been minor but frustrating set backs, and which otherwise would have been interpreted as having little to nothing to do with you.  Understanding the scale, you’ll understand exactly what it has to do with you, and that will be the key to your success which your audience will neither comprehend nor be able to get enough of. Your music will be heard and appreciated by a lot of people. Like, a lot. What’s in question is how good of a time you’ll have. Take some pictures of yourself at this college, and in the earliest stages of composing, you will be super glad you did. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1. Get a DAW.

2. Learn everything you can about music theory, mixing, production, style.

3. Listen to atleast 100 albums within or close to the genre youre going to work in, and a 100 albums of other genres, for contrast. After a while youll have some favourites, study them thouroughly, compare and contrast what you yourself are doing in your DAW, what works and what doesnt. 

4. This will take you about 5-10 years, Have fun!

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I'm an anti-composer. I have probably around 1000 audio recordings of different guitar ideas stored on 5 different phones over 10 years which I've never touched xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

8 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I'm an anti-composer. I have probably around 1000 audio recordings of different guitar ideas stored on 5 different phones over 10 years which I've never touched xD

Lol my phone serves as a cemetery for musical ideas 

16 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Dlavjr

The trap you’re experiencing is judgment, but you believe it’s perfectionism because you’re identified with it, you believe “you’re a perfectionist”. This is a logical misidentification, because you are a perfect being. In expressing more that you are a seeker, you won’t have any ‘perfectionist issue’ anymore at all, nor would there be the judgment, nor would you keep saying it with misplaced pride and reinforcing it. This will save you so much tension & time, and you will be so much the better composer for it. 

The potential trap is suppressed emotions. You’re not experiencing this now but you will be this year. Use the emotional scale, learn it now, beforehand, it becomes like riding a bike. It will save you immeasurable suffering, tons of stupid-tax, and prevent what would otherwise have been minor but frustrating set backs, and which otherwise would have been interpreted as having little to nothing to do with you.  Understanding the scale, you’ll understand exactly what it has to do with you, and that will be the key to your success which your audience will neither comprehend nor be able to get enough of. Your music will be heard and appreciated by a lot of people. Like, a lot. What’s in question is how good of a time you’ll have. Take some pictures of yourself at this college, and in the earliest stages of composing, you will be super glad you did. 

How do I maintain that mindset when those around me are constantly giving me the "realistic" approach of "that's not feasible" and "do something more reliable"? My idea of what greatness is always seems just out of my reach 

8 minutes ago, Dlavjr said:

How do I maintain that mindset when those around me are constantly giving me the "realistic" approach of "that's not feasible" and "do something more reliable"?

It’s not what others say that gets your goat, it’s your own vibrational resonance with it. Do what they have not, use the scale. Harmonizing is for the studio, not the muggles. ?

My idea of what greatness is always seems just out of my reach 

Put ideas on dreamboard, make them literally in your reach. See them visually, perceptually, rather than as thoughts which come & go. Then watch them manifest & use the emotional scale for any discord along the way. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Find a strong, unique nische

Find low hanging fruit

Be really smart about the marketing side of things - most musicians aren't

How to kill your soul^

The addiction formula makes songs way funner cuz they are addictive and don't suck

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

12 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

The addiction formula makes songs way funner cuz they are addictive and don't suck

Addiction is not fun. It's hollow.

@Carl-Richard I wouldn't take it serisouly like a drug addiction.

The addiction forumula makes songs fun. Chances are 99% of the songs you've heard on the radio or just enjoy in general use it.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

21 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Carl-Richard I wouldn't take it serisouly like a drug addiction.

The addiction forumula makes songs fun. Chances are 99% of the songs you've heard on the radio or just enjoy in general use it.

Hit songs deal with seduction and short attention spans. Musical content is a side note. The average song length of my favorite music is 10 minutes, has no fixed song structure or rhythm, just pure outpouring of inspiration and creativity.

Edited by Carl-Richard

16 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Hit songs deal with seduction and short attention spans. Musical content is a side note. The average song length of my favorite music is 10 minutes, has no fixed song structure or rhythm, just pure outpouring of inspiration and creativity.

I would say you can use both tried and true methods but also... what you love somebody will else will love so you dont have to follow somebodies elses rules to the tee. Genesis made a 23 minute song called Suppers Ready and thats one of my favourite songs so...

I dont like to tie my self down to these "how to make a song in 10 minutes using bla bla" formulas and videos either. I think theyre fake, overtly marketing tricks and clickbaity.

Edited by Rilles

1 minute ago, Rilles said:

I would say you can use both tried and true methods

If your intention is to create hit songs, then that is what you'll get. If your intention is to express what you feel deep inside, then that is what you'll get. Will they possibly overlap? Yes.

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

If your intention is to create hit songs, then that is what you'll get. If your intention is to express what you feel deep inside, then that is what you'll get. Will they possibly overlap? Yes.

Im not very big on hit songs, Im more of a deep cuts kind of guy, but I do know that learning rules helped me enjoy my own music more and helped me express myself better. Balance.