Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
benny

Is there a distinction between contemplation and critical thinking?

8 posts in this topic

Specifically when studying theory. If I'm reading a book on relationships, is there a difference between thinking critically about what I'm reading vs. contemplating what I'm reading?

If so, what are the differences?

Very good question to be honest.

Leo's video got me thinking "Why is asking why so important? Why would it yield truth? What's going on?" . What is this "investigating" or "contemplating" I'm doing? I do some journalling or contemplating sometimes but dont understand what it is. Is it logic or....? 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

How about this: Contemplate this question and then think critically about it, and then compare & report the results to us.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

I think both are somewhat alike. 

Because when you are critically thinking, you're contemplating!

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

To my understanding there's a difference between the two.

Critical thinking is based on nothing but thinking. This doesn't necessarily have to be limited to rational or linear thinking, but it mostly is. It's an  excellent tool for navigating the abstract and conceptual realm in order to discover for example logical consequences or implications.

Contemplation basically does the same but also takes intuition into account to allow non-deductive, spontaneous insight which doesn't hinge on any prior thoughts. Contemplation also relies more on direct experience.

I can for example look at the color red and try to use critical thinking in order to find out "what is red?" but this won't ever help me to understand what "red" is. Contemplation on the other hand would allow the phenomenological and intuitional aspect of the question "what is red" to flow into my process of discernment. 

Bump. Would appreciate Leo's perspective.

18 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

How about this: Contemplate this question and then think critically about it, and then compare & report the results to us.

This sounds like contemplation is trying to arrive at an answer whereas critical thinking is something like questioning the position where the question comes from or like studying the metaphysics of that question.

How to desern what is really going on. 
Thats all you need to be conerned about here. 

What is the theory trying to point to? 
Can I observe what is being pointed to right now?

Question & observe. 
New question, new angle to observe. 

You could call it what ever you want, if you see a distinction between the two then that is what you see. 
What is important is that the thinking is grounded in realizing what is true, not concepts about it. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart.