charlie cho

Honestly.... We Don't Know Anything, Lets Stop Pretending We Know Stuff

28 posts in this topic

I think it's important to note... That we don't know anything. We are all pretending to know stuff but we really don't know anything. Anything at all. Really. Even scientists. Great doctors. We are being hypocrites.

(Note this is not a criticizism against our communication of spirituality )

just important to note for all seekers ^^

Edited by charlie cho

2 minutes ago, charlie cho said:

I think it's important to note... That we don't know anything.

How do you know?

Just as Leo said it in his video, and I just assume we all watch all of his videos. But not only him, a lot of wise masters make this claim, that we know nothing. And the more we learn, the more wisdom we accumulate, the more we understand that there is nothing that we know. 

10 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Just as Leo said it in his video, and I just assume we all watch all of his videos. But not only him, a lot of wise masters make this claim, that we know nothing. And the more we learn, the more wisdom we accumulate, the more we understand that there is nothing that we know. 

Socrates... Said he didn't know anything. Well.. Did the Buddha know anything? I think Buddhas on the contrary really knew stuff.

Edited by charlie cho

3 minutes ago, charlie cho said:

Socrates... Said he didn't know anything. Well.. Did the Buddha know anything? I think Buddhas on the contrary really knew stuff.

How do you know? I don't know much about the buddha, but may it be that the buddha was just at peace with knowing nothing? 

4 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

How do you know? I don't know much about the buddha, but may it be that the buddha was just at peace with knowing nothing? 

Wow.... You could be true. Man.... But that would suck 

Edited by charlie cho

I don't know everything, we know only from our experiences, and that can be helpful to others sometimes. It's like a reference in our path. We help each other to grow. No one pretends to know everything.

Besides, reading about others having similar difficulties like the ones we face is also helpful and enlightening.

:)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

2 minutes ago, charlie cho said:

Wow.... You really right. But what about Socrates? What do you think of him? He was the "philosopher". But yet... He claimed that he didn't know anything. Do you think the "philosopher" was ever enlightened?

I don't even know if there is enough historical information about Socrates... no doubt he was very wise and a true philosopher, but was he enlightened? Maybe? Maybe Leo knows, since Leo knows A LOT, but as far as I'm concerned nobody can tell today if Socrates was enlightened or not. Maybe he was just a very wise man.

In order to say that "we don't know anything," we need to examine what it means to know something.

What is KNAWLEDGE? (Here in my garage...)

I just looked up the word in the dictionary, and the philosophical definition is "true, justified belief; certain understanding, as opposed to opinion."

The key here is the first part. A piece of knowledge is justified belief. What makes a justified belief? If the hypothesis behind the belief is confirmed and all other hypotheses are refuted...but can we actually refute all other hypotheses? 

Let's take a classic example here. We say with absolute certainty that the sun will rise tomorrow, as if it's an objective fact. We have studied the laws of gravity time and time again, and we can predict with absolute certainty that it will rise tomorrow. The sun has risen every single day since I was born, so surely it must rise tomorrow...

Call me crazy, but what if it doesn't? What if a supernova causes the sun to explode before it can rise tomorrow? What if a black hole swallows up the sun? I can come up with a million-and-one hypotheses as to why the sun may not rise tomorrow. 

The point is, in order for something to be objective knowledge, 100% true, ALL hypotheses that attempt to falsify the knowledge must be refuted. And since there is always a new hypothesis that can be formulated...objective knowledge is impossible. No statement or justified belief can be proven absolutely true. We can falsify a bunch of other hypotheses which leaves us with the justified hypothesis, but 0.0000001% false is still false. All knowledge is belief, and no belief is true.

Hence, whatever's absolutely true can't be in the realm of language. Words can be used to point or orient to absolute truth, but words themselves do not hold absolute truth. A fair warning to all Truth seekers out there.

Edited by jjer94

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

The only truth is nothingness

B|

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

That's not true...we know falseness pretty damn well!:P

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

6 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

The only truth is nothingness

B|

No. That's just a word. What it's referring to is True. O.o

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

We may not know anything, however the path to Truth necessitated doing something and we had no choice in this.

Not only do we not know anything, but there is really nothing to know. All knowledge arises out of the conceptualization of reality, but no conceptualization is true. 

When other people come to lurk here at the forum to see what we are talking about, they must be thinking, those are just a bunch of nuts!
:P

@Spacious  I am practicing to be a comedian, I hope to get better with time. Anyway, there are successful comedians that are as bad as me hahahaha

:P

A state of Not-Knowing is the path to Enlightenment...once we truly stop 'knowing' we are closer to the Truth free from our interference, judgement, beliefs etc...

Yes this really cannot be understated because it's easy for the ego to dismiss this as trivial philosophizing. So let's hammer it home.

NO belief is TRUE.

All the ancient world religions. All the greatest scientific theories. All ethical and moral codes about right and wrong. All beliefs about who you are and everything you EVER thought...

False. All bullshit. Including what you're reading right now.

Some questions everyone should ask themselves then (including me):

1) Why do you believe your beliefs to be true

2) Does truth exist and if so what is it?

3) What would happen if we stopped believing EVERY belief that we have? What if we could unlearn everything?

Even in the old days when I didn't hear about any spiritual stuff and I was gathering more and more "knowledge" basically information to recycle in my mind, I still felt more and more stupid. The more I "know" the more I "know" how much I don't know. :D It's quite funny now that this shifts into I know nothing.