The White Belt

Can I Or Should I Practice Yoga At Home Alone?

6 posts in this topic

Hey all! 

I've been to a couple of yoga classes previously but can't currently afford them. 

I was wondering if I could do it alone at home (with the risk of not having my postures corrected), and if there are any online courses that will enable me to do it?

And also can somebody briefly tell me, where the common exercise of yoga that you can find in multiple places in any city and the spiritual practice, if at all, correlates?

Thanks! 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

For sure, you can. Be gentle dont over do it. Relax, turn up the heat, put on soft music if you like, invite a friend who knows something more if you like. The sun salutation is common. Watch videos about it too. It is basically stretching, breathing and relaxing. Feel how your body is doing as you stretch dont force pain. Breathe slowly and deeply. First do what you learned. You can get precise information about the best times to inhale and exhale, if you went to some classes you could probably call the teacher for small tips. Whatever you can improvise is going to be better than nothing so do what you feel is best. If you have injuries though you need know  what you shouldnt do, other than that get started

Absolutly yoga can be done at home! If you are looking for guidance, there are lots of free classes online that you can find on youtube. Tara Stiles is great for beginners. As for the spiritual aspect, it is more and more being left out in the modern world (which is sad) Getting yourself a copy of The Yoga Sutras and starting to read through that can be a great place to start on your own. <3

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene/videos

I did the thirty day beginners challenge on this video and haven't looked back since. I'll be honest and say that I did experience some minor aches when I went on to try more advanced videos and some power yoga, but if you take it easy and stick to some of the slower classes you should be fine!

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

@BeginnerActualizer

If you can afford one,  the Nintendo Wii Fit has a really good yoga programme.

I don't know how much these cost now, I've had mine for a few years, so the price might have gone up considerably? 

And of course Yoga Vidya is a very good free yoga channel on youtube

Edited by kurt

i recommend the book "light on yoga", written by bks iyengar.

the practice would be like this: watch the entire video before performing the postures and study deeply with your book each posture that's performed on the video. then you can replay the video and go with it. nothing can go wrong if you do it like this.

unborn Truth