Petervan

Any Tips To Have A Healthy And Fit Body?

13 posts in this topic

I'm currently 200 lbs and I need to be around 160 lbs. So I'm planning to go to a men's weight loss centre in Toronto to build a healthy and fit body. I think proper guidance can help me to achieve the result I need. My eating habit is really miserable. There is no regular time for me to have my food and also at times I skip my meals due to workloads which I shouldn't do. One of my friends suggested the 20/20 healthy eating program of Harvey Brooker and I thought it would be interesting and I'm going to give it a shot. What do you think about this? Any suggestions are highly appreciated!!

Hi Petervan,

I can't say so much about eating habits but to get fit I have some exercise tips:

First you'll set up the habit: generally we consider it as a 'have to' and so that, something unpleasant.

First step is to start to move just little bit more than you are use to now. But just very little: like, in the house one trip from one room to other. Just one. And do not do more than one.:) or if there is stairs one trip up and down. Or if it is walking to a park just arriving there and coming back. It needs to be ridiculously easy and funny.

The first week you'll be willing to do some exercise but fight back to that desire, just do a very little than what you want. Limit it. Just 'one' of something and wait for other day to continue.

Choose a song you love the most and dance with it in a very silly way. :) if you don't have any idea about dancing: one song long stand up and shift weight from one foot to other foot.

Amuse yourself with these little things. See if you are having any fun or not. If not text me:) this is setting up the habit.

Then, you'll need to walk. There is a particular duration to that, after that minute body starts to burn the fat. But first set the habit. (And to burn the fat, body needs water)

Fast actions don't burn the fat, because body needs the energy urgently; duration in slow motion does. Walking, running in walking speed, swimming are the best exercises for such purpose. Dancing is good too but it's secondary.

At the beginning of exercising you need to behave very gentle and compassionate to your body; give it some time.

I'm a very fit person, those little playful tricks made exercising my long term friend, let me tell ya; such a good friend:x, I wish you the same thing!

And congratulations on your excellent decision:) have a nice journey:)

Like Sevi says, fitness and eating healthy has to become a habit. Don't expect to go all out on the gym for 3 months and then to never do it again. That's a mistake many people make and made (including myself). It needs to become a habit for the rest of your life. 

For the first 2 months go to the gym not with the focus on results but with the focus on turning it into a habit. So make a schedule on what days you go to the gym (I recommend 3 days a week) and then commit to showing up on those days for two months. You don't have to push yourself at the gym, just showing up consistently and doing an easy exercise routine is enough.

After going to the gym has become a habit you can slowly turn it up a few notches by doing heavier exercises. You may not see results as quick as with an extreme commitment, but it isn't neurotic and is more sustainable in the long run.

My advice when it comes to food: don't have any unhealthy food in you house and make healthy food very accessible. for example put fruits in a bowl in sight and stock up on veggies ;)

these worked for me in parallel: hatha yoga and kundalini yoga.

they provide you ecstasy through the practice. pranayamas, mantras and relaxation are powerful tools that offer you well-being and motivation to continue.

as you keep practicing, deep changes will occur in your body and your eating habits will change naturally.

unborn Truth

@Petervan One thing I'd look at is candida.  It's there in everybody, but it can get a bit excited and begin to control your eating preferences.  Sometimes its excess candida that makes you reach out for those cookies!

Hi, I'm new to the forum. In my case I lost weight without looking for it. Let me explain how.

I'm 23 and I live with my family, and my Mom's makes food for all of us both lunch and dinner. So I have to eat what she makes (or buy/make my own food which I don't think it's worth). We eat normal... a few salads 2/3/4 times a week (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots) and fruit on every meal after it (the common ones), and maybe 2/3/4 not-good-for-losing-weight foods per week (pasta, pizza, etc.).

So this year I started to understand that my body and my mind are way better If I eat natural foods (real food), so I replaced bread, cheese, ham, etc. (sandwiches on breakfast) and also replaced sugar-foods and sandwiches in the meal you eat after lunch and before dinner... WITH almonds, walnuts, and more dry fruits and also bananas, apples, oranges, (all sort of fruits).

And I also started going for 30-45 mins walks (which I used for relaxing and think about things in general) more often.

So I changed a bit my food habits and suddenly one day I realised that I lost at least 13-20 pounds. 

I mean it's more about stop eating fake food (mostly processed foods) and eating real natural foods. And "think about eating like a way to obtain nutrients that serves as energy for your body and mind, don't think of it as a way to please your taste" (that's a phrase that I red somewhere on the internet and stuck in my brain so hard :P).

If you take this path it'll take you months until you realise you lost weight, and if you don't think too much about it one day you'll realise you're on better shape. It is obviously faster if you work-out at the gym or go running. 

ALSO, and MOST important. Don't eat until you're full. Eat until you're 70% full. This will not only help you reduce weight, it will also make you feel more lucid and lighter which will be good for any activity you do (exercising, studying, working, etc.).

This is literally what I did to lose weight and I feel more comfortable overall besides having a bit less weight. 

Good luck buddy!. 

Edited by Stoudamire

Study nutrition and eat organic because you deserve it increase your activity while maintaining your current caloric intake if you don't know it study nutrition

@Petervan think in terms of decades and take consistent action and apply the concept of mastery. 

Eliminate sugars, processed foods, and grains. Eat more healthy fats (avocados, nuts, seeds, eggs, fatty fish), vegetables and a little fruit. You'll lose weight at an incredibly high rate. 

You can read the primal blueprint by Mark Sisson, he's just awesome at explaining this to you.

@Petervan

An amazing tip for starting to enjoy eating healthy which will help you lose weight. 

Lower your bliss point.

What is the bliss point? - The bliss point is the specific amount of satisfaction or stimulation, in which happiness is optimized. It’s the perfect volume of magic fairy dust, that makes you content and happy. Any more, or slightly less will tip you off balance and isn’t as great anymore. 

The problem with this is that, unless you’re aware of it, you’ll easily fall victim to your unconscious urges. What’s more, if your bliss point is too high, you’ll never be satisfied enough.

If your taste buds are under the constant stimulation of processed food and refined carbohydrates, then you’re habituating your mind to be content with nothing less. After a while, you get used to your current bliss point and need to take it to the next level again.

On the other hand, if your bliss point is lower, then you’ll get incredible joy from even the smallest of things. You can get immense amount of enjoyment from something so trivial, such as pure water, clean food, less stuff, quality, not quantity relationships. Paradoxically, your happiness increases, as your bliss point decreases.

There are several strategies we can use to first lower our bliss point, and then to maintain it at the desired level, without overstimulating it.

• Fasting - it resets your taste buds

• Gratitude - abstinence from food makes you more grateful for food

• Mindfulness - mindful eating makes you appreciate the taste of your food

• Minimalism - being content with less, in both your food choices and other lifestyle factors

It starts with food, but can be applied to anything else as well. Our taste buds and palate are exactly there, where we’ve habituated them. Being used to stimulating food teaches us to not be satisfied with anything less.

It's not about eating bland food. It's about teaching yourself to appreciate less stimulating food. Process carbs and sugar create an almost fake stimulus that's causing an unnatural response to your taste buds. Detoxing yourself and reseting your taste buds actually reverses you to your normal state.

Hopefully this will help you in making better food choices. 

You can also check out my blog post about this, in which I go into more detail about every specific strategy and how to do them.

Thanks!

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

In my experience, a whole foods plant based diet with regular exercise is a doable solution which provides good results for most people. If that seems like too much, just increase your intake of real, unprocessed foods like fruits, vegetables, legumes and other whole plant foods. Consistency is key, find out what is sustainable for you long-term and do what you are comfortable with. Small changes can make a big difference and set you on a progressive and positive path :)

A lot of articles like this on the website about this topic: http://www.forksoverknives.com/8-months-lost-65-pounds-regained-energy-good-health-wfpb-diet/

19 hours ago, Karoline said:

In my experience, a whole foods plant based diet with regular exercise is a doable solution which provides good results for most people. If that seems like too much, just increase your intake of real, unprocessed foods like fruits, vegetables, legumes and other whole plant foods. Consistency is key, find out what is sustainable for you long-term and do what you are comfortable with. Small changes can make a big difference and set you on a progressive and positive path :)

A lot of articles like this on the website about this topic: http://www.forksoverknives.com/8-months-lost-65-pounds-regained-energy-good-health-wfpb-diet/

Hi Karoline,
I'm a big fan of vegetables too. But what do you think about useful properties of cooked vegs after heat  treatment???

Edited by Superwoman

Introduction to fitness training

Why exercise ?

–  to be generally fit,you need to be in good health and able to carry out everyday tasks comfortably.

– exercise can be defined as healthy physical exertion

– exercise is an activity you do to improve your health and fitness.it is the link between them

General benefits of exercise

– improved health

– stronger muscles

– better flexibility

– improved posture

– improved heart and lung system

– better appetite

– feeling more relaxed

– better social life

– improved quality of life

– reduced risk of disease and ill-health

for more information and more articles: