Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LearningPodo

Should I join a Frat?

8 posts in this topic

Lately I've been tackling with the question of whether or not I want to join a frat. I've come to realise that there are many ways to think about this question.

If you were to tell me that I'd be thinking of joining a frat when I was in high school, I'd laugh at you. I'm an INFJ. But having watched so many of Leo's videos and expanding my consciousness, I realised that the image I have of myself is just an image, and that's it. And I guess in the most absolute sense, "I" don't even really exist because "I" am just consciousness, so why can't consciousness join a frat and have fun and party?

I typically am quiet and introverted, and my personality generally doesn't suit being in a frat. But I also know that I like to party and expand my sense of self, and that who "I am" is just a result of past conditioning, so why can't I let all of that go and pursue anything in life that attracts me? Regardless, I will still focus on my studies and that is still my first priority.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think about this question.

Hey, I don't quite understand the "I" and conciousness stuff but I thought I could chime in about fraternities. I feel a lot of people have this image that people in fraternities just party all the time, I'm sure that happens a lot too but when I was in univerisity I met a lot of really good people who were members of fraternities/sororities and this helped me dispel that stigma. This is just my personal experience but I've seen that frats can offer opportunities to network, volunteer in the community, build leadership skills, balance academic/social life, and make good friends. My mom and dad were members of a fraternity/sorority when they were in university and they made lifelong friends that they still speak with today. I think it just comes down to you finding the right situation to fit your needs.

@LearningPodo

I was in a frat in college.

As bizarre as it sounds, I actually do think it benefitted my growth. 

Yes there was lots of lower consciousness activities like drinking, partying, etc. But it helped me gain a lot of the social skills I have today. Made me a lot more comfortable in those kind of situations.

It also gave me a sense of community. A sort of “home” I could also return to.

So while there are a lot of critiques you could make of fraternities, the reality is I don’t think I was ready to learn those unless until I experienced it. Sounds like you might be the same.

It’s a shame because fraternities could play an important role in growing up for guys. But they’re just so enmeshed in a toxic culture that it becomes almost impossible.

I would go for it , life is about having fun as well , you can personally develop simultaneously 

Ewwww...

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I was extremely shy in high school, so when I got to uni I decided to join a lot of the party clubs/committees etc and get involved in campus culture (no frats in Australia but similar shit). A bit like Aurum, it was one of the best decision I ever made. Having been so introverted in high school I was able to loosen up and expand my confidence and social skills massively.  Yes, there’s was a lot of bullshit like drinking and all that, but I got it out of my system during the years of 18-21 and now I don’t really feel like I missed out.  I felt like I surpassed many of my high school friends in confidence despite my being more shy than they were in school. 

Having said that of course the activities were a distraction from other things so it’s good not to get too caught up in that for too long. Weigh up the costs and benefits I think, perhaps there’s something else you could join to allow you to become more social without all the low consciousness activities.

I'd do it. It's gonna shortcut a lot of the social growth that you would otherwise struggle to get. You don't have to be a degenerate all the time and you can meet a lot of other cool guys and really bond with them. Some of the coolest guys I know today were in frats while I was playing LoL all day and had to game for hours on end to catch up on social skills. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

Their are fraternities with high standards, surprising as that may seem. No tolerance toward hazing, emphasis on volunteerism in the community, academic achievement, and things of that nature.