Ingit

Need suggestions, My first day of Gym ever

25 posts in this topic

I am 25 and people Always say i look around 18-20... I have a Slim physique... I recently got finished with my studies and planned to join Gym for first month.... As I never been Gym my whole life... Today was my first day.. I need  advice any suggestion.. comments...! 

?IngitScooby ?

Get someone to advice you on how to use the machines so you dont get injuries, and dont push yourself too hard, youll be cocky and think you can lift more than you actually can. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

Get someone to advice you on how to use the machines so you dont get injuries, and dont push yourself too hard, youll be cocky and think you can lift more than you actually can. 

Yes thank u

?IngitScooby ?

Alphadestiny novice program. Google it. Also learn about post workout stretching, proper warmup sets (again, Alphadestiny YouTube channel) and do contrast showers post workout - they're extremely helpful for regeneration.

@Michal__ helpful... pretty excited about the CONTRAST SHOWERS if you can elaborate a little bit ! ?

?IngitScooby ?

Hire a PT for a few sessions. It is a good precaution against learning lifting techniques incorrectly and injuring yourself or creating imbalances :) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michal__ updating you... WOW contrast shower was so Exciting... although It is couple minus degrees down outside... I was afraid to Go For the cold water.....  HOT-COLD-HOT-COLD It was pretty refreshing and I am so awake  full of energy (just out after my very first contrast shower).  When I pour the cold water I was like in shock ⛄️ ....

?IngitScooby ?

I would recommend watching Youtube videos regularly because there is so much good and different material about gym and fitness there. Try to find some gym content creator who clicks with you and start watching the videos, that should give you the knowledge base and motivation that you need to get started.

What comes to action, a friend is always a good choice or a PT, but you can also do it yourself, which will actually crow you the most if you are serious about it.

A mistake I made when I was first starting out was doing a full-body workout every single day. Full-body meaning I was working out every single major muscle group in one workout each day through random exercises. 

Its a pretty common newbie mistake also to workout a specific muscle group every single day. Newbies would workout their chest every day, or triceps every day for example.

It's best to split your workouts, dedicate each day to one or two major muscle groups so your muscles could get a chance to recover for next week's workout.

So for example, Monday would be Chest & Biceps day, Tuesday is Legs day, Wednesday Back & Biceps, Thursday Shoulders & Triceps.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter it's not a mistake to do a full-body workout it's actually better than doing bro split.

Follow a smart program, or hire a coach don't do random exercises, and make sure to eat on a surplus.

@HERO_ Says who? And I'm talking full body workout every single day for every single week.

It depends on the person's goals. It depends on a lot of things actually. Depends on what type of workouts you're doing, how much you're lifting, etc.

For me personally, a full body workout every day wouldn't make any sense.

If you're someone looking to build muscle mass then you wouldn't want to do a full-body every day.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@HERO_ Says who? And I'm talking full body workout every single day for every single week.

It depends on the person's goals. It depends on a lot of things actually. Depends on what type of workouts you're doing, how much you're lifting, etc.

For me personally, a full body workout every day wouldn't make any sense.

If you're someone looking to build muscle mass then you wouldn't want to do a full-body every day.

I think he misunderstood. Of course you shouldn't do full body every day. 

But most serious lifters agree that full body is way better than bro splits. Not saying everyday. You'd have to be really skilled at creating programs for yourself for that to work.

I think everyone should do a novice program until they hit a 225 lbs bench, 315 squat and 405 deadlift. (Strength for natural lifters = muscle gain) Which should take 6 to 12 months if you follow the program I linked to OP in a previous post. The program is full body 3x a week.

I recommend Alphadestiny on YouTube to everyone, since he is one of the best channels for people who don't use steroids.

@Michal__ 3x a week for full body would make more sense if you're giving a yourself a good amount of time for your muscles to rest in between. Maybe 1-2 days of rest in between workouts.

But splits are better in my opinion because it allows you to focus your time and effort in the gym mainly on a specific set of muscle groups. For example, I would focus on 3-5 exercises to workout a single muscle group like chest for example, then another 3-5 exercises in the same day for my biceps. All done within 1-2 hours.

If I did full-body in one day, within' 1-2 hours it wouldn't hit the muscle groups as hard as if I did splits. Its much better to hit each muscle group individually in my opinion.

But again, depends on the person and their goals

8 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@Michal__ 3x a week for full body would make more sense if you're giving a yourself a good amount of time for your muscles to rest in between. Maybe 1-2 days of rest in between workouts.

But splits are better in my opinion because it allows you to focus your time and effort in the gym mainly on a specific set of muscle groups. For example, I would focus on 3-5 exercises to workout a single muscle group like chest for example, then another 3-5 exercises in the same day for my biceps. All done within 1-2 hours.

If I did full-body in one day, within' 1-2 hours it wouldn't hit the muscle groups as hard as if I did splits. Its much better to hit each muscle group individually in my opinion.

But again, depends on the person and their goals

Btw I recommend you watch Alphadestiny's videos on Full body.

Edited by Michal__

@Michal__ Done.

Watched his video on full-body 2x/week. 2x/week ok makes more sense to me, you would be getting a significant amount of rest in between workouts. That's basically my whole entire argument against full body, which is the fact that you wouldn't be getting a proper amount of rest, but you actually would be if you did full-body 2x/week.

This seems more like a "less is more" type of approach. For the busy types who have no time, I honestly would recommend this same exact workout plan to them. I definitely see no problem with it. But still for me personally, I think this would just make me lazy. Going to the gym is one of my biggest passions in life, I enjoy going 4-5 times a week and I have no problem with it at all. I have the time to so why not.

Still, I think the answer to this whole conversation/debate is more dependent on the person's situation and goals. Its not a case of "full body is BETTER than bro splits." That would be being biased on your part, or on the part of whoever these "serious lifters" are.

I might even try this for a couple months, but still going to stick to my original workout plan because it works best for me.

32 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@Michal__ Done.

Watched his video on full-body 2x/week. 2x/week ok makes more sense to me, you would be getting a significant amount of rest in between workouts. That's basically my whole entire argument against full body, which is the fact that you wouldn't be getting a proper amount of rest, but you actually would be if you did full-body 2x/week.

This seems more like a "less is more" type of approach. For the busy types who have no time, I honestly would recommend this same exact workout plan to them. I definitely see no problem with it. But still for me personally, I think this would just make me lazy. Going to the gym is one of my biggest passions in life, I enjoy going 4-5 times a week and I have no problem with it at all. I have the time to so why not.

Still, I think the answer to this whole conversation/debate is more dependent on the person's situation and goals. Its not a case of "full body is BETTER than bro splits." That would be being biased on your part, or on the part of whoever these "serious lifters" are.

I might even try this for a couple months, but still going to stick to my original workout plan because it works best for me.

1 hour ago, 7thLetter said:

It all comes down to whether you're getting really strong at excersises you care about. 

If you're - your program is good.

If you aren't - your program is bad.

@Michal__

3 minutes ago, Michal__ said:

It all comes down to whether you're getting really strong at excersises you care about. 

If you're - your program is good.

If you aren't - your program is bad.

Huh?

Here's a good video for you to watch, which I'm currently watching. He goes much deeper than what you're saying

4 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@Michal__

Huh?

Here's a good video for you to watch, which I'm currently watching. He goes much deeper than what you're saying

Ok, thanks for the vid. I'll watch it to see your POV.

Yeah, AD doesn't have a single video that explains his whole training philosophy, but there's a lot of depth if you watch enough of his videos (I'm not asking you to, just saying).

Also it depends if you trust Mike Thurston to be natural. Since, as you probably know, workout plans work way different for roiders than for naturals.

Not saying that Mike's on steroids nessecarily.