Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zec

Stop spending to much time on self help

6 posts in this topic

If one is really screwed in life like myself most of my life. I imagine one goes to self help. I notice I think self help can get you into a lot of shit and one SHOULD?consider making fucking sure that they are not to shit out of luck and traumatized before spending a lot of time on self help. Go to psychotherapy and meditate. For fuck sake 

7 hours ago, Zec said:

If one is really screwed in life like myself most of my life. I imagine one goes to self help. I notice I think self help can get you into a lot of shit and one SHOULD?consider making fucking sure that they are not to shit out of luck and traumatized before spending a lot of time on self help. Go to psychotherapy and meditate. For fuck sake 

Psychotherapy and meditation is self help though;)

Get what you mean though, start with the basics - fix your issues first, but that often includes self help or cultivating self acceptance/ self love/healing which is a form of self help.

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

Focusing on the problem gets more of the problem. People often trick themselves that focusing on the problem is focusing on the solution when really what they are thinking about it how flawed they are, and not giving focus to the way they want to feel. So while it's good to use self help, you have to use it wisely. It's a tool that can be used destructively or constructively. Sometimes finding a creative pursuit or a new hobby or project you're passionate about is the best way to actually embody lessons from self help. If you don't have anything to build with the hammer you just bought, you might mistakenly think hitting yourself in the head with it is actually constructive. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

16 hours ago, Zec said:

If one is really screwed in life like myself 

What proof do you have of that being true?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

On 12/23/2020 at 10:07 PM, Zec said:

I notice I think self help can get you into a lot of shit and one SHOULD?consider making fucking sure that they are not to shit out of luck and traumatized before spending a lot of time on self help. 

@Zec Self help can help you figure stuff out and decrease fragility.

The findings can and will probably be traumatizing and shitty along the way.  There may tend to be waves up uplift and waves of shocking epiphanies.

If one decides that one is too weak to do self help, which tends to have the intent of help/growth, then one is seemingly putting oneself in the corner.

Can take baby steps as needed.