Danioover9000

Should education teach self-defense?

48 posts in this topic

Like I've said, it's not enough to physically defend yourself, you'll have to be able to socially defend yourself as well, because most self-defense situations could be de-escalated within the social context. If there's preparation already in place within the education system that covers this, there's a higher chance of managing social situations better.

@Hardkill

On 12/16/2020 at 4:29 AM, Hardkill said:

As a 3rd degree black belt in Hapkido, I also agree that at least some degree of martial arts should be taught within the mainstream academic institutions. That's actually why it's good that a lot of high schools in countries like the US and Canada have competitive wrestling teams, as wrestling of type is one of the most effective styles of martial arts or combat. 

However, to become truly proficient in any martial art it's not enough to learn each specific self-defense techniques, you need to have at least 1-2 years of consistent practice with not only sparring with training partners but also with repeated real-life simulation drills that force you to use of all of the techniques you learn within all kinds of highly unpredictable and threatening real life-like scenarios within any kind of fight. 

US Navy Seal, Jocko Willink, and the famous mixed martial arts color commentator, Joe Rogan both really tell it like it is for all kinds of martial arts in these vids below:

There are a few things I disagree with Jocko here, and that's claiming that owning a gun is the ultimate form of martial arts. Yeah, owning a gun is considered the ultimate form of martial arts in the USA and nowhere else. It's such a ridiculous claim because some people don't own a gun, some countries have tighter gun regulations or owning fire arms is illegal, and only a small percentage like ex soldiers and police officers are allowed to own guns, some criminals somehow have guns, but most of the population in some countries have little access to guns. I'm feeling uncomfortable pointing this out because he's ex navy seals, he should be aware how simple his generalization is when he made such a claim.

Same thing with Joe Rogan, and his gripe with different martial arts, and having some bias for MMA. I'm not too harsh on Joe as he's a bit more open minded than Jocko, but when it comes to addressing where MMA is weak and traditional martial arts is strong, he tends to not want to go deeper with deconstructing MMA's weaknesses and distracts by pointing out traditional martial art weaknesses.

A great video on how culture effects martial arts, and why sometimes it's not enough to defend yourself physically. Also another reason why the education system should teach self-defense and martial arts:

I think this is another cultural thing which is different between US and many other countries.

My reaction (I'm not from US): teach self-defense in school? Are you nuts?

1. It's not really necessary in society.

2. It would get corrupted so people would become more violent in general and start fighting with everyone.

Give someone a hammer and that person will start seeing nails everywhere.

Whatever you have learned, you naturally want to practice it. So if no one attacks you you will start attacking others so you can practice what you learned.

I think 99.999999% of people in my country would say no to the idea. They would think it's a joke.

Edited by Blackhawk

@Blackhawk

14 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I think this is another cultural thing which is different between US and many other countries.

2. It would get corrupted so people would become more violent in general and start fighting with everyone.

Whatever you have learned, you naturally want to practice it. So if no one attacks you you will start attacking others so you can practice what you learned.

I think 99.999999% of people in my country would say no to the idea. They would think it's a joke.

I still think that self-dense should be integrated into the education system.

Firstly, while there are many cultural differences between the USA and other foreign country level cultures, that doesn't mean that the USA does not have cultural differences within it's own nation. The USA is comprised of 51 different states, that's at least 51 mainstream society level cultures. Take anyone state, and can keep dividing the culture to smaller cultures. We also have bigger divisions like northern states and southern states, and we can keep going bigger that we include Canada as part of North American culture. We can zoom in more smaller and include how each familial structure's styles of upbringing can alter how children /teens view self-defense, and each one may have different ways in interpreting self-defense, and some interpretations of self-defense are more detrimental than others. How can we know which self-defense methods and methodologies are correct? One way to verify the effectiveness's of different self-defense systems and martial arts systems is by including  them within academia and having intellectual frameworks and multiple tests to see, and teach, other ways of defending yourself.

Secondly, I'm nuts, nuts from some of my inability to defend myself, physically, socially, psychologically and emotionally from different types of conflicts, from bullying, to theft, to emotional abuse and attempted murder on my life, which I'm very lucky to survive from. My own life experiences, and seeing how other people mishandle self-defense situations, and how other people act cowardly, makes me believe that if the population is not educated well in matters of self-defense, then we'll keep on hurting each other unintentionally, physically and psychologically, which is why I believe that self-defense should be taught and integrated into the education system.

Thirdly, it is necessary to some degree that self-defense should be integrated into the education system. The reason being that the repetition of learning the theories of self-defense, both physical, psychological and social self-defense trains people's subconscious minds in preparation for physical, psychological, emotional and social conflicts in advance, therefore allowing most people to enter into flow and resolving such situations in approximately the direct proportion to the conflict. For example, in a social type of self-defense, the person educated in his/her past about social self-defense will respond with social self-defense, instead of escalating the situation into a physical conflict and causing unnecessary harm. Another example, if a situation does escalate and turn violent, the person educated in self-defense will not freeze up, or flee, or fight over aggressively, instead responds appropriately. If people are not well educated in a particular field, how well would that person perform if such situations were not covered and prepared in that person's subconscious mind?

Fourthly, where does corruption and escalation of violence in general come from? To me, they come from ignorance, ignorance of martial arts and self-defense, ignorance of distorted knowledge not properly taught in the mainstream about self-defense and martial arts. When a society is able to build infrastructure that facilitates martial arts and self-defense being taught in the education system, we can decrease the ignorance and distorted view we obtain from mainstream society by the following ways; teachers learn self-defense and martial arts, which allows them to later develop intellectual frameworks that can be taught as second hand knowledge to students. Then various reviews and evaluations can develop to determine, with progressing accuracy, different types and levels of self-defense and martial arts. Later, this all would influence each citizen's capability in assisting a person in need in various self-defense scenarios, which overall has a net-positive in reducing the ignorance of each community, on the social, collective level. specifically in education. I'm not interested in your individual ignorance of martial arts and self-defense, I'm more interested in impacting the world by proposing that each society can have positive contributions to their citizens by installing self-defense and martial arts as teaching programs to, once again, help the masses subconscious minds prepare for self-defense scenarios, to me has more potential.

Fifthly, the hammer example only makes sense when the person has little to no foundational framework to apply the learned self-defense and martial arts technique to. When we don't have infrastructures built to teach self-defense in schools, we have more potential for con-artists that make outlandish claims, wave around fake certificates, and install cult-like behavior on their students, which then makes the students brain washed into inaccurate applications of martial arts techniques and distorted versions of self-defense that each person now keeps preaching the physical forms of it, and falsely believe that their own versions of martial arts and self-defense is the best, which makes future students and teachers ripe for beat downs like, for example MMA fighters beating up Tai chi masters. Why do we have MMA fighters beating up tai chi students and masters? Because said tai chi students and masters are not educated in their ,education system, proper martial arts/self-defense theories and applications, and different types and degrees of self defense. If these tai chi students and masters were properly taught the correct theories, then there wouldn't be events like these beat downs. Likewise, why do MMA fighters have the mentality to beat down tai chi practitioners, a fellow human being? Because fighters lack the proper theories and applications of the morals behind martial arts and self-defense, and are limited to whatever indoctrination they went throw on each martial arts school, and each MMA business bases they participate in, that influences their attitude of other traditional martial artists and fighters as just moving punching bags, little to no regard for other people. If MMA fighters are so educated in martial arts/self-defense theories and applications, then why do these fighters choose to ground and pound tai chi practitioners instead of submit them, via neck chokes, or limb submissions, or treat them with respect and humility?

Sixthly, with your mindset, that my country would laugh at the idea of having self-defense integrated into the education system, is one reason why many people today, in various other countries, for example mainland China, have this myopic view of avoiding other people's plights, when such intervention could help or save a life. This mindset prolongs cases like below:

Finally, I don't like it when more people don't know how to handle self-defense, martial arts, and just ignore other people's troubles when intervention could help save a life. This lack of intervention comes from the general ignorance of not knowing how to handle these types of situations, and I belief that if education systems around the world start teaching younger generations proper self-defense/martial arts theories and applications, then this would greatly reduce the myopic attitudes towards not helping other people because you simply don't know how to.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this issue.

This is one example of the kind of teacher in mind for teaching various self defense styles in the education system, for all teachers to see:

You would never ask this question in Norway xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

7 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

Sixthly, with your mindset, that my country would laugh at the idea of having self-defense integrated into the education system, is one reason why many people today, in various other countries, for example mainland China, have this myopic view of avoiding other people's plights, when such intervention could help or save a life. This mindset prolongs cases like below:

This phenomena is not endemic to a specific culture. It's a social phenomenon called "the Bystander effect": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

9:58 His explanations seem very dodgy to me, makes me doubt his credibility.

Edited by Carl-Richard

@Carl-Richard

On 12/21/2020 at 1:53 AM, Carl-Richard said:

This phenomena is not endemic to a specific culture. It's a social phenomenon called "the Bystander effect": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

9:58 His explanations seem very dodgy to me, makes me doubt his credibility.

My point still stands that self-defense and martial arts should be taught in the education system.

Edited by Danioover9000

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

My point still stands that self-defense and martial arts should be taught in the education system.

That's fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Carl-Richard

42 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

That's fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's also fine to be under the bystander effect, and avoid getting into conflicts or stepping in between an assailant and your family member, lover, friend, or fellow co-worker. Just walk off and chill.

schools should teach consciousness and not to bully 

bullying was a big problem when I was in school. Not sure if it has gotten better since. 

27 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

bullying was a big problem when I was in school. Not sure if it has gotten better since. 

It never will get better.

38 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

It's also fine to be under the bystander effect, and avoid getting into conflicts or stepping in between an assailant and your family member, lover, friend, or fellow co-worker. Just walk off and chill.

I don't understand what you're implying with that lol

@Lyubov

39 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

I agree that schools should teach consciousness, but just telling some of those children/adolescents not to bully is not enough to stop bullying. There are a number of factors that contribute to bullying, and I'll list them out  and how my claim that self-defense and martial arts being taught in the education system might help reduce bullying: Lack of discipline training, lack of proper boundary maintenance, and humility. 

On 12/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, Blackhawk said:

Wow! you are kidding right?

You have definitely never been to a martial arts class in your life...

Or you are joking....

@Danioover9000 You are talking about self defense and posting gina videos. We as the rest of the world should defend ourselves from Gina. The best defense sometimes is a good offense. I wish SOMEONE (USA I am staring at you) should start a war against Gina so their 1984 BULLSHIT does not expand to the rest of the world.

Found another video that's excellent. An interview on Dan Inosanto, who was one of the few teachers that studied under Bruce Lee. Another good role modal for future study if schools worldwide start self-defense programs in the education system:

@Arcangelo

39 minutes ago, Arcangelo said:

@Danioover9000 You are talking about self defense and posting gina videos. We as the rest of the world should defend ourselves from Gina. The best defense sometimes is a good offense. I wish SOMEONE (USA I am staring at you) should start a war against Gina so their 1984 BULLSHIT does not expand to the rest of the world.

I do agree that my examples are from one source, that does not mean you should limit yourself to my examples. If I find other different examples, I'll post here. Feel free to share your perspective on the education system teaching self-defense and martial arts, and share examples different from mine.

I have provided examples different from my China ones here:

and

Edited by Danioover9000