GroovyGuru

First 2 months in a corporate job and my thoughts

27 posts in this topic

@Space I haven’t literally been doing nothing. I have music playing basically all day and I do go on YouTube and take little breaks to stretch out or read or browse the forum like I am right now. 

Like I said, I just had trouble accepting the fact that sometimes there’s just nothing to do. I had this fantasy that a corporate job meant non-stop slave work all day. And if I was doing nothing, it would be noticed and frowned upon. Now I’m learning it’s normal and other people sometimes have nothing to do either. So going forward I’m going to be more deliberate with what I do with downtime and try to mainly use that time to work on myself and continue learning

@GroovyGuru Can layout what your typically do in day? (time block) How much of your time is spent doing focused work? Just curious.

@Bando Basically, I work on a team of about 12 people or so. We all get assigned specific work that is more or less basically always the same and quite repetitive. It gets to a point sometimes that there is literally nothing really to do if your work is complete. It can be like this for a whole week, where you can get you work done in an hour and have nothing to do the rest of the day. Just depends how much work you're being assigned which also depends on other factors.

8:00-9:15 : Check on the work I did yesterday, see if anything needs to be reworked or fixed. See if there is any quick, easy work to get done before meeting.

9:15-10:00 : Team meeting where we go over goals and see where everyone is at with their work

10:00-12:00 : Do more work if you even have any

12:00-1:00 : Lunch

1:00-4:30 : Continue working until end of day. Every once in a while we might have a random hour meeting around 3 or 3:30

10 hours ago, tsuki said:

@GroovyGuru THIS. Milk that corporation dry.

It's not milking when they give you no work and you got dead time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yea financing is boring as hell. Engineering things is more fun. Because you get to design stuff. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's not milking when they give you no work and you got dead time.

There is nothing wrong with milking a company that tries to break your spirit/milks you of your energy ?

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

If workers were really honest, most office jobs are about 3 hours of actual work per day, and 5 hours of fantasy football, Facebook, chatting with coworkers, watching Youtube videos, all while trying to stay alert enough so you can look busy when your boss walks by.

Think about how much productivity and just hours of your life are wasted playing this stupid game of pretending to be busy. If we were just honest, we could work super hard for 3 hours a day without distraction, still do the same amount of work, but go home by lunch and have the rest of the day to ourselves. You actually get punished for working faster or more efficient than slower colleagues.

It's fine for the average person with a 100 IQ who can just do the same mindless thing day after day. But if you're on this forum, that's probably not you. Somebody who can only get halfway through a summer internship before feeling depressed and like they'll kill themselves if they have to keep doing this for 40 more years, that's somebody who's perfectly ready to find their life purpose. Money and stability is good, but it's also a trap. The more you get, the harder it is to throw it all away and take a risk. So the sooner you can start the better.

I worked through the entire life purpose course in downtime in the afternoons at work. Then once I found out what my life purpose was, I spent probably half my day working on my new business instead of just mindlessly passing the time. Until I was sure enough that I was ready to give my 2 weeks notice.

If you really want to play the long game -- figure out how you can automate your job as much as possible, but don't tell anybody. Simple Excel macros can turn 8-hour jobs at inefficient companies into 10 minutes of work per day if you're just moving shit between cells in spreadsheets for most of the day. Spending a little time to learn programming and you can automate pretty much anything. Then do your job super-efficiently, collect your paycheck, but spend your days working on what you actually want to.

Edited by Yarco