jj40

Finding a Direction in Life

8 posts in this topic

Hi I am in real need of some advice here.

It seems that currently and probably for about a year or so I can't find any motivation in life. I don't know what to do anymore all the meaning in careers and moving forward in society seems to not entice me. I want to be doing something interesting with my life but cannot figure out what to do after watching 100 hours of this content. It feels like everything around me is just a construction and not real making it very difficult for me to take any of this seriously. I don't know how to create a life for myself. I have degrees in mathematics and physics but don't know how to use them. I work a shitty job and just have been saving with the idea of getting in my car and driving away to explore. But I feel like I am just running away. I try to gain momentum but just lose it after a while as I cannot seem to develop any clear vision or purpose in my life. I used to be a super motivated and driven individual and believe I still am, however because I feel as if my entire reality has been broken and it all seems like a game to me I can't seem to find a way to motivate myself to move forward. I mean the thing I am moving forward within is just a construction. What do I do here? Has anyone else experienced this issue when entering into a sort of relativistic state of mind. I just feel so lost and completely out of sync with my surroundings. I feel trapped unable to re-orient myself in this new reality I am in.

Any practical steps or advice would be so helpful this really has effected my entire life. I am also becoming self destructive as I am so bored with no where to put all this energy.

Thanks,

Jacob  

@jj40

Jacob,

It's a common thing for people to be experiencing right now.

First thing I would ask is do you have a spiritual practice? As in meditation, yoga, breathwork etc.

Without that, it can be difficult to tap into our deeper intuitions about what direction we should head.

Work on getting a direction consciously. Really deeply question what you really want to do right now? What would be the best course of action? Ask deeply and really care for obtaining an answer, don't be sleazy about it and you'll be able to get it

I feel the exact way right now, but it wasn't always this way for me. I have been living with purpose for the past few years. I think the best attitude to go about this is to be truly "you". This often requires some radical life changes and decisions that you're family/friends will probably disprove of (e.g. moving to a new country, starting a business, walking across the USA, becoming a professional butterfly collector ect...) 

So just don't get brought down by dogma or let other people tell you what to do. And as @aurum says having a spiritual practice will definitely help you to find that purpose. At least it helped me. 

@jj40 You obviously lack clarity in your life but but this won't just come to you by itself randomly one day. And it won't come from watching Youtube videos. You have to actively create clarity and focus in your life.

So sit down and intentionally and actively think about what you want to achieve. Actually write it out. Set a timer if you need to, and keep writing until the timer ends. If you don't know what you want, write out what you don't want. Keep doing this every week until you have a very very clear sense of what you want out of life. Then start to lay out actual action steps that you can take to achieve those goals.

Set the intention from today to figure out what you really really genuinely want and don't give up until you do. 

Like I said, having direction in life isn't just going to come to you in a flash one day. You have to be proactive about this.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@jj40

Hmm this is just an inkling but I may be completely wrong ...

"" the idea of getting in my car and driving away to explore. But I feel like I am just running away ""

Maybe that's what you need to do ? Stop trying to make a decision for a bit, stop looking for a purpose. Just run away.

Just get in your car & travel somewhere, another country, in nature, completely different, Maybe it will come to you then. 

Maybe through the power of free association, you will make a connection. But maybe this only happens when you shut off the logical mind, & change scenery. 

BTW : Watch leo's 2016 video "how to harness your intuition" (I'm watching this now It seems very very insightful)

Edited by Striving for more

@jj40

Not saying content isn't helpful but perhaps you've got content overload. Maybe going away would clear your head ... and you'd naturally connect the dots from the content you've consumed and all your life experience.