Ya know

Dropping meditation habit for growth? (Counter Intuitive)

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Been in an ego backlash for a good 3 weeks now. No interest in meditation and finding it super difficult after doing it for 3+ years consistently. 

My question is - could it actually be beneficial for me to drop it entirely and focus on materialism (orange values) to I can build up a strong ego that I can transcend? Or would dabbling in meditation actually hinder my progress?

I'm imagining the analogy of trying to drain a glass (meditating) with something that is already diluted (weak ego) so I'm not getting the real benefit.

Of course I could be rationalizing to avoid work. I could rebuild it with shorter sessions.

Thoughts?

A few thoughts:

Any ideas on the source of the ego backlash? 
Why do you think you need to focus on materialistic values?
Do you study meditation theory? It sure makes a difference.

Perhaps do some serious questioning before making any firm decisions yet. Cheers!

@WonderSeeker A new job that I'm not crazy about, frustration with personal issues, lack of great socialization and a general fed up attitude towards self improvement in general.

Spiral dynamic theory - integrate and transcend, lack of definite career path.

And nah, I've just been doing concentration based (20x2 per day) with some guided releases from transformation mastery sprinkled in. 

I have a feeling I want to go off and get wild, instead of being so disciplined and doing the same routine that i've been thrashing for the last few years. Prodigal son vibe. 

As long as you don't feel "stuck," there's no need to meditate. If you're stuck, the best way to move on is to meditate.

I’ve never needed meditation for enlightenment. 

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

Dont overcomplicate things, you can sit down for 20 min a day and stll focus on stage orange materialism or ego developement. 

Put into perspective : what are 20 min of meditation in 24 hours of your life? Nothing. 

You will reap the benefits of those 20 min x10 in terms of insights for your day to day life. 

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

8 minutes ago, mmKay said:

Dont overcomplicate things, you can sit down for 20 min a day and stll focus on stage orange materialism or ego developement. 

Put into perspective : what are 20 min of meditation in 24 hours of your life? Nothing. 

You will reap the benefits of those 20 min x10 in terms of insights for your day to day life. 

Yeah it’s practically suicide to not love yourself enough to meditate for at least 20 minutes a day.

Switch to concentration and practice more frequently than ever. Jhanas/absorption states will actually make you perform better at whatever you do.

Ego backlash comes from insight. Of course, concentration practice provides insight too but generally it is a bit more manageable.

What gurus dont tell you is that once you start meditating and get a bit serious about it there is no going back. 

But anyway - dont listen to me. Ask yourself why you are meditating in the first place and then decide.

Many awaken people said they got awaken when they didn't expect that at all. So, definitely, it might work!

I wouldn't recommend to do so. I used to meditate an hour - 2 hours a day and then I felt I was getting too attached and let go of meditation for a while. It has been 3 months, and I can't even meditate 30 mins properly now. I am going to build up to an hour again. But I think that feeling of "I would be able to grow if i let it go for a while cuz rn i am attached" can just be worked out through more mediation. I think you can get rid of attachment to meditation THROUGH mediation. 

This isn't counter-intuitive imo cuz for me it was intuitive to leave meditation for a while and take break.