IAmInfinite

Dark Night of the soul

9 posts in this topic

Hi @Leo Gura. What are your thoughts on the stage in spiritual development often called "Dark Night of the soul". Did you pass through such a phase and if so how did you go about it? 

I'm asking because my circumstances in life right now has brought me into this tunnel in which the light at the end of the tunnel isn't visible, at least yet. Please elaborate on your views on the matter and perhaps share some insights into how to deal with it. I know if there is one thing I should do, it is to surrender, but that seems to be impossible right now because my mind just isn't ready to. I'm lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your struggles, but rest assured, many have gone through this phase, and I'm sure you'll come out the other side. Keep the faith! 

Are you speaking about a specifically "spiritual" Dark Night of Soul (i.e. not being able to process and integrate an awakening experience) or just everyday life circumstances like breaking up with your partner or being fired from your job? Perhaps you provide some more details on what got you into this place and what you sense is keeping you stuck.

Do one small thing a day that makes you happy. Don't hate yourself for being depressed. To surrender would be to fully allow the negative feelings. Watch @Leo Gura's video "How to Deal With Strong Negative Emotions"

"You Create Magic" 

My version of it is quite different because of all the psychedelics I've done.

I basically used psychedelics a lot to face difficult truth, which sometimes result in difficult trips and long periods of integration.

Psychedelics take the edge off by showering you with Infinite Love and divinity. This aspect is missing a lot of times for people who only do self-inquiry. Without psychedelics you tend to get the no-self but not the God/Love.

There is nothing like Love to sweeten the bitterness of ego loss.

But no matter what, deconstructing the ego is challenging and bitter-sweet.

If you want to see some light at the end of the tunnel, try a psychedelic.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Why aren’t you shooting more videos about psychedelics? Where did your trip-report videos go? How about introducing the truckload of psychedelics that you teased us about?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Working through a dark night with psychedelics is honestly really good advice, I've heard stories of people being stuck in this for literal years when it's so unnecessary. 

Thank you for all the responses. I am not very active on this forum and hence the late reply, my apologies.

Edited by IAmInfinite
changed my mind.

If you don't want to go the psychedelic route, Daniel Ingram's MCTB book gives the Dark Knight a solid treatment. He gives you some resolutions and practical advice for navigating the territory. Just another option.