Lebowski

Severe ocd

35 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Someone here said:

The only solution to the OCD is don't act on it.  To the thoughts themselves you can't do anything you can't stop them. But you can stop the OCD action. And when you do the thoughts will decrease or lose their power over you. 

What to do if a investet 9 years in certaing thought and i cant let it go its very strong and rigid?

1 hour ago, evgn said:

What to do if a investet 9 years in certaing thought and i cant let it go its very strong and rigid?

You can't do anything. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 hour ago, evgn said:

The thought itself is not strong or rigid, but there's a strong feeling of fear underneath it that prevents you from letting go. If you examine the feeling closely, you will be able to detach briefly. And with practice, you will be able to increase that brief period of detachment. Until eventually when you will be able to let it go completely.

1. Start small.

2. Keep at it.

3. Time will take care of the rest.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

18 hours ago, Someone here said:

you can stop the OCD action. And when you do the thoughts will decrease or lose their power over you. 

I can confirm this. Over time the urge decreases because I focus on the good feeling coming from letting go.

4 hours ago, Member said:

I have an obsession for cleaning and washing my hands. Coronavirus makes it a thousand times worse ?

Me too and I've made a level of cleanliness model to be more functional and to be able to have a social life without getting triggered. But the virus situation didn't change a damn thing for me, lol.

On 23.10.2020 at 8:22 PM, Gesundheit said:

perfectionism

I cannot confirm this. Wanting to stay healthy is the reason for me. It sourced from an avoidance of alcohol in childhood and transfered to germs. I made games out of staying clean.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

7 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

I cannot confirm this. Wanting to stay healthy is the reason for me. It sourced from an avoidance of alcohol in childhood and transfered to germs. I made games out of staying clean.

Well, at least would you agree that perfectionism is a concept that includes health? And that wanting to stay healthy is a form of perfectionism?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

2 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

@Gesundheit Sure

Now I see, the content of perfectionism can take any form.

Furthermore, perfectionism falls under the umbrella of fear, which is the ultimate cause of OCDs. I have noticed that no matter the type of OCD, fear is always involved. And conversely, when we do stuff normally, there's no feeling of fear whatsoever.

@Member Could do some research on exposure and response therapy. Most seem to recommend doing it with a therapist. However, it doesn't seem all that complicated. 

I was having a bit of the same issue too at the start and I have broke through that cycle. I actually don't wash the bags or anything of the food I buy anymore either. I realize that I need the germs to actually thrive. That and I have heard that surfaces aren't really as much of concern for the virus. I will even consciously eat something without washing my hands from touching those food items etc now. Obviously if I have some grime or something gross on my hand I will wash it before eating. I still have good hygiene practices of course. I just don't have the same tendency to over worry about the germs from the virus or in general now. 

I actually have very little concern at this point with those germs from the virus. I wear a mask and all of that and I don't go out often anyway. 

@Average Investor I have an extreme fear of getting sick (mostly from germs) but it seems like this obsession has been with me from a very early age. I remember that my parents once gave me chocolate milk and I didn't want to drink it because there was a black dot, so I thought it was dirty. Funny thing is that have no problem if my personal space is dirty (like I trust "my" germs lmao) but I become very paranoid with germs from outside. Anyway, I also have periods when I am able to eat without washing just that with the recent events the symptoms got worse ?

1 hour ago, Member said:

I have an extreme fear of getting sick (mostly from germs) but it seems like this obsession has been with me from a very early age. [...] Funny thing is that have no problem if my personal space is dirty (like I trust "my" germs lmao) but I become very paranoid with germs from outside.

I see a pattern emerge ^_^ Do you remember an adult installing the fear of getting sick in you? For me it was my class teacher.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

@Member Yeah, in 3rd grade my teacher had talked to me about my excessive hand washing. So I am sure we are probably in a similar boat. I am still a bit overly picky with food stuff. I am starting to take the mold and stuff pretty seriously from a health stand point too. 

Search for ERP therapy if you want to see more of what I am talking about. I might explore this stuff a bit more. My goal is to eliminate OCD. I have mostly broken out of thought loops so far, which has been amazing. I feel much more at peace and liberated from more of my thoughts. Still a bit of an issue with hand washing and going into a very low conscious state doing it. No longer much of an issue in the shower. Video games seem to stir up OCD behavior too, so I quit playing them again for now. 

Edited by Average Investor

2 hours ago, Loving Radiance said:

I see a pattern emerge ^_^ Do you remember an adult installing the fear of getting sick in you? For me it was my class teacher.

Unfortunately, it was my mother who is a hypochondriac and suffers from depression. She used to leave the dishes dirty and all the house was a mess which made me develop this aversion for dirty stuff. At first, it wasn't that bad but as time passed by, it has become more problematic. But I also have a desire for perfection (which I guess it's still OCD related) and can't stand still if I don't see my things ordered. Not sure if that's a bad thing as I'm pretty content with my habitat lol... it only disturbs me when I'm getting in contact with things from outside ?

2 hours ago, Average Investor said:

Search for ERP therapy if you want to see more of what I am talking about. I might explore this stuff a bit more. My goal is to eliminate OCD. I have mostly broken out of thought loops so far, which has been amazing. I feel much more at peace and liberated from more of my thoughts. Still a bit of an issue with hand washing and going into a very low conscious state doing it. No longer much of an issue in the shower. Video games seem to stir up OCD behavior too, so I quit playing them again for now. 

Ok thanks, will see if the ERP therapy helps. Although, at the moment, I think it's useful since it makes me more aware than most of the people about viruses and stuff lol so coronavirus can't touch this ? Jk

Edited by Member

Jesus Christ I can’t believe this, why don’t we sniff a line of coke and take a little crystal while we’re at it.

Alright guys I judge things / ppl as ugly and that causes hatred and then of course thoughts come up