herghly

Internal family systems therapy

9 posts in this topic

In leo's most recent video he mentions something which reminds me of IFS.

You need to get all the different departments of your mind working together.

Has anyone done IFS parts work? I'm curious to hear others experieces.

Yeah.  I've been working with a therapist who I think has certification or experience with it.  It's not like we do "strictly" IFS, like "Ok, A-B-C...".  It feels to me like a more natural and fluid thing. 

But I definitely have gained so much from this in integrating different aspects of myself.  Before I'd being doing lots of mindfulness and such, which is great for developing concentration and seeing your mind more, but it doesn't really deal with things as they arise (all the time, especially with large emotional upheavals).  I've found mindfulness without other emotional/psychological strategies is like having a metal-detector without a shovel.  Sure, you may unearth and see lots of stuff under the surface, but it's hard to unearth and deal with it.  Of course not always, sometimes I've done a lot of just observing and letting go.  But for me there's limits to that with certain issues.

IFS has really shown me that if there's an issue I face, even with external relationships, I can go inside and become the "Observer" or "Self", try to face each aspect as it is, integrate and understand it, and then not get overwhelmed by it.

Made me realize how much of a mess my internal aspects were, and then gave me a way to systematically deal with, communicate, and understand them.  Not just like "Oh, I'm having this emotion and I'm going to suppress it, or mindfulness it away."  Instead, it's like giving each aspect attention, healing, and understanding which heals things wayyyy more and almost like gives more permanent and deeper psychological healing.  Like learning how to "self" myself haha.... like relationally, instead of looking at myself as a single thing, seeing how I'm many things and all these aspects need attention and understanding and healign and compassion to resolve them and not have them be in conflict and allow them to be as they are without having backlashes and outbursts etc.

Super good stuff IMO.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Having said that, I still benefit from other P.O.V.s on healing and emotions.  Like more "bottom-up" approached which have more biological/physiological rootz in changing states.  Like putting my body upside down, hugging myself and rubbing my arms together, changing my breathing patterns, using peripheral vision to relax, etc.  

Mixing between different perspectives has helped.  Like from the physiological, meditative/mindfulness, contemplative/psychoanalytical, imaginary-felt-sense/IFS, feeling feelings, and even using distractions skillfully. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Thanks for the replies.

I've heard IFS and psychedelics go well together. At least according to MAPS.

Can this form of therapy be done on oneself? 

I took two six week courses online with IFS.  The course included practicing with others during the week.     The first course was on the protectors.  The protectors are subpersonalities that we develop when we are children in order to protect us in the environment we were in.   The second course was on the exiles.  The exiles are what some call the inner child.  But in IFS, you can have more than one inner child.    You need to know the protectors first, because the protectors will not let you see the exiles (whom they protect) until they gain your trust.  Once you contact an exile, you can unburden it, i.e. release it from its extreme views and pain.  Once the exile is unburdened, the protector can be updated to perform more constructive strategies in your adult world.    Also, the IFS model has the “self” which is compassionate and creative.  The goal is to have the “self” be in control of the inner family system.  

https://personal-growth-programs.com/ifs-courses/

Edited by Jodistrict

Vincit omnia Veritas.

19 hours ago, Matt23 said:

I've found mindfulness without other emotional/psychological strategies is like having a metal-detector without a shovel

?

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

On 12/10/2020 at 3:44 AM, Matt23 said:

I've found mindfulness without other emotional/psychological strategies is like having a metal-detector without a shovel.

That is a great analogy. I love that haha, you couldn’t be more right! :) 

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.