Charlotte

Philosophy/Philosophers/Sociology

7 posts in this topic

I've started studying criminology, sociology and psychology as the next phase of my LP development. I'm only on week 2 and I have truly fallen in love with everything philosophy and sociology. Simply learning about these people and seeing the patterns that emerge through time is absolutely mind blowing for me. I'm also able to gain some perspective on why we are the way we are today (society) (based on the scientific revolution). 

My question to you guys is do you have a favorable philosopher? and if so why? Also, what are your perspectives on today due to history? Have you noticed anything yourself that you would like to share? ^_^

Ken Wilber is probably my current favorite. I like the big picture aspect of his thinking, also because of how much developmental psychology interests me, and how he incorporates that into his philosophies :)

Thomas Nagel is my favorite; he's a contemporary philosopher who dives deep into integrating subjective experience (phenomenology) into an external objective reality. A lot of his work deals with the nature of consciousness, and he's become well known for his rejection of materialist reductionism when it comes to understanding how the mind works.

He's also written quite a bit on law and ethics, and deals with questions such as Moral Luck and what it means to live a Good Life.

One thing I really appreciate about Nagel is that he illuminates really interesting questions, but is also humble enough to admit that not every question is going to have a satisfying answer, and goes on to examine ways to cope with that uncertainty.

Edited by DocWatts
grammar clarity

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

On the path to reach Strategist ?

I won't be able to say «filthy hippie» anymore ?

?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

12 hours ago, Charlotte said:

I've started studying criminology, sociology and psychology as the next phase of my LP development. I'm only on week 2 and I have truly fallen in love with everything philosophy and sociology. Simply learning about these people and seeing the patterns that emerge through time is absolutely mind blowing for me. I'm also able to gain some perspective on why we are the way we are today (society) (based on the scientific revolution). 

My question to you guys is do you have a favorable philosopher? and if so why? Also, what are your perspectives on today due to history? Have you noticed anything yourself that you would like to share? ^_^

Marx was one of my favorites in college. He made some excellent critiques of capitalism and industrial society, although I believe there's better more modern analysis to be had.

14 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Albert Camus ?

and also Ken Wilber?

Edited by Bernardo Carleial