Applegarden

Huge bruh moment regarding iron deficiency

10 posts in this topic

This article from "Minerals and Trace Elements" literally says: "Iron deficiency anaemia is the most common nutritional deficiency in the world, often affecting women and young children, and is found in the UK population too."

It is just mindbreaking for me as a vegetarian. Every boomer, almost every one of my peers asked me about my heme-iron source and possibility of deficiency because of not consuming meat... Meanwhile, a large population with meat eaters have the same problem. Hm (big intense thinking emoji).

Maybe it's because our diet is completely shit and nobody keeps track of anything and the ones who do can't get access to objectively true sources with minimum researching effort. Not to mention that we eat with our emotion, not to survive. Huge bruh moment for me, kinda obvious, but now its just... I shouldn't take any health advice from my peers or collegues at work, because they eat the food that work provides them to eat (70% meats and carbs with processed salad), some of them smoke, alot of them have stomaches, vision problems, chronic diseases and like to snack and eat snacks at work and eat before sleep. And EVERYBODY is an ocassional and some even a daily drinker (beer sipping before sleep) Nobody is really even striving for health, maybe when it gets really bad. Period.

Link to the article:

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritionscience/nutrients-food-and-ingredients/minerals-and-trace-elements.html?showall=1&limitstart=&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=86d0280e864af4146378dab61dc102fa13123142-1601753375-0-ATF8TvkUfgQ7LKeal4a05hOPs5t-6JPbv-_MTdU5p0nID4mjeK0-p2J1_LetcXNtzanWyAozybGpsLOvHLlO5tNNa5PSN-sJ59R95ANPNkoKeY94na9a0sEOreIIJJ4hZ9Xo826zzWJdzWnWGqqhOx0KkhqcmjatAoIAF1VRjNpbzpIzkBhgQKCPLaY1AIf0rkObFPVVY9VXfpVxbPPJ059-GeGpp_kELzPTu12O1aeUHAeczBAMX3n5HsFjhZ7UwECf40ewo4TU88K-iQz7GbxAuXpFVkEOdc5_9ihIhr4VtAI7M0XzBoqVACRKVSkCywOneY3-BdGjDe2e1wifgqFnTEUi3IcUTHYCgXrGXFhX7b01567B8Hfvyop4DFf8X9W7N8mryODzzEUebepO19auTweNuaIIZGXt4iZ57I5rZk0_Z5kvPl5RRbzjw0FmQr8P4ju_WhJpd5gzrePse4k

Edited by Applegarden

Yeah most people don't know shit about food and health so it's best to take casual advice with a grain of salt

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Iron deficiency is a global problem same as B12 deficiency. It happens to vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. You can actually be eating beef twice a week and still be iron deficient. 

16 hours ago, Applegarden said:

kinda obvious, but now its just... I shouldn't take any health advice from my peers or collegues at work, because they eat the food that work provides them to eat (70% meats and carbs with processed salad), some of them smoke, alot of them have stomaches, vision problems, chronic diseases and like to snack and eat snacks at work and eat before slee

nope you shouldn't :D 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 2020.10.4. at 3:32 PM, Michael569 said:

Iron deficiency is a global problem same as B12 deficiency. It happens to vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. You can actually be eating beef twice a week and still be iron deficient. 

nope you shouldn't :D 

Yeah approx 2 bil people are iron deficient. And B12 too, wow, that comes as somewhat of a shock to me.

The problem is i even graduated food production, i am supposed to be somewhat familliar with nutrition. I even have the conspects in my texbook about various topics on biochemistry. Still, somehow, in this uninspiring education i become ignorant of this...

And the "advice" from other people comes like an attack or an insult of: "How dare you eat differently than me!?" Or that i should be eating this or that, because i read something somewhere or some popularity appeal argument. 

@Applegarden it is not something taught in schools, and I think this should change. 

B12 is not as massive problem but it is on the rise with more ppl turning into all sorts of elimination diets (vegan, veegtarian) or just really cutting out portions of foods that they wouldn't have before without replacing them. 

For example it is ok to cut out meat but if you don't have a replacement of B12 you can end up with stroke or central nervous system demyelination. I am now working with someone who started having seizures and faints regularly because of this. Crazy & dangerous stuff. I fear for all vegans who go for it for the animals (grandiose goal) but don't have any idea what they are doing. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 is a supplement enough? I take it daily, but wondering if J need to do more? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

14 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

is a supplement enough? I take it daily, but wondering if J need to do more? 

Yeah, that it usually enough if the diet isn't otherwise deficient 

20 hours ago, Michael569 said:

it is not something taught in schools, and I think this should change. 

Teachers in my school sometimes do give nutrition advice and it's always like start your day with a healthy cereal, cook on a healthy vegetable oil.. maybe it's better that there are no nutrition lessons :D But I agree with you, this has to change.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

22 minutes ago, Villager Albert said:

Teachers in my school sometimes do give nutrition advice and it's always like start your day with a healthy cereal, cook on a healthy vegetable oil.. maybe it's better that there are no nutrition lessons :D But I agree with you, this has to change.

I guess its better than nothing indeed but what I'd say we need to educate children on making healthy food choices. For example just teaching people to eat more fruits can probably save several tens of thousands of heart attacks a year. Now imagine the impact of children of 8 knowing and being accustomed to eating 8 portions of fruits & veggies a day unlike this madness here in UK.....this in my opinion is more impactful than having to memorise a date when Magna Carta was signed and stuff like that that you can now pull of google in 10 seconds. Ecological care is another one I hope will be added to schools. 

It might happen at some time but not anytime soon. 

Your average "meat eater" consumes a diet of 80% plants, with some grain-fed beef burger and deep-fried chicken here and there. Eat some liver or drink some raw blood, your anemia will disappear at the speed of light.

Edited by Village