Superfluo

Too much nutrients?

15 posts in this topic

Don't know if this question has already been answered, but I didn't find anything.

Can you reach a harmful level in vitamin intake? Which vitamins should not be taken too much of? Which vitamins are "without side effects"? How do you know if you took too much of a vitamin?

And what about proteins (vegetable proteins), phytonutrients, omega-3 fats, cholesterol (HDL)?

I'm reading The Ultramind Solution, and the author says that to be healthy we should ramp up our vitamins intake. But he mentions the potential harm of too much vitamin D, calcium and magnesium only. So other vitamins and minerals don't have negative consequences?

Thank you!

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

Some vitamins for sure. You can get Vitamin A poisoning from polar bear meat because it's so high. There's also a thing called rabbit starvation you can get if you only eat rabbit meat, because it's so low in fat.

If you are getting your vitamins from leafy greens and vegetables, it's very unlikely that you're going to reach harmful levels. Your body can naturally balance it out, or you physically won't be able to eat enough. If you're taking supplements I'd go with the recommendations on the bottle though.

Vitamin D it'd be hard to get too much unless you are really overdoing it. I forget the percentage of people that are Vitamin D deficient but it's huge. Most people can take 5,000 iu's a day without any issue. But check with a doctor if you aren't sure.

Short answer:

All water sollible vitamins, you can't overdose, you pee it out.

All fat sollible vitamins, they stack up and you can get poisoned. 

Protein - yes you can over-do it. Not sure what happens, probably decrease in testosterone and gastro intestinal issues 

Phytonutrients - These should be called phytochemicals, not nutrients, why even consume these? Just because they trigger the glutathione pathway for antioxidants? You can do that with exercise too. 

The rest depends on your overall health. Example, A lot of calcium can be great if you have a healthy metabolism and good levels of D and K2 vitamins, so the stuff gets stored in your bones properly.

Magnesium overdose I don't know.. probably just puke. 

Too much salt - dehydration

Too little salt - bad cellular gradient/ headaches, poor energy, might pass out if you happen to run a marathon.

High Sugar  - Blood sugar and insulin spikes, high blood glucose levels are unhealthy, cause damage etc. 

High fat (low sugar) - Probably lowers your metabolic rate, drives you into fat metabolism, which is less efficient. Body still needs glucose so it's gonna convert protein or fat into glucose (gluconeogenesis). If high fat and and high sugar, insulin resistance and high blood sugar will follow.

Hope that helps a little.

If you want more information, I highly recommend 

highenergynutrition.com :)

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

On 27/09/2020 at 11:44 PM, UDT said:

All water sollible vitamins, you can't overdose, you pee it out.

All fat sollible vitamins, they stack up and you can get poisoned. 

Protein - yes you can over-do it. Not sure what happens, probably decrease in testosterone and gastro intestinal issues 

Phytonutrients - These should be called phytochemicals, not nutrients, why even consume these? Just because they trigger the glutathione pathway for antioxidants? You can do that with exercise too. 

The rest depends on your overall health. Example, A lot of calcium can be great if you have a healthy metabolism and good levels of D and K2 vitamins, so the stuff gets stored in your bones properly.

Magnesium overdose I don't know.. probably just puke. 

Too much salt - dehydration

Too little salt - bad cellular gradient/ headaches, poor energy, might pass out if you happen to run a marathon.

High Sugar  - Blood sugar and insulin spikes, high blood glucose levels are unhealthy, cause damage etc. 

High fat (low sugar) - Probably lowers your metabolic rate, drives you into fat metabolism, which is less efficient. Body still needs glucose so it's gonna convert protein or fat into glucose (gluconeogenesis). If high fat and and high sugar, insulin resistance and high blood sugar will follow.

good stuff!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

5 hours ago, Michael569 said:

good stuff!

Do you agree with @UDT 's view on phytonutrients?

@Superfluo to a degree :) Supplemental phytochemicals are mostly just big ass doses of synthetic antioxidants and their main use is what he said. 

What I'd add is that natural phytochemicals and polyphenols have so many effects that we don't even know how to observe most of them yet. For me personally the immunomodulatory effects of polyphenols on the level of gut microbiome is absolutely fascinating. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Only the fat-solvable vitamins, omega 6 and microelements you can really overdose. Of course, too much coffee and other substances like nervous stimulants and other biochemically active compounds in herbs you can overdose. But the rest will go out with urine as per what i learned.

@Superfluo @Applegarden

Got it, thank you!

There's been some mixed research, some show that taking multivitamins contributes to mortality, and some show no effect on mortality. My stance is that it's better to stay on the safe side and just not take extra supplements you don't need. Instead, target things you know your diet is deficient in. And if your cookware is not teflon/ceramic/non-stick then it's most likely steel and will leech enough iron into your food when you cook in it.

@hookdump Yes, you're right. Better safe than sorry. Thank you.

It won't ever become a problem with food unless you eat a very high amount of liver. That'd cause your copper:zinc and vitamin A:D ratio way out of balance and you'd become deficient in zinc and vitamin D.

25% or so of people also have a gene defect that makes them unable to flush out iron so it accumulates and causes iron toxicity. You can donate blood once in a while or get your genes tested to make sure.

Also too much calcium from dairy is a problem if you don't get enough magnesium.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

@Villager Albert Thank you, do you know the name of that gene?