meow_meow

Is Kundalini Yoga dangerous?

48 posts in this topic

My daily enlightenment practices include 35minute meditation, where I sit with my eyes closed and actively release thoughts if they arise, and keep my attention on my breath.
After meditation I take a short brake - drink water, bathroom or stretch, then I proceed with self-inquiry 45minutes, where my goal (Up to now) was to realize what is "I". Now I'm just trying to look at what the question "What is existance?" is pointing at, the thing I cant grasp with my mind.

Anyway, today I tried 'Kundalini' Yoga for the first time following this video, and... woooh. That is something.

So my question is - are the techniques in this video effective? Is it worth continuing it like this?

Also after my session I started googling, looking for what people say about this and I encountered an interesting video where Sadhguru explains, why is it dangerous.

He says something like about "Jumping into an abyss", "You might not be ready for change" etc.
But how does this apply practically? What are the chances of anything dangerous happening?

I mean I've already experienced some very very unpleasant moments trough self-inquiry (Realizing "I" is illusory, realizing everything is made of the same 'stuff', existencial terrors, 'dark night of the soul' etc)
What can go wrong?

25 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

What can go wrong?

That's actually funny lol

Your whole life will be gone.

In regards to Kundalini. No, it's not dangerous, not more dangerous than pursuing the spiritual path in general.

11 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

That's actually funny lol

Your whole life will be gone.

In regards to Kundalini. No, it's not dangerous, not more dangerous than pursuing the spiritual path in general.

What do you mean?
It's not like it has ever even been "my" life anyways.

If you're trying to awaken the Kundalini I'd like to point out that the process afterward can get quite challenging for many. It's advisable to do research and look at both sides & the middle of this process when it comes to Kundalini stuff. There are many unpleasantries that can occur when Kundalini/Shakti is doing her thing (often categorized as "Kundalini Syndrome"). Ultimately, it's for your personal growth and samadhi/liberation, but nevertheless it can get hairy. 

I haven't looked into the video so I can't say much about that, but below is something that I wrote/posted before that might apply here too. 

----

Some warn that the most commonly/popular practiced Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan isn't ideal because it is an incomplete yogic system which, besides experiencing "deeper states/energetic stuff", can backfire and cause harm to the practitioner. This isn't to say that Kundalini Yoga as taught by Bhajan isn't useful or beneficial, yet it's said to have its pitfalls & blindspots. When doing energy-work, proper integration & grounding is highly recommended & being mindful of not rigidly forcing & overstimulating the energetic/bodily-system.

Apparently, the original practice of Kundalini Yoga is summed up in this picture: Kundalini Yoga.jpg

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

It doesnt seem like your life goes away. To me it seems like you become more aligned with your life, what you want, etc. You become more you. I dont understand the story of people saying your life is gone. 

Genesis 27:27-29

So can you directly start with kundalini yoga or would be some other yoga maybe better to prepare you for this kundalini stuff?

59 minutes ago, DreamScape said:

It doesnt seem like your life goes away. To me it seems like you become more aligned with your life, what you want, etc. You become more you. I dont understand the story of people saying your life is gone. 

The ego is gone.

For most people the ego is all they know about "themselves"

2 hours ago, iTommy said:

If you're trying to awaken the Kundalini I'd like to point out that the process afterward can get quite challenging for many. It's advisable to do research and look at both sides & the middle of this process when it comes to Kundalini stuff. There are many unpleasantries that can occur when Kundalini/Shakti is doing her thing (often categorized as "Kundalini Syndrome"). Ultimately, it's for your personal growth and samadhi/liberation, but nevertheless it can get hairy.

Have you actually had such experience?

I don't know if you are talking about the yogi bhajan "kundalini yoga" or the classical kundalini yoga / tantra yoga. If it's the latter, it can be very dangerous. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what he's / she's talking about.

3 minutes ago, Toby said:

I don't know if you are talking about the yogi bhajan "kundalini yoga" or the classical kundalini yoga / tantra yoga. If it's the latter, it can be very dangerous. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what he's / she's talking about.

I am talking about the one in the video posted in te he topic. I assume it's classical.
Can you please explain how exactly it can be dangerous?

I don't want to watch the video now because I'm on my mobile...

Well, for me, I didn't even want to awaken kundalini. Just did accidently the wrong exercises. It just happened and coming with this there was a constant energy running through me an pushing against my third eye and heart chakra which caused constant physical pain sometimes to the point that I don't wish my worst enemies (if I had enemies) would have. It sounds romantic but this pressure pain lastet for 7-8 years and because of that I would not recommend to play with exercises.

@meow_meow if you were to talk to Sadhguru, he would tell you that kundalini practices without proper instruction or guidance is a risky thing. 

Some people think that this kundalini is a tangible force that needs to be scientifically balanced with careful care. Therefore knowledge about the supposed mechanisms of kundalini, or at the very least, knowledge which has been supposedly tested to avoid potential negatives when practiced, is seen as essential. 

So the kundalini is seen as an alchemical/scientific force to be skillful with. The same way a pottery artist has to be precise, exact, with how they apply newtonian force to shape wet clay in the precisely desired form and shape. 

But I don't know if these people are right. Kundalini might not have the same level of existence of let's say, this table in front of me.

The approach I've taken it to just find a good book with some guidance and don't skip steps. Follow these people's advice for what the proper method is. 

Although, to be honest, I might just mess with that and not keep this approach and attitude in the future. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

6 minutes ago, Toby said:

Just did accidently the wrong exercises. It just happened and coming with this there was a constant energy running through me an pushing against my third eye and heart chakra which caused constant physical pain sometimes to the point that I don't wish my worst enemies (if I had enemies) would have. It sounds romantic but this pressure pain lastet for 7-8 years and because of that I would not recommend to play with exercises.

Holy fuck, I guess Sadhguru wasnt bullshittin us.

Edit:  From which exercises did it happen exactly? How did the pain suddenly stop? How did you manage it? How many times did you actually did the exercises before the pain started? Did you visit a doctor?

Edited by meow_meow

Well if you're lucky everything goes fine but I know from researching that my symptoms are not even that uncommon.

@meow_meow Also dude, bear in mind that Sadhguru is a speaker for normies.

Therefore it's in his motive to value heavily his listeners egoic comfort. Uncovering the shadow has always been a part of this process, but since Sadhguru is marketing this product where spirituality=bliss, he only sells you one side of the story. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

53 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

Have you actually had such experience?

Yes. I speak from personal & direct experience. Kundalini/Shakti is doing her thing "within me" and it can be quite the ride... once she's active there's no going back. 

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

8 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

Edit:  From which exercises did it happen exactly? How did the pain suddenly stop? How did you manage it? How many times did you actually did the exercises before the pain started? Did you visit a doctor?

I did EFT for 2-3 hours almost every day for a year, reiki, osteopathy, kinesiology, brainwave stuff with different frequencies, guided chakra meditation, chakra visualizations, chakra music, did a lot of pickup which might had some play in it as well. That's about it I guess. I don't know what exactly triggered it though. Unfortunately I also did a lot of things that excited the energy even more instead of calming it down. Certain yoga, Tai chi or breathing techniques or visiting to many spiritual teachers would fall into that category. There were also things that helped of course.

I don't know how exactly it stopped tbh. Some of it is is still going energy wise but no pain or pressure at all. And from research I don't consider the process complete in a spiritual sense.

4 minutes ago, iTommy said:

Yes. I speak from personal & direct experience. Kundalini/Shakti is doing her thing "within me" and it can be quite the ride... once she's active there's no going back. 

Could You please be more specific and describe exactly this unpleasant process, and how exactly did it happen to you?

20 minutes ago, lmfao said:

@meow_meow

The approach I've taken it to just find a good book with some guidance and don't skip steps. Follow these people's advice for what the proper method is. 

Although, to be honest, I might just mess with that and not keep this approach and attitude in the future. 

What books would you recommend, maybe you could recommend a youtube/any video of better techniques on how to do this yoga?

1 hour ago, meow_meow said:

Could You please be more specific and describe exactly this unpleasant process, and how exactly did it happen to you?

Awakening the Kundalini was an intuitive process, and the process afterward still is. I didn't really have a strict intention to awaken the Kundalini energy, although I used some guided meditations aimed at Kundalini awakening a few times. I used to do concentrative meditation for around 2 years or so and in-between other tools now & then such as breathwork, different guided meditations, psychedelics, contemplation/Self-Inquiry, and so on. Eventually, the awakening occurred. I recall during a half-asleep/awake state, energy making its way through my system. But, even before that, there were some energetic/mystical experiences that had occurred. Others report more vividly- intense Kundalini awakening experiences, this varies again from person to person.

After this...

Kundalini is keen on purging patterns, traumas, etc.- energies that aren't aligned with samadhi/liberation- the highest good/potential of a being. This means that the ego-structure will burn and a lot of deep-rooted issues, heavy thoughts and hefty emotions (amongst other things) might come to the surface to be transmuted/healed, integrated and let go. This can cause pain on several levels, even physical symptoms such as stinging back-pain that might feel like a pressing- energetic blockage. It can be really hard to concentrate, to function overall since the (nervous)-system gets re-calibrated. Fatigue, mind-fog, racing thoughts and emotions, impulsive/addicting behavior, digestion issues,  feverish symptoms, anxiety/depression/insomnia, fear, and so on aren't a seldom thing on such a journey. Old energies must go, and "more divine" energies will be integrated which will result in a deepening of consciousness. A typical "spiritual practice session" would often contain Kriyas (automatic spontaneous movements) to do the work. Certain Kriyas are taught in different Kundalini Yoga classes and in other types of Yoga, but with active Kundalini Kriyas are something that you don't do with conscious effort; Kundalini- Kriyas do you. 

Kundalini is basically the "Higher-Self" which will lead itself back home. This can take shape in some tough love. Surrendering to what occurs is much advised since Kundalini ultimately is in control. This though can be really tough for many in some way or another. 

----

I don't want to paint the picture that Kundalini awakening and/or the process afterward MUST be really tough or even horrifying. For some, it's not harsh. Kundalini is a gift by & from God to God. I just find it important to not just have eyes fixated on the treasure, but also shine light onto the path that leads one to it.

Edited by iTommy

4 minutes ago, iTommy said:

----

I don't want to paint the picture that Kundalini awakening and/or the process afterward MUST be really tough or even horrifying. It's a gift in essence by God, to God. I just find it important to not just have eyes fixated on the treasure, but also shine light onto the path that leads one to it.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

So in conclusion the "bad" side of kundalini is that it might bring up traumas (childhood abuse, rape, beatings, etc) that might interfere with everyday life?

If so, meh, been there done that. I have actually cried (I'm a 27 year old 'tough' looking dude) and had troubles falling asleep just from the childhood 'bad' things that self-inquiry and meditation bring up, and still sometimes bring up. I've had and still sometimes have nightmares of my abusive father and so on. But I've learnt to deal with that.

So would you guys @iTommy & @Toby recommend to continue this yoga practice considering my experience?