Elliott Hulse on Meditation

50 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Michal__ said:

Well, his head is empty regardless of meditation.:D

LOL xD

Best reply.

@benmitchell2812

On 9/1/2020 at 5:07 AM, benmitchell2812 said:

Elliott recently shed light on this about meditation (what are your guy's thoughts?) :

"It started when one of my successful friends winced at the mention of meditation.

He told me:

I can't do that stuff anymore, it makes your mind blank.

He told me he'd been meditating a lot. So much that his mind was completely blank. Like a desert. Tumbleweeds and all.

And obviously this has big implications for an entrepreneur, or any man on his hero's journey.

I didn't know at the time that my friend was referring to meditation sickness.

Yes, meditation can make you sick.

And no, it's not some woo-woo phenomenon. Most of the eastern religions have recognized meditation sickness as a normal occurrence.

Recently, I heard about one from a psychologist who “meditated so hard” she began tossing and turning in her sleep, became supremely anxious, had shortness of breath, and became overwhelmingly emotional.

In another more serious case, meditation apparently triggered a suicide."

Buddhists, Hindus, and other eastern religions have been aware of “meditation sickness” for hundreds of years.

The root cause of this strange ailment is a disconnection from the outside world and letting the mind go blank.

And that's the main reason why I no longer meditate - Letting the mind go blank alone is dangerous.

It’s like preparing the soil in the garden without planting anything.

Weeds will almost certainly infest your garden.

The same goes for the mind.

If you wipe it clean with meditation and leave it blank, you’re leaving your mind vulnerable to outside forces - demons, spirits, and negative beta thoughts.

You need to install new alpha software, add new files, and occupy that empty space with constructive thoughts to become a better man.

I think It's mainly about biases. Elliot has a body bias more than mind bias, which means that concepts and ideas are more difficult to deconstruct, especially if it's supportive of the body bias. He does have a point with meditation sickness, it is a spiritual purging process, meaning you will have a short or long periods of mental, emotional or physical turmoil, and then some higher peace is attained. Also, if you narrow most of your time and energy only meditating, it does nothing for your other areas of your life other than atrophy.

2 hours ago, Aspiraling Wizard said:

Your response :D

That was a request to give a more concrete answer. Now you just went in the complete other direction lol.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

3 hours ago, Aspiraling Wizard said:

Are you a qualified Neurophysiologist AND a qualified Reproductive Psychologist?

No but I am a qualified physician with a particular interest in neurology. Alpha and beta waves on the EEG refer to the frequencies of the spikes on the trace in terms of Herz and have nothing to do with alpha and beta in the way that Elliot Hulse uses them. There is no correlation whatever.

32 minutes ago, Red-White-Light said:

@benmitchell2812 He does make a good point about meditation sickness tbh. If only his explanation wasn’t tainted by his “alpha” persona. 

Wdym?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, Corpus said:

No but I am a qualified physician with a particular interest in neurology. Alpha and beta waves on the EEG refer to the frequencies of the spikes on the trace in terms of Herz and have nothing to do with alpha and beta in the way that Elliot Hulse uses them. There is no correlation whatever.

Alright I can see some of what you're saying in terms of the meanings assigned to the units of measurement and how the machine works. Correlation and causation are two different things as a reminder, however. These dynamics of energy and consciousness function FAR beyond what these machines can measure though and while I think you know that intellectually, you'll have to do a lot of spiritual work before you can start to see it at the existential level. I've been at it for about three years and I'm just getting started. Careful, the stuff you learned in medical school MAY limit you in your understanding of this as well but I've never been to medical school either. I just know they're operating purely from the materialist paradigm. Watch Leo's video called "The secret to Rapid Learning: Making Distinctions." You can make abstract "virtual" distinctions with these things. There is truly no such thing as an "alpha" wave, but we can take a large group of people and not only measure these things listed above, but also measure other aspects of their life and then draw conceptual lines between them based on perceived similarities between all these other aspects and the EEG measurements that may be useful relative to the goal of improving people's lives. We could measure a group of guys who register the "alpha" or "theta" waves on the EEG and then look at their level of success in business and dating as well as look at the level of success in these areas of guys who register the "beta" or "gamma" waves. I would submit to you that you're likely to "see" that certain "patterns" emerging and that RELATIVELY truthful conclusions could be made and that relatively useful and truthful categories and categorization criteria could be created that would be true to a certain degree from certain points of view AND that would be useful for improving people's lives. There are counter intuitive dynamics here too. You can have a person who is vibrating at such a high frequency that your machine will either not be able to measure it or it will actually register a flat or mostly flat line, which would lead most people to conclude that the person is dumb when in fact he's a highly educated and also Zen Minded person. You can have someone who registers a line with all kinds of sharp, rapid oscilations and you might conclude that this person must be so smart and thinking so deeply about so many things when actually he's stressed, confused and frustrated because he thinks he's smart but he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is and all that activity is more closely representative of all of his struggling to figure things out/the mental gymnastics he's doing. Then you can have someone who is essentially numbed out and braindead but appears very calm/peaceful/Zen minded and you'll get that same flatline and you may think he's God lol. The interpretation made by a given interpreter is always going to be more important than the measurement of any machine, as well as the "proper" integration and consideration of all other relatively relevant factors in a given person's life. These phenomena like frequency and vibration go all the way to the heart of the universe, far beyond the "physical." Again, I think you know a lot of this stuff at least intellectually. I don't even fully understand all of the stuff that we've both said about it, I'm grappling with it in real time while trying to articulate an opinion of mine that I think has validity and value and is based upon metaphysical truths and dynamics that modern science barely accounts for if at all. Hulse is the one that thinks these human created labels are actual aspects of existence. Whereas I'm proposing that we can hold the dots and lines that are possible to draw between these different phenomena as VIRTUALLY true so that we can look at the interplay between these dynamics in a cool and holistic new way and maybe even help some "beta" guys who are struggling in their lives in the process in a way that is far superior to black and white manosphere douchbaggery but which also incorporates some of the truth in what is espoused by guys coming from that frame of mind as well.