Adam M

Why Findland Has the Best Education System in the World!

10 posts in this topic

Inspiring!

I'm so passionate about education! I love seeing this stuff! If y'all have any other clips or resources about conscious education systems then please post here!

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

This is like some green eutopia.

Wish every education system was like this. 

We're not even close to this level here in Iceland, sadly. 

At first I thought this would be about a certain experimental school in Helsinki, but after watching the video I can confirm that its very accurate depiction of the average school here.

They got a playstation in the beanbag room!!! @Hansu this might be one of those experimental schools.

Edited by Adam M

It appears here that they are MUCH more selective with who they allow to become teachers. Contrast this to Canada where any schmuck who goes through teachers college (a 2 year program where u learn basically nothing) can teach.

This is a big deal. Education should be centered around the students and the teachers ability to teach.

But, he also makes a great point that teaching is a systemic issue. Good systemic analysis about teaching as a profession in general.

Edited by Adam M

If I look back at my high-school experience. The best skills I learned were wrestling, rugby, fitness/working out, how to write a good essay and how to structure my ideas, and how to socialize and make friends (and also how to roll a joint ;) ) Plus, I learned a fair amount about world war 1 and 2 and a bit about chemistry and biology. That being said, I took all of the hardest AP classes.

Just goes to show that some of the best lessons you can learn in school have nothing to do with learning specific ideas and have more to do with learning skills.

10 hours ago, Adam M said:

They got a playstation in the beanbag room!!! @Hansu this might be one of those experimental schools.

Nah, looks like a normal school to me. But the school looks big, so they might have more leftover money to invest in big pool tables and Playstations. At my school we basically had only outside activities, this was about 10 years ago.

I couldnt find articles about the experimental school, but in that school there was basically no walls, and the arrangements were more alike to an open office space. So every pupil of every age group were basically studying in the same room.

There was a big backlash against the school in media as some parents claimed their children hadn't learned enough to pass the grade. They accused the open office style, and that their children couldn't focus on learning because of that.

EDIT: I found an article about the experimental school. Its in Finnish tho: https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10919909

Not everyone in the school was studying in the same class, it was only 80 pupils per class ?

Edited by Hansu

Seems like Finland will get to stage yellow first, I made a prediction that the us would but I’d happily be wrong.

although they are very homogenous so I don’t know if I can truly count it even though it’s technically green/yellow. They certainly offer a good example. 

andrew Yang would be a great cabinet position, he is a strong proponent of measuring a countries success by happiness instead of gdp, and this goes as well in school, don’t measure solely by gpa, it’s important but what’s more important is a Holistic view And happiness should come first.