Study

Better Form Of Entertainment

27 posts in this topic

Hello! I would like to know what people on self-actualisation journey are doing in their free times for entertainment, relaxation, letting the mind just relax and go loose (?) for a bit, when you guys are not doing self-improvement work.

Or what is a better and smarter way to entertain yourself which helps develop you?  

I listen to music and I practice playing the piano. Gives me so much dopamine. ;) 

Computer games, music, web browsing, walking with music, playing guitar or bass or piano or drums, chatting with my 2 best friends on Skype. Sometimes I go to metal concerts (alone). Pretty crappy, but true ¬¬

Hot shower! :D (25 minutes) but do it at night because you will be sleepy as well.

I'm going to listen to some chillstep to wind down and relax... ^_^

Reading. Specially fiction-fantasy :D

And also watching Conan Videos on Youtube :)

I ride motorcycle whenever weather conditions allow :)

Just me and my 2-wheeled girlfriend, exploring the roads away from the main roads.

While driving I have to concentrate on the world around me, especially the traffic, and it helps me to loose the focus of everything I have to deal with during regular work life.

I'm in a little different phase of my life, so I do nothing at all except this kind of self-improvement work. In my free time my work only gets harder. So yeah, I prefer more the non-free time.

I like coloring books for adults! Dont know if you ever heard of it but give it a try :)

9 hours ago, Thiri said:

Hello! I would like to know what people on self-actualisation journey are doing in their free times for entertainment, relaxation, letting the mind just relax and go loose (?) for a bit, when you guys are not doing self-improvement work.

Or what is a better and smarter way to entertain yourself which helps develop you?  

I think you should try many different things to find the things that best help you relax your mind. For me there have been two important factors when choosing these things - if it helps me "zone out" (for me a TV show I don't have to really pay attention to) or if it forces my mind to focus on one immediate thing (like reading fiction). Either of these results, in my experience, leads to a relaxed mind. But what produces these results for you will require some search and experimentation.

I write music (like, all the time lol) and listen to audiobooks, especially autobiographies. They help keeps my thoughts in perspective.

Sometimes, I watch mindless TV shows from my iTunes. Forgive me, Leo-sensei!

I'm not sure if your asking how to "Passively Relax" in a good way but truth is that doesn't exist.

Strive to always be aware and that should not be hard work, only in the beginning and even while doing menial tasks at work etc it should become your natural state.

If you want to relax you can sit and listen to music in a sort of "meditation" or go out in to the forest (or elsewhere) and just take everything in and be aware of it, taking it all in.
You gonna have that battle in your mind all day long, always be aware of it, not only when you meditate but every second of the day.

For anyone who like watching movies & tv shows or play video games or read books or listen to music or hell, anything at all I recommend checking my symbolism thread out. Read it through once and keep it in mind and remember this quote by David Lynch (paraphrased):
"A movie is like a dream and in a dream every character is actually the dreamer, it is the same with movies where everything is a part of you."
http://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/263-symbolism-the-truth-of-everything-reflected-in-everything/

Walking and shoot photos, talking with roommates, web browsing, smoking marijuana and sometimes playing videogames.

Zazen, skateboard/longboarding, walking with the dog, Aikido, Yoga, Reading, I will also do some basic sewing and stitching. I just finished my new zabuton (big square pad) for meditation.  If you are watching tv; I would just say set a pure intention for what you might gain from watching tv whatever that may be.

@Keyblade Viking - Tobias is on point! I couldn't agree more.  A deepening experience I have had within the past year came after reading Osho's Mindfulness for the Modern Era  where he really pushes this point of adopting a meditative mindset regarding EVERY aspect of life.  15 minutes here and an hour there doesn't really stand a chance against the complex tapestry that is being woven together before you.   

Hanging out and cooking with my boyfriend and also eating junk food. 

Everything else I do is self-development related.

Used to write songs, now play some classical guitar and enjoy learning what other people on the road to liberation have written.

Watch inspiring, or "charming" movies occasionally. 

Tinker around with programming of various sorts - used to do serious stuff for Credit Union and Engineering group - now just enjoy creating some simple stuff.

Always watching thought and the watcher ...

joy :)

I think that physical exercises at moderate intensity  are great to increase the energy level.

Watching some news on tv helps alot and it's very good to keep up the information.

Playing some games for less than 20 minutes a day is also okay from my point of view.

I like to draw, or sculpt, or paint or,.... Art, I like to art. I usualy listen to music or PD material while I'm arting. I also enjoy learning things. For instance, online marketing and demonology are the areas I'm studying when I have the chance.

I work a lot of fine motor skills: butterfly knife tricks, playing osu!, practicing liquid(dance style). I also read a lot of novels and manga to get ideas for my own writing. 

21 hours ago, Berk said:

I'm in a little different phase of my life, so I do nothing at all except this kind of self-improvement work. In my free time my work only gets harder. So yeah, I prefer more the non-free time.

This. I have no free time. My free time is being at the gym and meditating and sleeping, the rest is working time! Reading, learning, personal development baby!