PetarKa

Redefining Self-Actualization

10 posts in this topic

From the start I have found the term 'self-actualization' and the 'upward pyramid of needs' deficient. Let me explain.

Both terms indicate that this process of 'actualization' is obligatory. It is what you NEED to be doing with your life. It is competitive - the 'best stuff' is at the TOP of the pyramid. Like climbing a mountain. These terms (at least for me) create a pressure to reach the top - otherwise you won't be happy or satisfied. Furthermore, the 'self' in 'self-actualization' implies focusing on the self only, which creates a dualism of life from the start. In the later stages of the model it becomes irrelevant whether you are actualizing 'the self' or 'the life'.

I suggest an alternative term: "expansion / exploration of life-depth" (not the best name, if someone has an alternative, please share it) and instead of an upward pyramid a "downward pyramid of needs". The most superficial needs will be at the top and everyone is familiar with them. Like a lake where anyone can see the surface, but as you look down, it becomes more difficult to discern what's at the bottom. It is a process of exploration, rather than a process of achievement. It also accurately describes the basic needs as more shallow and the more developed needs as deeper and richer.

Hope to hear your ideas.

I don't see the point to it. Self actualisation is one rung on the ladder of elevated consciousness.

Yes, it is a Self focus, as opposed to ego focus. Then you self transcend, and the Self falls away as well.

4 minutes ago, PetarKa said:

Both terms indicate that this process of 'actualization' is obligatory.

It is obligatory, but the process does not need to be rushed. You can climb at your own pace.

5 minutes ago, PetarKa said:

Furthermore, the 'self' in 'self-actualization' implies focusing on the self only, which creates a dualism of life from the start.

There is nothing but the Self, so the Self has nothing else to focus on. 

Don't focus too much on the wording or the concepts. In the end, you have to see beyond them.

Self-Actualization or Expansion are just words without essence if you don't understand their true meaning.  

If you really want to understand what self-actualization means you should read Maslow's book on it: Toward A Psychology Of Being.

Most people use that term without any idea what it means. Maslow used it to mean very specific things.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

which is why you have a historic „maslow‘s self actualization“ and general „self actualization“ in sense of an actualized, expanded, adapted and modernized understanding of the term „self-actualization“.

... there is probably an audio book... 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

4 hours ago, PetarKa said:

From the start I have found the term 'self-actualization' and the 'upward pyramid of needs' deficient. Let me explain.

Both terms indicate that this process of 'actualization' is obligatory. It is what you NEED to be doing with your life. It is competitive - the 'best stuff' is at the TOP of the pyramid. Like climbing a mountain. These terms (at least for me) create a pressure to reach the top - otherwise you won't be happy or satisfied. Furthermore, the 'self' in 'self-actualization' implies focusing on the self only, which creates a dualism of life from the start. In the later stages of the model it becomes irrelevant whether you are actualizing 'the self' or 'the life'.

I suggest an alternative term: "expansion / exploration of life-depth" (not the best name, if someone has an alternative, please share it) and instead of an upward pyramid a "downward pyramid of needs". The most superficial needs will be at the top and everyone is familiar with them. Like a lake where anyone can see the surface, but as you look down, it becomes more difficult to discern what's at the bottom. It is a process of exploration, rather than a process of achievement. It also accurately describes the basic needs as more shallow and the more developed needs as deeper and richer.

Hope to hear your ideas.

You make some great points and having had these same realizations in myself, and seeing them in others I've worked with or talked to, has changed radically changed the way in which I talk about this stuff.  The only point I'd be careful with is the notion of shallow, since it can put a value judgement on Life/Absolute that isn't so. 

I use the term self actualisation as synonymous almost with terms from other models, which i line up in a similar way to the universal metamodel, as shown on medium.com.

So it is Self from Jung, shiny baby from Pod'lair, 5th circuit from 8 circuits of consciousness, and it is probably green in SD, but is closer to the stage the individualist, from a similar model.

So i do mean it as Maslow meant it, but only somewhat, because i am focusing on other models simultaneously.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:20 PM, JosephKnecht said:

It is obligatory, but the process does not need to be rushed. You can climb at your own pace.

Why is it obligatory? If you teach a person who is new to these ideas that it is obligatory, I find that the person will fall into a trap - a trap of moralization and Stage Blue thinking. I can confirm this from my own experience - when I started watching Actualized.org I felt forced to do this and ended up doing the practices in superficial way. I wanted just to put a check-mark on them and failed to grasp the depth of the practices.

I can understand saying that this process is healthy / deep / profound / satisfying. But that it is mandatory - I strongly disagree. Some people will refuse (fully consciously) this path altogether and go about their way of life. Whether they'll be satisfied afterward is another question.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:20 PM, JosephKnecht said:

Don't focus too much on the wording or the concepts. In the end, you have to see beyond them.

I agree. They are just labels. But they are also labels which are the whole foundation of this whole endeavor, labels which are used constantly as part of this process. For me it has been helpful to re-frame the concepts. Perhaps they resonate with me more. For others it might be no big deal. Though my hope is that some people will be inspired to adapt the model according to their own experience in a more helpful way. It's also good to ask questions like this and not blindly adopt a model. Maslow himself wrote that his hope is for other people to further develop this model into a more rich, holistic one.

@PetarKa self actualisation is a universal journey. Don't confuse it with the manufactured form of self actualisation that you see on this site. (I'm not taking a stab at the site there). It's mandatory to evolve your consciousness, this will continue into the spirit world. But whether you choose to do meditation exercises and so on is up to you.

Edited by Artsu