Nak Khid

Cases against democracy

36 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

@Nak Khid And what about University students that are living on student loans or work study that pay no income tax? Would you deny them the right to vote? What about the tens of millions of Americans that have lost their jobs due to the mishandling of the Coronavirus that are no longer paying income tax? That is a huge portion of the American workforce and they may want to vote against a president who is mishandling the situation. And they may not be able to pass a civics test about congressional oversight of the executive branch on emolument issues? Yet does this really matter?. . . And what about unemployed people in Portland, Oregon that want to vote against a president invoking fascist military control into their city. They want to vote for a president that will increase job opportunities so they can get employment. And how about all they people that are tirelessly working for slave wages and make so little money from their full-time job (or three part time jobs) that they don’t qualify to pay taxes? . . . And of there are wealthy people that avoid paying taxing through legal loopholes. . . 

Good questions, this is not what I want. However we are looking at this hypothetical. 
Hypothetically students,  no, they  wouldn't be able to vote 

As for the unemployed they would be allowed to vote if they had worked a certain amount of time in say a 3-5 year time period before the present and allowances would be made for people in special circumstances, recovering from a serious accident etc 

36 minutes ago, Nak Khid said:

Hypothetically students,  no, they  wouldn't be able to vote 

These students are not hypothetical. There are actual students living off their parents, student loans and/or work study that don’t pay income tax. I would disagree in denying them the right to vote.

36 minutes ago, Nak Khid said:

As for the unemployed they would be allowed to vote if they had worked a certain amount of time in say a 3-5 year time period before the present and allowances would be made for people in special circumstances, recovering from a serious accident etc 

I can see the value of having a minimal understanding of how politics work for someone to vote. However, that can come at a cost of disenfranchising people, taking away their voice and dissolving their concerns. For example, imagine a person that is homeless and has been treated harshly by police. A social worker educates this person about how important there is a grassroots movement trying to shift police funds toward social workers to better help people that are homeless and have mental illness. This resonates with the person and they want to vote for a candidate that supports this social program. That is the major issue in their life. . . How is this different than a single issue conservative that will only vote on pro-life? Why should the single issue pro-life voter be given a voice, while the single issue homeless person gets silenced?

7 hours ago, lmfao said:

Sounds a bit classist but sure

Sounds biased against stay at home moms and poor people. 

As nice as an idea as having philosopher kings sounds, you can't impose your will on a people who are mostly resistant to what you want. If I'm some stage yellow ruler of some stage red place I can't just impose my personal values on everyone, even if my values are more developed. It doesn't work. 

It works if people accept that that's how it works.

The government could get rid of democracy, but the people wouldn't accept that.

Democracy is probably prevalent because the general population prefers it over other forms, so things drift in that direction. I think that's partly the basis for communism?

9 hours ago, roar said:

@Epikur

I suggest you go back to school.  Start from the beginning. 

I guess I formulated it wrong. I meant North Europe. Sweden, Finland and so on. They have nice standards but against China they are as powerful as ants. 

2 hours ago, Epikur said:

They have nice standards but against China they are as powerful as ants. 

Lol

This is against America. 

Stop wasting money on nukes... 

On 7/17/2020 at 11:09 AM, Epikur said:

Northern countries have basically no saying in world politics. Germany goes with whoever has more power.

Germany has huge amounts of influence over the eu and eu over world.. 

51 minutes ago, Opo said:

Germany has huge amounts of influence over the eu and eu over world.. 

Not really. Germany has no respected army lately. You can not have real influence without it. You are prone to Stockholm Syndrome without it.

In Libya and Syria you see how Europe was without influence.  Europe lived in the shadow of the US. Without the US it is naked.

Pentagon Says Turkey Sent 3,500 Syrian Fighters To Back Libyan Government

https://www.rferl.org/a/pentagon-turkey-3-500-syrian-fighters-libya-russia/30734486.html

Germany, France and Italy threatening sanctions against foreign interference in Libya

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/18/germany-france-and-italy-threatening-sanctions-against-foreign-interference-in-libya

1 hour ago, Epikur said:

Germany has no respected army lately. You can not have real influence without it. 

Lol. Diplomacy... 

Trump has your approach. Look at his results. 

1 hour ago, Epikur said:

You are prone to Stockholm Syndrome without it.

Elaborate. 

18 minutes ago, Opo said:

Lol. Diplomacy... 

Trump has your approach. Look at his results. 

No he does not. He is not a war hawk. Hillary would have taken over Syria and Libya.

15 minutes ago, Opo said:

Elaborate. 

If you are weak you have to join the stronger party. Then sometimes an affection happens. It's called Stockholm Syndrom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

@Opo Interesting how the USA, EU and Chinese flags all have stars on them. Something about that symbol has universal appeal

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

8 hours ago, Epikur said:

No he does not. He is not a war hawk. Hillary would have taken over Syria and Libya.

Prove it.

8 hours ago, Epikur said:

If you are weak you have to join the stronger party. Then sometimes an affection happens. It's called Stockholm Syndrom

Everyone has to team up with someone else. No one is strong enough to stand alone and if you are teamed up with someone no shit you will develop an affection for them. I don't understand what are you trying to say with it? 

6 minutes ago, Opo said:

Prove it.

Everyone has to team up with someone else. No one is strong enough to stand alone and if you are teamed up with someone no shit you will develop an affection for them. I don't understand what are you trying to say with it? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/magazine/how-hillary-clinton-became-a-hawk.html

hint: stockholm syndrom is not a good thing in general

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Edited by Epikur

31 minutes ago, Epikur said:

Dont the republicans have the majority of the senate? Why are you conveniently ignoring them and how does this prove your point about Hillary. If you're gonna jump the ship on everything you say we shouldnt do this. 

Lol nice elaboration on the stockholm syndrome...

Hint: Jimmy's a fool ... 

Edited by Opo

@Epikur what i meant by saying you have the same approach as Trump is he uses force to get what he wants that works in the short-term but in the long-term cooperation wins out.