Raphael

Strong Determination Sitting

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently started to change my meditation habit and tried the strong determination setting technique. I used to meditate for 1 hour every day and found this technique much more powerful. I couldn't stay for 1 hour, the maximum that I did was 35 minutes.

Now I just have one question: When Leo said to not move at all during the session, is it really literally? Can I swallow my saliva or should I drop it on the floor? Can I blink? Should my entire body be completely like a stone without any tremor?

2 hours ago, Raphael said:

Hello,

I recently started to change my meditation habit and tried the strong determination setting technique. I used to meditate for 1 hour every day and found this technique much more powerful. I couldn't stay for 1 hour, the maximum that I did was 35 minutes.

Now I just have one question: When Leo said to not move at all during the session, is it really literally? Can I swallow my saliva or should I drop it on the floor? Can I blink? Should my entire body be completely like a stone without any tremor?

Move as little as possible, accept physical pain. If you swallow saliva naturally, let it happen. The main point is just not to move your limbs intentionally, don't overthink this :) you can gently adjust you posture, as in if you start with a straight posture and you slough a bit, straighten yourself gently. Focus on the length of the sitting, the intensity is the main point. 

3 hours ago, Raphael said:

: When Leo said to not move at all during the session, is it really literally? Can I swallow my saliva or should I drop it on the floor? Can I blink? Should my entire body be completely like a stone without any tremor?

Close your eyes, and let it go. There is no body. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHI1aPUxs4s

"Strong Determination" Meditation Sits ~ Shinzen Young

Can I swallow my saliva

yes  

Should my entire body be completely like a stone without any tremor?

yes 

Can I blink? 

yes 

but there is another mediation technique gazing, which is a for of concentration meditation and concentration meditation is different.
Gazing does not always include forcing the eyes to stay open but that is one method.   You should try with that and without. 
If you do it including blinking you can do it much longer but it is less concentrated.  

https://liveanddare.com/trataka/

Thank you guys.

@Nak Khid I actually close my eyes during my sessions, so blinking is not an issue. Currently, the main issue that I'm experiencing is physical pain notably in my legs because I sit in a lotus position and my body is very rigid.

10 hours ago, Raphael said:

Thank you guys.

@Nak Khid I actually close my eyes during my sessions, so blinking is not an issue. Currently, the main issue that I'm experiencing is physical pain notably in my legs because I sit in a lotus position and my body is very rigid.

you said "can I blink?" 

Anyway keep practicing your lotus position.  Half lotus is easier 

The-Burmese-Position.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

https://stylesatlife.com/articles/zen-meditation/

This Burmese position is even easier and is fine also

I recommend doing the strong determination  in all positions including in a chair.    
Set a timer alarm that will go off and then stop so after you meet the required time you can continue if you feel like it 
and not have to move to turn the alarm off. 
So when you have pain in your legs you are also training to deal with the pain (and stop and move around if you are starting to hurt yourself) 
Then at a different sitting do it in a chair or stool (your back must not touch the back of the stool)
so this way you can do it much longer,  you won't have to worry about your legs.   But you can see the convenience of not using a chair if you are outside. 
The meditation is not supposed to be completely comfortable but also not all a physical endurance test of the body. 

I would also try four times in a row the zen method where your eyes are open halfway or less. 
The head is down very slightly and your line of sight is going down 45 degrees. The view can be blurry and not focused on anything.
Face a wall a few feet away

You might try this and feel like "this doesn't feel right, it's deeper if I close my eyes" That is just clinging to habit.  If you do it this way and stick to it that feeling will go away. In this type of string determination meditation you are not supposed to be tranquilized and peaceful. 
You are supposed to be dealing with your self.    The peace and tranquility will also come.
Take note of it in the mind and don't cling to it. Don't reject it either. Let it rise and fall like everything else. 

@Nak Khid Yes, I know, that's in a case if I want to meditate with the eyes open. Thank for the other advices by the way.

On 05/07/2020 at 2:23 AM, Raphael said:

Hello,

Fundamentally, the purpose with this practise is to still your entire being. Not literally make your entire body inoperable. Still yourself in such a way you are relaxed and present. Strong determination sitting should not be about resisting the bodily functions that naturally occur but to allow your self to rest in the present moment. Rest as though your body was asleep.

The word “rest” is important. I’ve found approaching long sits in this way allows them to be endured for much longer periods with more ease. Consciousness then illuminates much clearer.

@Raphael I'm just gonna mostly repeat what @Nak Khid said in case it makes you feel more certain. I asked the same question you did before haha.

Yeah you can swallow saliva. You can blink. Maybe your body will involuntarily spasm, but that's a rare event for most people. So yeah, no movement with a straight back is the key. 

And also about the saliva thing. If you keep your tongue raised touching the roof of your mouth then you'll have to swallow less. Tip of your tongue touching the back of your upper teeth. Or touching a bit a higher if you want. Some people create a slight suction effect between the rest of their tongue and the roof of their mouth

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.