IJB063

MBTI is Astrology for Smart People

44 posts in this topic

Looking at the forum I’m seeing a lot MBTI stuff and I just wanted to say MBTI is astrology for smart people, the reasons it’s appealing is the same reason astrology is. It’s entertainment not science or anything that should be carved into a stone tablet. You know why it’s appealing, because whatever answer you get you’re just a cool guy at the end of it. You’re never gonna come back after taking the highly scientific five minute MBTI test and get the result “you’re a dickhead”. You know why, that would undermine whoever runs that site business. Who I’m sure makes millions from it. But there is the fact that you may be incredibly mediocre or in fact a dickhead, those people exist and are arguably in the majority.

MBTI is a business, and it is not scientific, I remember reading that the average half life on an MBTI test is six weeks, six weeks, what does that say, the fact you can take the same test different times and get different results. If you have a result now, just wait a little over a month and you’ll probably have another. 

Also personality is not static it is highly fluid, you can change, if you’re more introverted you can in fact become more extroverted, if you’re more of a person lost in thought you can become more of a person in touch with your emotions. You aren’t a fixed thing. So don’t take your result seriously.

Also fuck Carl Jung, can we abandon these ancient fucks, we now have the internet and exist in the 21st century, why do we elevate such antiquated people. Yes he had some interesting things to say, but he also had a lot of incredible goofy things to say as well, there are more interesting and intelligent people alive to day than Jung.

If you want to get a better understanding of your personality take the big 5, I know it’s not as fun but is has more of a scientific real basis, not a pseudoscienctific one like MBTI, and also if youre an innovative guy, break down the possible results into archetypes and personality’s like that book lover, warrior, king etc... and make some money from suckers who enjoy labelling themselves and comparing themselves with others, maybe you to could make the next MBTI and roll in that cash. 

Anyways godbless

Personality type is not completely fluid. You will have same eye movement type for a whole life. MBTI is simplified version of Socionics to make it more useful for business purposes. MBTI is just a test. Disciptions of types are very crude and assume you use only 2 main functions which is untrue.

The problem with big five is that it's based on quantity and it doesn't explain "why?". You will get much more by understanding interplay of cognitive functions in your personality.

@Username

6 minutes ago, Username said:

Personality type is not completely fluid. You will have same eye movement type for a whole life. MBTI is simplified version of Socionics to make it more useful for business purposes. MBTI is just a test. Disciptions of types are very crude and assume you use only 2 main functions which is untrue.

The problem with big five is that it's based on quantity and it doesn't explain "why?". You will get much more by understanding interplay of cognitive functions in your personality.

What does eye movement have to do with your personality?

I never said completely fluid, but it’s more fluid than solid 

“Disciptions of types are very crude and assume you use only 2 main functions which is untrue.“

I agree with that

8 minutes ago, Username said:

You can research why, the job of the test is to tell you what you are not why you are what you are. That you can research or contemplate yourself, it’s not going to spoon feed you. 

Interplay of cognitive functions, yes I agree with this but it MBTI does a substandard pseudoscientific job at this.

@Username

I attempted to watch that video but that woman might as well be talking Chinese, it makes no sense to me

No, astrology is astrology for smart people :P You should go to a certified astrologist and see what they say about you. You’ll be surprised.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

@Apparition of Jack

19 minutes ago, Apparition of Jack said:

No, astrology is astrology for smart people :P You should go to a certified astrologist and see what they say about you. You’ll be surprised.

Theyll probably just huff a bunch of smoke up my arse

@IJB063 You're making a lot of assumptions, you might want to start questioning their validity, just saying.

Wrong, these are the beliefs intuition gets you with out actual depth in the subject. There is evidence of personalty types found in DNA, its born. The version of mbti you've been exposed to is popular culture bullshit, a better version is called "Objective Typings", that expands mbti to 512 types. Its highly accurate. Also mbti is one map of many to understanding human behavior. All the maps can be merged/interconnected to produce an incredibly  accurate model. For the other maps look into integral theory. 

People are not unique. The patterns are absolutely there you just need to put the work in to see them.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral

12 minutes ago, integral said:

Wrong, these are the beliefs intuition gets you with out actual depth in the subject. There is evidence of personalty types found in DNA, its born. The version of mbti you've been exposed to is popular culture bullshit, a better version is called "Objective Typings", that expands mbti to 512 types. Its highly accurate. Also mbti is one map of many to understanding human behavior. All the maps can be merged/interconnected to produce an incredibly  accurate model. For the other maps look into integral theory. 

People are not unique. The patterns are absolutely there you just need to put the work in to see them.

I’ll look into objective typings 

Can you link some resources to this, also is there some test or way to firgure out your 512 type?

I agree, people aren’t unique and we can definitely categorise them, my point is that MBTI is a shit pop culture way of doing so that is popular for the same reason astrology is, it’s chick crack, chick crack shouldn’t be taken seriously.

I have a question, why is there no dark tyraid to MBTI?

@IJB063 I agree that the MBTI we see in popular culture cant be taken seriously. The testing is pretty bad, the popular 16personalities test everyone takes mistypes most of the time. This is the better system https://www.objectivepersonality.com/objective-personality-system. There is no good test right now, the only 2 paths is to learn the subject, integrate it and type your self, The other is to pay someone with expertise to type you. 

A better testing system. https://www.objectivepersonality.com/opt-100

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral The best test would be to look over all the types, and identify which one you resonate most with...if you're honest. Many of the questions from the test were way to black, white, and linear to get any real result from it. But you know what you are like, and most likely can find your type unless your ego tries to take control.

@CultivateLove

Np

@fridjonk

No, the point is that MBTI is stupid and there aren’t only 16 types of person, and it’s designed as a business not an accurate assessment of people, you can identify with one type more than another that does not mean it is accurate or you’re stuck as that thing

@IJB063 Yes I agree, some can not be stamped as one type. But there is a reason this test is so popular. People really resonate with it. It doesn't mean you're stuck with the same one forever, of course it changes over time, as do people. 

@fridjonk

1 minute ago, fridjonk said:

@IJB063 Yes I agree, some can not be stamped as one type. But there is a reason this test is so popular. People really resonate with it. It doesn't mean you're stuck with the same one forever, of course it changes over time, as do people. 

People resonate with a lot of bullshit

e.g. Astrology

Doesn’t mean it’s true, it just appeals to some base “I’m this” impulse

Also I think a lot of people have the misconception that they are stuck as there type, and if you’re type can so easily change it’s useless really to identify and resonate with it

1 minute ago, IJB063 said:

Also I think a lot of people have the misconception that they are stuck as there type, and if you’re type can so easily change it’s useless really to identify and resonate with it

No, because there is no end destination you're trying to reach. It's the same with spiral dynamics, it can be helpful to know your color so you can work out your problems and shadows in a systematic manner. That doesn't mean it's useless to identify that you're at stage blue just because in 2 years you might be at orange; so its to help you evolve. 

But I definitely see what you're saying. Most of the youtube videos I've seen are worshiping this as if it's concrete written in the stars. The mainstream will always find ways to change it into something which suits their agenda. And I also find this MBTI to be way too simplistic and linear as I said. If you're at stage yellow or above it's really hard to answer the questions the test gives you as it's to right or left. 

@fridjonk

I agree with everything you said, you missed the point I’m trying to make, it’s this 

Why build your identity around something that is constantly changing

Right now you might be something, and you can work to change that but it shouldn’t be set in stone