The Don

Being Natural In Front Of A Camera

9 posts in this topic

Hi.

I find it hard to talk in front of a camera. It doesn't feel natural and I don't understand why...

In the back of my mind, it feels like something's bothering me.

How many of you tried to make an uncut video? Did it work?

How do you feel when you talk freely in from of a camera?

Me on the road less traveled.

You probably mean by unatural, that you don't feel confident enough to speak like you would for example with a person you know really good (best friend for example with who you can be yourself)

If that's the case, well if you're starting something new - you probably suck at it for now (and its perfectly normal), and only by mastering it you can become confident enough in how you're doing it.

Look at Leo's older videos, he also doesn't appear 'natural' or confident like these days.. in fact take any youtuber/actor who is experienced today, and compare todays videos with the old ones.

Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll get what you want.

Edited by meow_meow

Im also amateur with camera and stuff! I will give you a couple reasons why I had this negative feeling... I hope it helps ;) 

It doesn't feel natural because you can't get into flow and be authentic. 

You can't get into flow because: 

• Its the beginning of your mastery, so be patient, it takes time ! 
  • You wan't your videos to be perfect like Leos videos are, this gives you inspiration but creates a lot of pressure because you are focused on what you want to fix and the finished project , instead of what you want to talk about . It robs your focus and flow 
  • You have insecurities about what people will say about your work. That is your own projection . Robs your energy, focus and flow
  • I usually talk what ever comes to my mind, then I take notes of the stuff I like, and then repeat it until I get it right. Until it feels authentic . 

I don't know if you know about the process of mastery, but like the guy above said, if you wait and try to be perfect it will rob you! I go with a mindset, I know it will not be like I want it to, but I will enjoy the process until i get it ! Leo has a video on Perfectionsm! Check it out! Deep stuff! 

Try to dig and see from where is this negative feeling coming from! Do a Pre-Morthem technique on your channel or your life :P  It helps clear out a lot of pressure! Leo has a video on it, check it out :P

Try to be authentic as possible! Imo this is the most important thing you can do! This is how you get into flow, and this is how you grow yourself and your channel ! 

Flow is something that can easily be manipulated ! 

Enjoy this masterpiece  ! 

On 5/2/2020 at 11:00 PM, meow_meow said:

Thank you for advice. I'll keep practicing. I still have some issues that I need to solve.

I don't know how to be myself although I'm trying hard. I still have social anxiety. I have trauma that I need to solve.

Maybe the trauma I have and my ADHD problem is keeping me from realizing my potential.

On 5/3/2020 at 0:10 AM, EddieEddie1995 said:

Try to dig and see from where is this negative feeling coming from! Do a Pre-Morthem technique on your channel or your life :P  It helps clear out a lot of pressure! Leo has a video on it, check it out

Could you send me @Leo Gura's video about this? Thank you!

On 5/3/2020 at 5:00 AM, meow_meow said:

You probably mean by unatural, that you don't feel confident enough to speak like you would for example with a person you know really good (best friend for example with who you can be yourself)

If that's the case, well if you're starting something new - you probably suck at it for now (and its perfectly normal), and only by mastering it you can become confident enough in how you're doing it.

Look at Leo's older videos, he also doesn't appear 'natural' or confident like these days.. in fact take any youtuber/actor who is experienced today, and compare todays videos with the old ones.

This is very true. Look at any big Youtuber's channel and scroll way down to their first videos. Almost always you'll see some shitty low quality videos that would normally never get views but then you see the videos evolve over time as they hone their craft. Leo especially. I'm in the same boat as you

@The Don

I can relate to this

Whenever I know a camera is on me I’m become self conscious and get inside my own head

The best way I assume to fix that is just by being in front on a lot of camera and by trying not to overthink

Eventually it’ll just be like whitenoise and you won’t even notice it’s there

It takes quite a bit of practice to get there for sure. I am working on it myself and it is slowly getting. You should consider joining a public speaking group like toast masters to get in a good amount of practice. That or put yourself in more situations where you can practice that skill. It will all come down to that amount of times you do it really.