The Don

Your Microbiome Is Very Important When It Comes To The Immune System

18 posts in this topic

Hi.

I recently found this video on YouTube, a video related to the importance of your microbiome in immune system functioning.

If you have health problems, the first thing you should do is restore your microbiome; to make it powerful again. If you don't know what the microbiome is, read this. A short description of the microbiome would mean a system made of healthy gut bacteria that helps your body, including your immune system.

If you want to have a healthy microbiome, you need to eat only healthy foods. You should give up on refined carbohydrates, including bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and sugars. You should eat more healthy fats like butter. I'm specifically saying butter because it contains butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid that provides fuel for the cells of our gut lining, supports immune system functions of the colon wall and protects against certain diseases of the digestive tract.

I can guarantee that people who give up unhealthy foods will feel a lot better. When it comes to food we should know that food is medicine.

Here's a quote by Hippocrates: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”

Another one by Hippocrates: "If you want to heal somebody, ask him if he's willing to give up the things that brought him in this situation."

A healthy lifestyle is necessary.

Me on the road less traveled.

6 hours ago, The Don said:

You should eat more healthy fats like butter

Not sure if I would classify butter as "healthy fat". SCFA are easily obtainable from fibre-rich foods like legumes. The gut bacteria process the non-soluble fibre and create the short-chain fatty acids. Eating too much butter or other heavy sources of saturated fats can actually have a quite damaging effect on your microbiome. Most people eat too much of Saturated fats as it is. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

17 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Not sure if I would classify butter as "healthy fat".

Humans need more fat.

Your brain is made of 60% fat.

The human mammal milk contains over 50% fat.

Please, read more about the ketogenic diet.

It can change your life for the better. And not only your life but your health too; in a positive way.

Edited by The Don

Me on the road less traveled.

1 hour ago, The Don said:

Humans need more fat.

Your made is made of 60% fat.

It can change your life for the better. And not only your life but your health too; in a positive way.

I don't think he is slamming fat itself but the fact there are better fat sources than butter. I don't think butter is bad (especially if you have a high metabolism) but you can upgrade the nutritional quality by replacing it with organic ghee. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

1 hour ago, The Don said:

For some people it's great. For some it isn't. For some it's great for some time and then it isn't.

There's no one size fit for all. Yes read the scientifique literature but more importantly listen to your body. What does it want right now? Does it want to fast. Does it want a salad, a mango, or big grass fed steak?

The biggest concern that I have is not about which food is right or wrong but what is the quality of said food. Some vegans here will think that meat isn't healthy but there's a big difference between commercially raised and wild animal that you go hunt yourself. Same for the way veggies are grown, etc.

Edited by Rigel

Sailing on the ceiling 

13 hours ago, The Don said:

Humans need more fat.

Your made is made of 60% fat.

I assume you meant to say Your "brain"? Yes, it is, it is made mostly fats: docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)  a 22 carbon-chain fatty acid with 5 double bonds and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) a 20 carbon chain fatty acid with 5 double bonds. Butyric acid a short chain (4 carbons) fatty acids that is fully saturated.  They are "fats" but of completely different molecular structure and property. 

It is important to distinguish between saturated and unsaturated types of fats and than between length of chain and bond saturation. 

I am not bashing on ketogenic diet. It can be the only way for people with epilepsy and schizophrenia but an unmanaged ketogenic diet is a cardiovascular disaster. I've seen keto followers eat gigantic chunks of butter claiming they are doing a healthy thing. Stripping  human diet of fruits, legumes and most vegetables and calling is healthy is a very peculiar thing. 

BTW human milk is 3-5% fat and around 1% proteins and 8% carbohydrates including Human Milk Oligosacharides. Most of the fats are medium - to - long-chain fatty acids. If there are any saturated fats in maternal milk it will be very tiny amounts. The rest of the consistency is water filled with immunoglobulins and growth factors to create the newborns adaptive immunity. Careful where you source your facts

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569  Brilliantly said!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 4/22/2020 at 5:17 PM, Michael569 said:

I am not bashing on ketogenic diet. It can be the only way for people with epilepsy and schizophrenia but an unmanaged ketogenic diet is a cardiovascular disaster. I've seen keto followers eat gigantic chunks of butter claiming they are doing a healthy thing. Stripping  human diet of fruits, legumes and most vegetables and calling is healthy is a very peculiar thing. 

@Michael569when it comes to heart disease saturated fat intake is mostly irrelevant. It's baseline inflammation and endothelial damage that's the problem, cholesterol comes to the site of the damage to heal things. If you were an alien in a spaceship studying car crashes and always saw ambulances and police cars wherever there were car crashes you might think ambulances and police cars caused car crashes but oh how wrong you'd be.

The humans who exist today evolved in a situation with very little fruit and vegetable material in our diets, every plant food you see in the grocery store has been bred into existence in recent history since the last ice age, which was the most significant selective pressure on our species. So to say that stripping the diet of these foods is peculiar, is peculiar. What's really peculiar is to eat them.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

15 hours ago, Deepak sadhwani said:

i have been following  keto diet from last 2 years and it really  reduced inflammation  in my body, there is book in leo's book list in health section  I'll  not mention  the name but in that also mentioned  about saturated  fat and importance  of low carb, saturated fat is far more safe then omega 6.

All types of fats are somewhat important. We need omega 3s, omega 6s, some saturated fats and some monounsaturated fats. The high-fat diet have only been around for a short time and we do not have the long-term data on what they do. The ketogenic diet is an elimination diet designed to mask symptoms of ongoing issues such as insulin resistance. Keto can help people with schizophrenia but that doesn't mean it is a healing diet. 

If someone eats carbohydrates and crashes completely while feeling fine on keto there is an underlying issue that has not been addressed. Keto diets work fine in short terms but eating so much animal protein and saturated fats will become a metabolic disaster. 

@Deepak sadhwani tempting conclusion but when you break it down: 

1. all subjects were obese assuming coming from typical junk diet , any controlled protocol will make you lose weight. Once anyone stops eating junk their lipid profile and blood sugar will absolutely improve. Vegan diet, paleo diet and carnivore diet designed in an experimental setting would produce this

2. everyone was taking high-strength multi formula + siberian ginseng (why would they need an adaptogen?)

3. This was a therapeutic-keto diet, meaning this was designed by a dietitian, this included lots of nuts, seeds, healthy plant fats and fish. Even greens, and low GI salads...this is the "good keto". Most people I know that follow "bad keto" eat a lot of fried meat meat and burgers, no fruits, no vegetables, no fish and no legumes. They never make it into ketosis because they keep eating carbohydrates and just end up riding insulin. This is what I mean by metabolic disaster. 

4. the study was 24 weeks long which is 6 month. Long terms is 15 years. There are currently no systematic reviews of ketogenic diets because all the older studies only focus on epilepsy. This is my main concern with keto, yes it works in shorter term because it eliminates a lot of junk but where is the evidence between ketogenic diet not accelerating atherosclerosis in 20 years...we just don't have that data. The long-terms studies we have on saturated fats are not as gentle and there is some significant correlation starting to come up once you stop reading individual studies but start focusing on systemic reviews and meta-analysis which pool all available studies. 

5. serum glucose is not a reliable marker of long term blood sugar balance. Once you stop eating carbohydrates your insulin naturally declines because it is simply not needed anymore since liver is now making the ketones with help of glucagon and cortisol. You need to use HOMOiR and HbA1c for long-term information on glucose management which they didn't. 

Some of the data we have (unfortunately only on rats) shows that high fat diets completely dysregulate insulin sensitivity and once glucose was reintroduced they could not mount sufficient insulin response. 

I believe that it works well for you, it does for a lot of people because they eliminated gluten and lots of problematic foods which may have as well stopped their autoimmunity. Hope you can make it work in the long term :)

EDIT + high fat diet are horrible for your prostate as a guy. Menwith the highest consumption of fats (Over 40% calori intake I think)  have drastically increased risk of their prostate growing earlier and more rapidly

Edited by Michael569

i think the confusion centers around the fact that low fat plant based diets successfully reverse insulin resistance and so do high fat low carb ketogenic diets.

The problem is consuming too much energy in the form of simultaneous intake of fats and carbs. This causes fat cells to become insulin resistant and to signal the rest of the body to do so as well.

The key difference between the two approaches is that plant based diets are not nutritionally complete in teh long term. They dont contain adequate, vitamins A, D, K2 or b12 nevermind an optimal ratio of amino acids or fatty acids. They also tend to be antigenic and drive inflammation due to various irritant compounds found in plant foods.

People go vegan and heal their insulin resistance in much the same way they would if they were fasting, but you cant starve yourself forever and expect to be healthy.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

3 hours ago, montecristo said:

The key difference between the two approaches is that plant based diets are not nutritionally complete in teh long term. They dont contain adequate, vitamins A, D, K2 or b12 nevermind an optimal ratio of amino acids or fatty acids. They also tend to be antigenic and drive inflammation due to various irritant compounds found in plant foods.

This topic has been discussed on the forum a thousand times. 

• beta carotene can be converted to vitamin A. Yes the conversion is poor and you need to count the Retinol Activity Equivalent but a single sweet potato has 300% of Retinol Activity Equivalent (vitamin A) because it has 1400% of beta carotene daily requirement so this is irrelevant
  • D - fair enough,  but 30 minutes (bare skin from waist-up) of sunshine gives you 10,000 IU less on cloudy day
  • K2 - healthy microbiome can produce all you need plus some conversion between. Plus conversion from phylloquinone (k1) to menoquinone (K2) is a natural occurrence in the gut. Again, conversion rate is a bottleneck but if you eat enough left greens and legumes no problem again
  • B12 - granted, needs to be supplemented. 

Antigens in plants are irrelevant. If this was a concern we would have died out 10,000 years ago. Steven Gaudry wrote his anecdotal nonsense called Plant Paradox based on this so that he can sell 2,000 $/annual worth of garbage supplements. Any chance you got that information from him? Plants are largely protective from inflammation. Meat and animal products contain no polyphenols and antioxidants where plants contain thousands of varieties. Health goes beyond individual micronutrients. Our pre-palaeolithic bodies are not adapted to be consuming animals several times a day. People who have problems digesting plants have an undiagnosed gastrointestinal problem, most likely increased permeability or enzymatic dysfunction. Meat is unlikely to cure that. 

@Michael569

antigenic substances in plants arent irrelevant, and no Dr. Gundry isnt the only one who is raising this issue, there are countless respected researchers saying the same look up Nora Gedgaudes for example. Are you denying the existence of oxalates, salicylates, lectins etc and the connection with LPS?

Beta carotene content is irrelevant if your like the many people with certain gene polymorphisms that can't do squat with beta carotene, in those cases it's just another thing to process and eliminate. 

TBH vitamin D isnt the most relevant to my point bc you can get it from the sun true, but it's importance cannot be overstated, likely why we have that built in redunddancy to get it from food or sun. But in a northern latitude it would have been necessary to get adequate amounts from animal foods. especially since we would have been clothed to keep warm. Again in the skins of animals lol.

Isn't it odd that all humans absolutly NEED b12 to avoid permanent brain damage and we dont NEED any of the phytochemicals, antioxidants polyphenols found in plants to be totally healthy and survive generationally? Like at all...

What's really not debatable is the non-necessity of plants and the necessity of meat in a context where supplements arent available. We didnt evolve to need supplements did we?

Practically all studies showing benefits from plant compounds are isolating a few variables, noticing certain narrow metrics improving and ignoring potential side affects. Exactly like all drugs and medicines. It doesnt make sense that the human organism would require any of these random xenohormetic compounds.

It's certainly true that some human genetic phenotypes might make those nutrient conversions quite well and have very robust diverse microbiomes, these are the people who seem to be fine with vegan diets but this is the exception. What i believe to be the case is that most people's microbiomes have been decimated given antibiotics glyphosate oversanitation and also dont have the genetic capacity to derive significant nutrition from plant foods, if these individuals try to be vegan it will obviously not work out well for them.

it's not so much that meat cures enzymatic or gut dysfunction it's that not eating potentially harmful compounds prevents the insults in the first place. ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

i also couldnt disagree with this statement more "Our pre-palaeolithic bodies are not adapted to be consuming animals several times a day." The preponderance of evidence points to the fact that we were only able to evolve big brains because we were able to procure enough calories in an efficient way i.e hunting big game, ever heard of the meat-loop? We literally drove the wooly mammoths to extinctioin, you dont think we were gorging on meat everyday??? Native americans drove herds of bison off cliffs by the thousands... and got plenty of vitamin C by passing around the raw liver to every man after a kill. There is also evidence that average brain volume has decreased since the agricultural revolution, when we stopped eating so much meat. Remember civilization is the master disease. THere's a reason we have an archetypical image of the toothless crazy dicrepid peasant farmer from medieval europe, they were lucky if they got meat once a week.

oh and you forgot to debunk me on omega 3's too which coincidentally have antioxidant activity without any associated toxicity from xenohormetic compounds found in plants which are actually classified as oxidants, the antioxidant response is done in via endogenous glutathione upregulation... something you can easily trigger via exercise, cold heat exposure, hypoxia or fasting without need for plants.

I really think the insulin resistance thing doesnt get enough attention though, this is critical for bridging the gap on this debate. The short term improvements with regard to insulin resistance make people very dogmatic about veganism, but it seems to be a mirage when you weigh all the other facts.

antigenic substances in plants arent irrelevant, and no Dr. Gundry isnt the only one who is raising this issue, there are countless respected researchers saying the same look up Nora Gedgaudes for example. Are you denying the existence of oxalates, salicylates, lectins etc and the connection with LPS?

I don't care what individual people are saying. Expert Opinion as a form of evidence has the lowest value in the evidence hierarchy. If we are going to discuss nutritional evidence, you need to go fro the top of the evidence hierarchy which are systemic reviews & meta-analysis. I haven't looked myself but you are unlikely to find any of those indicating harmful plant components what would have been shown on thousands of people. Where there is a LOT of systemic trials following hundreds of thousands of people eating plants and their health improving or them staying disease-free. LPS is NOT the cause of disease. LPS is a coating of gram-negative bacteria that is detected by something called TLR-4 (toll-like receptor) basically an "antenna" of the innate immune system if you will. In normal consequences LPS is caught and destroyed by the immune system without you ever realising. When LPS make their way to the bloodstream problems start. This is because there is a degree of intestinal permeability. This is not caused by plant antigens. This is caused by intestinal inflammation, sugar, poor diet, antibiotics, stress and toxins. LPS is being thrown around as the monster but in fact it has been in our guts since ever. Same as harmful bacteria have. Btw I am not denying the existence of oxalate, salicylates and lectins. I am saying they are irrelevant if your gut is healthy. If you can't tolerate them it does not mean plants are wrong, it means you have some gut healing to do. 

Beta carotene content is irrelevant if your like the many people with certain gene polymorphisms that can't do squat with beta carotene, in those cases it's just another thing to process and eliminate. 

Yes, the gene is called BC01. I don't know what are the statistics of population-wide polymorphisms but can't comment on this unless you do. If this was an issue we would see a drastic amount of progressive blindness in people eating the least animal products which we don't. A lot of people like to throw around MTHFR polymorphisms as some sort of disease wherein itself it's just another useless genetic marker that the academic research has abandoned 10 years ago because it is irrelevant. 

Isn't it odd that all humans absolutly NEED b12 to avoid permanent brain damage and we dont NEED any of the phytochemicals, antioxidants polyphenols found in plants to be totally healthy and survive generationally? Like at all...

if you don't think you need polyphenols I encourage you to stop eating all plant-based foods and see how your body starts to age rapidly. I agree, we don't need them per se but we don't live agricultural simple lives anymore, the world has become stressful and toxic and these compounds are helping us to detoxify, to improve antioxidant defences and protect cells. And when few people claim that plants are bad because they are bad for THEM and their messed up guts, does not mean it is the case. It is very sad that people like Mikeila and Jordan Peterson have more influence on nutrition of public than does 50 years of nutritional science.....marketing is powerful tool unfortunately. 

What's really not debatable is the non-necessity of plants and the necessity of meat in a context where supplements arent available. We didnt evolve to need supplements did we?

The world has never been as toxic as it is today. Each of us is exposed to 100s of substances that not even our parents were. The environment is changing and humans have adapted to protect themselves. I am not for long-term supplementation of anything but sometimes it helps to pick support our health till the person learns how to eat better and protect themselves better. We didn't evolve to eat cow steak either. We would have evolved to eat organs, eyes, bones, carilege, brains, hearts. Tell me how many people eat those things? We even have to pasteurise milk because it is so contaminated ...this is a joke. 

Practically all studies showing benefits from plant compounds are isolating a few variables, noticing certain narrow metrics improving and ignoring potential side affects. Exactly like all drugs and medicines. It doesnt make sense that the human organism would require any of these random xenohormetic compounds

Right....you would believe individual person's anectodes but when somebody gives you a story of 100,000 people followed for 12 years that's just a cherry picking and isolating. I agree that studies are often dogmatic, nit-picking and limiting but not all of them focus on single nutrient. Epidemiology looks at a variety of factors and you are unlikely to found a long term large population studies telling you how plants are harmful. 

What i believe to be the case is that most people's microbiomes have been decimated given antibiotics glyphosate oversanitation and also dont have the genetic capacity to derive significant nutrition from plant foods,

Agree but a healthy microbiome can. Those who let their doctors destroy their health by drugs need to find way back to health. Modern medicine is not doing humanity a great service when it comes to treating chronic disease 

it's not so much that meat cures enzymatic or gut dysfunction it's that not eating potentially harmful compounds prevents the insults in the first place. ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Again we are in the topic of messed up gut. Gut that can't prevent harmful molecules passing to the bloodstream, a gut that can't produce sufficient enzymes and acids. This is not the fault of plants. This is the most likely result of horrible lifestyle and in very rare cases bad ....maybe bad genetics. 

i also couldnt disagree with this statement more "Our pre-palaeolithic bodies are not adapted to be consuming animals several times a day." The preponderance of evidence points to the fact that we were only able to evolve big brains because we were able to procure enough calories in an efficient way i.e hunting big game, ever heard of the meat-loop? We literally drove the wooly mammoths to extinctioin, you dont think we were gorging on meat everyday??? Native americans drove herds of bison off cliffs by the thousands... and got plenty of vitamin C by passing around the raw liver to every man after a kill. There is also evidence that average brain volume has decreased since the agricultural revolution, when we stopped eating so much meat. Remember civilization is the master disease. THere's a reason we have an archetypical image of the toothless crazy dicrepid peasant farmer from medieval europe, they were lucky if they got meat once a week.

I have never looked into evidence of our ancient ancestry diet so can't really clarify my statement on this. The toothless crazy peasant farmer was much healthier than the fat diabetic lord. In UK , I have visited several mansions were once famous landlords used to live profiting from the UK's exploitation of the world. Long story short, these people had terrible health because they only ate meat, butter and eggs. Their peasants had poor health as well because there was no medical cure...you got flu you died. Poor dental health would be seen even today if we didn't have top-class dentistry, expensive toothpastes, brushes, flossing and antibacterial mouthwashes. The poor farmers also started because they had to pay tribute to the king and the lord and often ended up with rotten crops or hypothermia....having 10 kids and nothing to feed them didn't help either. We have moved on from this long time ago. 

oh and you forgot to debunk me on omega 3's too which coincidentally have antioxidant activity without any associated toxicity from xenohormetic compounds found in plants which are actually classified as oxidants, the antioxidant response is done in via endogenous glutathione upregulation... something you can easily trigger via exercise, cold heat exposure, hypoxia or fasting without need for plants.

agreed, we have endogenous antioxidants such as glutathione, SOD, catalase etc but in the world we are today, those are not enough because we use up a lot of glutathione to get rid of toxic pollutants (I know I keep throwing this around but this is a significant factor) Having additional chain-breaking antioxidants from plants (despite them being weaker than glutathione) is helpful and protective. They do not turn into prooxidants, that's what becomes when people start taking vitamin C from supplements...those kinds of antioxidants are a disaster. 

really think the insulin resistance thing doesnt get enough attention though, this is critical for bridging the gap on this debate. The short term improvements with regard to insulin resistance make people very dogmatic about veganism, but it seems to be a mirage when you weigh all the other facts.

You can reverse insulin resistance on any diet as long as you cut out all the pro-inflammatory crap. Saturated fats stiffening the phospholipid bilayer surrounding cells are a great contributor to insulin resistance of cells but it is more complex than that. Lack of exercise is a significant factor as well, probably one of the greatest. 

Edited by Michael569

@Michael569

there are plenty of people who stop eating all plant foods and see dramatic reversals in many of their degenerative conditions in short order even autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes https://www.ijcasereportsandimages.com/archive/2014/010-2014-ijcri/CR-10435-10-2014-clemens/ijcri-1043510201435-toth.pdf. It doesnt seem like these people are experiencing rapid aging as a result of not getting polyphenols. I dont really see how jordan peterson is marketing his diet, he mentioned his personal experience on a podcast.

what's pro inflammatory for one person may not be for another and vice versa. Microbiome science is in it's infancy and it's likely we will need AI and supercomputing to start making headway on the seemingly infinite fractal of interaction between the various organisms in our gut, spit swapping and transforming substances from one thing to another. It seems cut and dry that you eat fiber and bacteria process it and produce short chain fatty acids but in reality depending on the microbial makeup any given input in the form of food has no guaranteed output. The end product could be something very toxic or very healthy, no reason to rely on this. the other function of the microbiome is to allow us to be exposed to various compuounds without ill effects because the microbiome will in many cases intercept and neutralize them.

I agree and am aware of everything you said about LPS in and of itself and also the various causes of permeability you mentioned but there are other factors at play, namely plant defense compounds. According to sadhguru nothing that lives wants to be eaten, and they ALL have strategies to avoid being eaten, animals and plants alike. Why would we eat things that require us to "tolerate" them. THis implies that they are damaging in some way

I would be interested to see research on saturated fat stiffening the phospholipid bilayer and how that translates to rendering inuslin ineffectual shuttling nutrients into the cell, I was unaware of this. On it's face it sounds weird though given that the precursor to the phospholipid bilayer is saturated fat, but what do I know. I am aware that rancid oxidized cooked and processed plant oils cause massive free radical damage and oxidative stress though. Saturated fat is less likely to oxidize at temperature because the hydrogen bonds are more tightly knit with less surface area.

What I have noticed is that my vitamin D levels finally went up significantly after being deficient my whole life while supplementing, to accomplish this i stopped supplemting ironically and dramatically increased the amount of saturated fat in my diet, I dont even get any sun. Of course the meat I eat is of high quality, because of course factory farming is undefensible.

There are too many confounds to name with epidemiological studies rendering them next to meaningless. I do trust unbiased anecdotes because at least they are a holistic assessment and it really doesnt matter what some diluted study or narrow mechanism shows when my health IS an n=1 anyway, so self experimentation and macro outcomes are what matter to me. The qualitative difference in health is the highest standard of evidence for me above all others period.

I'd genuinely be interested to know if there are any direct antioxidant compounds that are found in plants, because as far as Im aware they dont exist and are all stimulating endogenous antioxidant upregulation. 

The rich lords in the UK were almost certainly consuming plant foods in one form or another, likely in the form of bread and alcohol if not other non-rotten farmed produce, which of course will cause disease and insulin resistance along with a meat and dairy heavy diet. THere's a reason when given the chance the first thing people start eating more of is meat, it's naturally palatable for a reason. Animals in nature dont have dental problems, indigenous human populations also dont have dental problems, remember civilization is the master disease.

All of this starts gets into the hierarchy of energy substrates that can be utilized to run the krebs cycle. To give a simplistic outline from inefficient and highest ROS producing to least it goes, alcohol, glucose, lactate and finally ketones. 

Ketones are ulitmately the optimal primary energy substrate for human metabolism, glucose on it's own is just like alcohol in that any excess cant be stored, just radiated as waste heat. Fat on the other hand doesnt get wasted in our metabolism, it all gets stored and utilized perfectly and efficiently granted you dont have excess glucose or alchohol gumming up the system. Oxygen consumption also goes down to 70% of what is necessary to metabolize glucose arresting the aging process related to oxidative damage, making it so in my experience i can hold my breath about twice as long while in ketosis.

MTHFR is especially common in asian phenotypes which heavily favor consumption of animal foods as it happens. I dont think good data exists on this though population wide though.

It seems like you are very well informed but if you arent aware of evolutionary biology you are missing a massive chunk of the story and imho the most important part. How do you think youre even alive? It's because your ancestors were optimized to their particular environment and all of their forebears as well. At the end of the day what matters when it comes to health is how well are you adapted to the environment. It's very difficult to change innate biology in the span of a lifetime or even many generations so it just makes sense to try to recreate an environment that matches the one we evolved in to begin with, maybe that will change with gene editing who knows

@Michael569

You seem very knowledgable about the topic, a lot more so than I am (although I know a pretty lot about this stuff too).

What is your favorite diet for health and productivity (clarity of mind)? 

I personally lean-to dairy-free gluten-free plant-based vegan diet lately with a moderate to high amount of fats. I eat legumes everyday but besides them I try to eat less carbs (Especially stuff like rice).  I eat things like nuts and seeds instead, although in moderation, because too much of nuts is toxic as well. So, instead of having typical 400g+ carb\day veg diet I only consume 150-200 carbs on average.

My main challenges are overconsumption of fiver (can quickly go 50+ of fiber with all these legumes, nuts and veggies), difficulties with filling up calories (I now use potatoes\oats to do that) and the lack of candy (I plan to bulk-buy plant-based protein bars and different vegan sugar-free candies in the future, but these are a bit costly).

We also have a pretty good plant-based milk company here in Russia called "Nemoloko" which costs only around 2$ per littre. Moloko means Milk => Nemoloko = Nomilk. I tend to avoid Rice Milks because of their arsenic content (and rice in general), so these oat guys are very handy.

DhfVR4cX4AAFS9P.jpg

Edited by Hello from Russia

@montecristo I read your entire response. Agree with some points and disagree on others but to carry o with this we'd have to start pulling research and throwing it at each other which is just a huge waste of time as we both have our own beliefs and know what works best for us. I admit, my knowledge of evolutionary biology is poor, it's not something I've ever looked into although it gets thrown around a lot. I do appreciate us exchanging the information and I'll do further research on several topics you've mentioned. I especially want to do a deep dive into saturated fats as there is extreme amount of conflicting research there. 

As such I'm dropping the conversation at this stage :) Thanks for the great chat!

@Michael569

Cheers! Always up for a friendly debate and information exchange. I love having my beliefs challenged and acknowledge them as beliefs and an approximation of what might be true, a solid useful model to filter decisions through is my goal ultimately.

As soon as research starts getting fired back and forth it get's too involved i agree and in this context we can take each other at our words, i trust the information you provide is accurate although all perspectives are obviously partial.  The article i sent you is quite unique in that the poor guy's c-peptide came back to normal which was thought to be impossible for a type 1. This in my opinion has broad implications for all autoimmune conditions.

eager to see what you dig up on saturated fat9_9