Huz

Yaza - Late Night Sitting

52 posts in this topic

@Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj  That's very cool! When I tried to go back to sleep I was very alert so I couldn't fall back to sleep right away. When I finally did I had or, (I could recall) a lot of vivid dreams. Dreams all over the place. When I did wake, I felt a like the sleep pattern was still with me. It felt a little like I was out of myself a bit. Almost a ghosty feeling at first. If that makes sense?  I'm still feeling a great stillness around me a couple hours later.  Almost like a morning buzz. My head feels very light and open.

@Piotr Yea we got to do this again. You mention the childhood memories and that reminded me. Yes I did too at one point. This is definitely an interesting mix!

Sounds dope, ill try it tonight.

Which meditation technique did you guys use?

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

@Huz88 I would say more imagery than daytime. After both head nods there was heightened clarity and focus. When I watched the video he talks about exploring deeper levels of awareness. I remembered that when the meditation was really still and silent and it suddenly seemed like I started to drop deeper. I felt as if I was moving downward and some illuminated visual things were flashing by me. I couldn't really make out what they were. I had the impression it was leading somewhere, than suddenly it just stopped . I may have caused it stop because it was so different. Maybe I mentally bailed out? But that in itself did seem very interesting and something to explore again. I should have just let go and let it happen. Oh well, next time maybe. I'm glad to hear you had a great experience. It was well worth it. I'm glad we all got together and did this. Nice!

There are various ways to reach the sub-consious. The surface of the sub-consious can be reached by mental talk. To reach deeper levels of the sub-consious you can experience mental images (you can reach deeper by the experience of bodily sensations). So I guess as you were becoming more mindful of your mind, you experience images that your mind flashes back at you. This is because you were experiencing deeper parts of the mind. Don't let the awareness get attached to the images as we do with mental talk. This is just a distraction, just notice them from a distance. Incorporate all of the sensory experiences in your awareness not just the images. But good stuff!! yeah it is really interesting.

33 minutes ago, Oneness said:

I start with vipassana, then when my focus/concentration is acute enough my awareness increases. When i get to the point where my mental noise isn't so much of a distraction (with this night sitting it wasn't really at the start, whats why i could get to deeper states faster and because the body is very relaxed) I let my concentration/awareness expand to all sensory experiences and then "do nothing". It is like you are caressing the progression of your awareness.

1 hour ago, Oneness said:

Shikantaza/do nothing because it dosen't require so much effort in the middle of the night with 3 hours of sleep, hehe. :D 

Hallå

54 minutes ago, Huz88 said:

you were becoming more mindful of your mind, you experience images that your mind flashes back at you

@Huz88 Yea, I pay no attention to the images. That's only distractions. Artifacts of the mind. What was interesting though was the feeling of dropping into deeper levels of awareness. It felt as if I was falling towards a void beyond all play of the mind. I guess the mind won out because I did bail. In the video he talks about remaining aware even at the deepest levels. He said "that's a big deal". Next time there will be no bailing out! Here is what I experience, If I realize I'm heading toward a really deep level, I bail out. But if I'm just there suddenly, out of nowhere, than it's all cool. I'm there already, too late!  I've been in the absolute void before. But when I realize it's coming, I hit the eject button, I guess. So what's that about?

@Huz88 After asking you that question "What's that about?", the answer comes to me. My mind is reluctant to experience death again.  Something in me is drawn to it, it's a fantastic experience because all fear of death falls away. But the mind doesn't want to go there again if it realizes what's in store for it. It starts dragging it's feet and kicking like a child who doesn't want to go to the dentist. lol I need to over-ride the mind next time through total surrender and allow that to consume me like a moth before a flame. Last night caught me off guard. I just wasn't willing to go that deep.

Edited by cetus56

Did this tonight. Set alarm clock at 4am (usually I get up at 8am). Then did 45 minutes of Awareness meditation ("Meditation for Beginners" from new Leo video) with eyes closed.

It felt very comfortable to sit in this sleepy state with eyes closed, and I almost did not drift to sleep and was pretty aware all the time. Sleepy state gave me much more patience and stability with no decrease in awareness. 

Then I went to sleep again, slept more than usual with vivid dreams. But from my lucid dreaming practice, which I did a lot, I know that it is always like this - if you wake in the early morning, then get really awake (drink tea or go to cold shower, for example), and then go to sleep again, you will have crazy vivid dreams. So meditation does not affect it.

I think it is useful to train both meditation states - while being sleepy and also while being fully awake. This will make the meditation experience more rich and probably will lead to better results.

17 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@Huz88 Yea, I pay no attention to the images. That's only distractions. Artifacts of the mind. What was interesting though was the feeling of dropping into deeper levels of awareness. It felt as if I was falling towards a void beyond all play of the mind. I guess the mind won out because I did bail. In the video he talks about remaining aware even at the deepest levels. He said "that's a big deal". Next time there will be no bailing out! Here is what I experience, If I realize I'm heading toward a really deep level, I bail out. But if I'm just there suddenly, out of nowhere, than it's all cool. I'm there already, too late!  I've been in the absolute void before. But when I realize it's coming, I hit the eject button, I guess. So what's that about?

@cetus56 I think you as an ego is afraid what is in store for it. From my experiences, the times when I go into deep states during the day it is normally a gradual process. The journey is gruelling, a lot of fight from your identity within that comes though mental talk and body sensations. As you said in the your next post, you have experienced something which cannot be understood by your mind, something that you had been completely unaware of for your whole life. It must have been a shock. It seen as a sort "spiritual" death (not physical - but analogous to dying), realising the thing has been trying to control your whole your whole life isn't the true you. You are going to be shit scared but I guess keep on going. There will be massive resistance. I recently came back from a retreat and had some interesting/deep insights - but when I got home, it was like hell and I was shit scared when I was going to sit down on the cushion. It is defiantly passing now - I guess it is just part of the practice.

Out of curiosity, what were the experiences like when you suddenly dropped into a deep states of awareness? How did you managed to do that? Was it spontaneous?

Edited by Huz88

Ahh I didn't manage to wake up. I was in a ridiculous dream all night where I was at some water park/Budapest spa party at the night with my school mates. 1000s of people, multicoloured lights everywhere, fireworks, music. Everyone was getting smashed, taking drugs and shagging. Was pretty interesting lol.

2 hours ago, Naviy said:

Did this tonight. Set alarm clock at 4am (usually I get up at 8am). Then did 45 minutes of Awareness meditation ("Meditation for Beginners" from new Leo video) with eyes closed.

It felt very comfortable to sit in this sleepy state with eyes closed, and I almost did not drift to sleep and was pretty aware all the time. Sleepy state gave me much more patience and stability with no decrease in awareness. 

Then I went to sleep again, slept more than usual with vivid dreams. But from my lucid dreaming practice, which I did a lot, I know that it is always like this - if you wake in the early morning, then get really awake (drink tea or go to cold shower, for example), and then go to sleep again, you will have crazy vivid dreams. So meditation does not affect it.

I think it is useful to train both meditation states - while being sleepy and also while being fully awake. This will make the meditation experience more rich and probably will lead to better results.

How have you managed to develop lucid dreaming? Something I have never been able to do but want to. I only dream but never think I am in a dream when dreaming.

@Huz88 Sounds like you have a good idea what I'm talking about than. I experienced that level twice. Once in Sept. and again in January. The first time it was great when it first happened but than it hit me like a ton of bricks hours later. I didn't even know there was a name for it until I watched the video. What does Shizen Young call it? Dipping below the (something) level? Just a guess, but I think maybe the sub-conscious seen it coming and was already at work in making it not happen. Like I said, I didn't expect that so it caught me off guard. Had I been somewhat prepared I would have worked through it. I was sabotaged by my own mind! Lol As far as how to get to that level. I've tried to induce it but it never happens. It seems to be a hit or miss thing maybe?  I finally get my chance and I bailed out-great! The first time I was inducing the no-self experience and it happened suddenly. The second time it just happened in meditation. That time was great and no "hangover" at all. Is odd that I didn't go all the way this time because 3 days ago I had the direct experience of no-self really strong and held it for over an hour after my meditation. That's the longest I have ever gone. So this is what I'm working through at this point. Just to mention- It's great to have someone to relate to on this matter. Cool! I thought maybe I freaked everyone out yesterday when I said I realized what may have happened. You know how it is, this level needs to be experienced or else it could be an odd subject.

3 hours ago, Huz88 said:

Out of curiosity, what were the experiences like when you suddenly dropped into a deep states of awareness?

@Huz88 It felt like I became pure being and entered into another dimension or something . It was a space that was absent of all things but it was vibrant on some level that the mind can't understand. (all this is just a layman's words).

It did not work today, but I will try it again. I set the clock at 3hrs but woke up at 2.55hrs and was laying there already awake and decided not to do it. But I will try again today.

Edited by Toby

I'm trying to find more information on that word Shinzen Young is using in the video, (bava-unga-sota) or something close? Anybody familiar with it?

Edited by cetus56

@Huz88 I woke up last night at 4:30 to do an hour long sit. I got interrupted 34 minutes into it because my son woke up, so I didn't make it to the end. I didn't notice too much of a difference. Maybe I was a little sleepier and had the lurch that Shinzen Young was talking about a few times. But I usually sit at around 9:30 pm for an hour, so I tend to get sleepy during my sits because I try to go to bed by 11:00. I think I was a bit too close to being fully awake because I happened to accidentally fall asleep at the same time as the kids (9:00). So, I had already had 7.5 hours of sleep by the time I got up. So, I'll try again tonight at an earlier time like 3:00, so it's more in the middle of sleep.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

8 hours ago, Huz88 said:

Ahh I didn't manage to wake up. I was in a ridiculous dream all night where I was at some water park/Budapest spa party at the night with my school mates. 1000s of people, multicoloured lights everywhere, fireworks, music. Everyone was getting smashed, taking drugs and shagging. Was pretty interesting lol.

Have you been to Budapest? My husband is originally from Szekesfehervar which is about an hour away from Budapest. It's a beautiful city.

Edited by Emerald Wilkins

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

9 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@Huz88 Sounds like you have a good idea what I'm talking about than. I experienced that level twice. Once in Sept. and again in January. The first time it was great when it first happened but than it hit me like a ton of bricks hours later. I didn't even know there was a name for it until I watched the video. What does Shizen Young call it? Dipping below the (something) level? Just a guess, but I think maybe the sub-conscious seen it coming and was already at work in making it not happen. Like I said, I didn't expect that so it caught me off guard. Had I been somewhat prepared I would have worked through it. I was sabotaged by my own mind! Lol As far as how to get to that level. I've tried to induce it but it never happens. It seems to be a hit or miss thing maybe?  I finally get my chance and I bailed out-great! The first time I was inducing the no-self experience and it happened suddenly. The second time it just happened in meditation. That time was great and no "hangover" at all. Is odd that I didn't go all the way this time because 3 days ago I had the direct experience of no-self really strong and held it for over an hour after my meditation. That's the longest I have ever gone. So this is what I'm working through at this point. Just to mention- It's great to have someone to relate to on this matter. Cool! I thought maybe I freaked everyone out yesterday when I said I realized what may have happened. You know how it is, this level needs to be experienced or else it could be an odd subject.

Yeah I think don't try to force trying to get into deep, samadhi like experiences. It is about maintaining high states off concentration during the sit and if it happens it happens. Well thats what it is like for me. Yeah that what this forum is for, I am sure this sort of stuff happens to people. Thanks for all you input bro! Has been helpful to me as well :D 

Edited by Huz88