Thewritersunion

English Degree

9 posts in this topic

I current am wanting to get my way into the publishing industry and need to develop my skills as a writer.

Should I pursue an English Degree, and if so then what will I learn of it?

Note: my grandma is paying for all my college, no joke

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

I have an English degree, but I'm Hungarian, so that's somewhat different.

If English is already your native tongue, there is no point in pursuing a degree in it, with the notable exception of wanting to teach. 

It's probably best to get a degree in another language, such as French or German. You'll always be sought after career-wise if you are really good at languages in general, no matter what you ultimately choose to do with your life. In fact, I'd advise you to save your grandma's money, US colleges are a rip-off anyway and get a degree abroad, for instance in Germany, where higher education is actually free. 

The college environment is nice in some aspects. I did enjoy it myself for the feeling and experience of it. I have to admit though if I really dedicated myself to self teaching I get way better results. I would try to find out how you learn best and maximize that path for the best results. 

Also, there is no better way to get started, than to start publishing whatever it is you're trying to do. By getting in and getting the experience first hand you are going to see some big improvements there alone from just that. If you decided to go to college for it or not I would highly recommend that. I did actually enjoy English in college, there was quite a bit of good stuff to learn from it. 

I feel like to become a good writer you should find the work of the best in the field you want to go in and study all of it too. Find out as much as you can about those writers and get a good sense of what they did to create their work. Make sure your work reflects you, but using this will help you learn a lot. 

I love when I find a good author and I just want to read all of the work they make. I just read a short book and I felt the need to buy their other book that was about $16. Their writing style was very good and it keep me enticed through the whole read. If you figure out what can get someone to do this, then you will be well on your way to success. 

On 3/31/2020 at 5:58 AM, Thewritersunion said:

I current am wanting to get my way into the publishing industry and need to develop my skills as a writer.

It could develop your writing skills.

I don't see how it will get you any closer to the publishing industry, as that's more of a sales/marketing/biz domain.

Being a writer is TOTALLY different from being a publisher.

Decide clearly on what you actually want. Do you want to write amazing books or do you want sell/publish the books of other people?

If you want to be great writer, you will never achieve that merely through a degree. You must be writing non-stop in your own free time. That's how true writing skills are developed. Plan to invest 10,000 hours in writing on your own time for yourself.

If you want to be a publisher, look into degrees about marketing and biz.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura 1. Already write till basically 4 in the morn till 8 at night

2. thank you! 

Also, last question. Do you think I should learn another language to get the grasp of linguistics?

1 hour ago, Thewritersunion said:

Also, last question. Do you think I should learn another language to get the grasp of linguistics?

Try to contemplate what language and symbols are. Very fruitful contemplation

2 hours ago, Thewritersunion said:

Do you think I should learn another language to get the grasp of linguistics?

What is the point of your writing? Why are you doing it?

I'd focus on that and cut out tangents.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura give people a diverse and deep catalog of fictitious and non-fictitious to improve themselves and all of entertainment.

I do this because entertainment is the coping mechanism of humanity and should go as deep and as broad as possible.

you can learn writing anything by yourself! writing novel, academic article, blog post, IELTS/TOEFL writing, copywriting, ( ghostwriting :))) why would you even bother getting that degree? especially we're in the era of ever-growing technological development and you can buy any course and information are at your fingertips!

so I suggest you to pick something which is more passion-able and practical for ya!  

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"