jes

Procrastination

30 posts in this topic

Whenever I procrastinate, I try to break the task up into little pieces/steps. Then I say to myself that I only have to do the first part. Sometimes I really only do the first tiny part, but most of the time I do more pieces, once I am busy or complete the whole task. I find that the hardest part is to start. So if the first part is small, you are likely to convince your mind to start. Success!

Maybe you "shouldn't" do anything to combat procrastination. Keep doing it and see what the result is for something you don't "really" want to procrastinate on. Let it happen but then reflect on it - really slow down and analyze your thoughts/emotions/etc. Really think it through. 

There are no solutions. It's a therapy. You need to take small steps to hack your brain and body and learn to push yourself to the limit. Number one thing to get started would be join a one hour workout program, any workout program. You will see how much it can change things for you. If you already are working out, step no.2 would be using a pomodoro timer and extend your attention for that long. 

If you have negative motivation(if your motivation comes from outside), you procrastinate. If you need something, you procrastinate so much. If you want something, you just do it. 

I have proscrastinated chronically for decades. You can quite literally waste your life this way. Awareness is great but just observing when you do it isn't enough to change it because of the nature of procrastination. You can't sit and do nothing to stop yourself doing nothing.  I think investigating why you do it is key. What are you avoiding?  Rejection? Failure? Being busy? Being not good enough?  Feeling uncomfortable?    There is a reason or reasons why you are avoiding.   If you don't think you can change it alone, it's important to get some help. I have therapy and have begun exploring the root of the problem. Unless you get to the root and understand it then how can you change?  

Wisdom is settling in and experiencing reality in the moment.