jes

Procrastination

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone , hope you are all in peace ?

what should be done to avoid procrastination ?

Just now, jes said:

what should be done to avoid procrastination ?

Avoid it.  

1 minute ago, Mal said:

Avoid it.

you made me laugh ,Thank you :D 

Edited by jes

You can use the technique mentioned in the new video: "Awareness alone is curative"

Just now, Mary said:

You can use the technique mentioned in the new video: "Awareness alone is curative"

I did that , I am aware I am procrastinating ,I am even aware i M procrastinating here , Nothing changes ? 

@jes I'm trying to use the technique in some other areas of my life.

For example, There is a site that I'm a little addicted to. I tried to be aware during the process of checking that site. At first I didn't feel anything different. But just now, I had the thought that I really don't wanna go check that site and I didn't.

Leo said it's a process that will take time and you have to be patient with it. I am trying to apply awareness whenever I'm watching a tv series these days. To tell the truth, It hasn't worked so far.

You can use the sedona method. (Haven't tried it myself. But I know it's used for procrastination. Also, Leo has a video on procrastination too.

Meditation helps too. Whenever you feel like procrastinating, meditate for 10 minutes. (Whatever technique you are comfortable with. For me, mindfulness meditation worked the best for this problem.) Then just after that go do your work. Just after meditation you'll be more aware and focused and you probably won't procrastinate.

But to be honest, I had the problem with procrastination. It's not something that you can cure in one day. It takes time. Over the time as you build awareness, it might melt away mostly.

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

It's not something that you can cure in one day.

true and thank you :)

@jes

OK, just to elaborate for you, the mindfulness way is getting the intellect out of the way by employing it:

So when you're procrastinating use your mind and say the word

"Procrastinating"

And just observe yourself in action.  Saying the word "procrastinating" seems to make me aware very quickly

On 6/24/2016 at 1:52 PM, jes said:

I did that , I am aware I am procrastinating ,I am even aware i M procrastinating here , Nothing changes ? 

This is my personal opinion, but I believe being aware that you are procrastinating is not enough. You have to study on the subject. Or more, precisely, start reading about procrastination random internet content, about 30 min a day. I am sure this will help a lot. See, it is like brain washing yourself. Your brain gets dirty and you have to clean it and reading about it is a way to do it. If ISIS can brainwash people to kill themselves brainwashing procrastination out of your mind is a piece of cake.

@jes Just start taking action.  I totally understand what you are saying and I have dealt and still do deal with procrastination.  What I do is I start taking action, even if it is small and you don't feel like doing it the key is to just start doing it.   Once you start you will enjoy it.  It won't be easy but just start and don't listen to your mind.

learn to burn your feet to the fire. Procrastination is a habit i still struggle with but one thing i've realised is a habit which is grilled in our system from almost since childhood will take time to cure. Be patient but work, HARD. And yea, don't beat yourself up too much for it will only make things worse. 

try to journalise and note everything you possibly do so that you can track your progress and make corrections.

ps. you can read Eat that frog by Brian tracy, its pretty helpful and i would also recommend you to watch a ted talk by tim urban titled, In the mind of a procrastinator, might help you. 

2 hours ago, Vaishnavi said:

learn to burn your feet to the fire. Procrastination is a habit i still struggle with but one thing i've realised is a habit which is grilled in our system from almost since childhood will take time to cure. Be patient but work, HARD. And yea, don't beat yourself up too much for it will only make things worse. 

try to journalise and note everything you possibly do so that you can track your progress and make corrections.

ps. you can read Eat that frog by Brian tracy, its pretty helpful and i would also recommend you to watch a ted talk by tim urban titled, In the mind of a procrastinator, might help you. 

I saw the video by ted talk for procrastination...you just recommended.

It was fun!

And the only thing shocked me was the calendar.

That monkey a total frustration for me.

Either do the task or do nothing 

the pain of doing nothing will get too much and you'll then give in and decide to do the task you were avoiding 

you might have to repeat this more than once 

@jes action should be taken to avoid procrastination, I read a book recently by Martin medows he says that procrastination can be used as a tool to identify what you really want to do.. For eg if you are supposed to study and you procrastinate studies and do some painting then maybe you should be an artist and not what you are studying. 

However it all connects to your life purpose, if you've found it and your really passionate about it you won't fall in the trap of long term procrastination. 

@Elton I procrastinate studies and do personal development , ( in past i used to read psychology books and self-help) 

3 hours ago, Elton said:

it all connects to your life purpose, if you've found it and your really passionate about it you won't fall in the trap of long term procrastination. 

Recently working on life purpose , I have found it , yes my procrastination is getting cured